News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Randy Thompson

Have you seen this before? Is it valid?
« on: June 20, 2013, 11:54:25 AM »

Normally you will find yardage from the sprinklers to the center of the Green but usually when you get to more then 250 yards, there will be something like dream on, or no way! Would marking all heads like this course help you determine club selection and créate a plan of attack from that point?

Jason Topp

Re: Have you seen this before? Is it valid?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2013, 11:56:12 AM »
I like them for layup distances but at 378 I do not need to worry about it.  I find them useful up to 300 though.

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2013, 11:56:40 AM »
You don't need my response to know what it is.

Bill Seitz

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2013, 11:57:51 AM »
I like them for layup distances but at 378 I do not need to worry about it.  I find them useful up to 300 though.

Yeah, 378 seems like a bit much.  I mean, If I need to hit it 275 just to get to a good layup position, I don't really need a sprinkler head to tell me it's more than what I've got in the bag.  It should be pretty obvious.  

Matthew Petersen

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2013, 12:00:19 PM »
I guess the only way it makes much sense to me is if you've got some kind of major lateral hazard ahead and caddies/yardage books or whatever are helping give you an idea of how far out/over it is. Otherwise, even for planning a layup that seems a bit much.

Josh Tarble

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2013, 12:02:23 PM »
I've seen a couple sprinkler heads WAY out that say something to the effect of "Too Far"  ;D

I thought those were humorous

Brent Hutto

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2013, 12:02:57 PM »
There are a couple of Par 5's on my home course fronted by ponds. One of them you can get within about 86 yards of the center of the green before hitting the water. The other is about 92 yards.

The one with the water at 86 yards is quite a bit downhill with the pond at the bottom of the hill. Downhill enough that even from, say, 310 yards I have to hit 5-wood instead of 3-wood to be sure of not finding the hazard. On that hole I think the longest marked sprinkler is about 320-something but I could see big hitters wanting to know that layup distance even if they were 340, 350, 350 out.

So in a special situation like that I suppose 378 might be useful to a handful of players. A lot of good players would rather lay up to 95 yards if they could rather than playing too safe and laying back to 120 or something because they don't know their distance.

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2013, 12:27:09 PM »
Haven't seen this before but it is totally valid. Why not prepare for the future instead of having to retrofit? And useful right now if course hosts or hopes to host a flogger tournament.
Charlotte. Daniel. Olivia. Josephine. Ana. Dylan. Madeleine. Catherine. Chase. Jesse. James. Grace. Emilie. Jack. Noah. Caroline. Jessica. Benjamin. Avielle. Allison.

Terry Lavin

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2013, 12:34:51 PM »
Point O'Woods had a couple that read, "Dreamer" but too many dreams were realized so they're marked now.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2013, 12:42:41 PM »
Point O'Woods had a couple that read, "Dreamer" but too many dreams were realized so they're marked now.

See what I mean?
Charlotte. Daniel. Olivia. Josephine. Ana. Dylan. Madeleine. Catherine. Chase. Jesse. James. Grace. Emilie. Jack. Noah. Caroline. Jessica. Benjamin. Avielle. Allison.

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2013, 01:30:29 PM »
My former club, a Palmer design, had a marker inscribed  "Hitch 'em up" on a par5 for those ambitious players trying to reach the green in two from about 300y+.

"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2013, 10:09:15 PM »
Melvyn Morrow's worst nightmare :)

Bill Gayne

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2013, 04:07:50 AM »
It's for the knucklehead that would pace it off to the 200 yard marker.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back