News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David Whitmer

With The Open Championship next on the major schedule, and with Phil starting a thread talking about the Muirfield golf course, I thought I'd share some photos taken last month.

I played Muirfield on May 2, 2013...beautiful day to play. If any of you read The Boston Globe, my brother Mike was on the trip and wrote an article about it that ran in the "Travel" section a few weeks ago. In the article he spoke of how our afternoon round was played on pretty much an empty golf course. Looking around Muirfield and realizing you have the place almost to yourself is an awfully cool experience, especially knowing the world will be there or watching in a few months.

I'll list yardages from the tees we played.

Hole #1, Par 4, 446 Yards

From the tee:

The approach:

Greenside bunker:

Hole #2, Par 4, 365 Yards
Downhill from tee to green.
From the tee:

Left side of the green:

Hole #3, Par 4, 377 Yards

From the tee:

Approach:

Third green from fourth tee:

Hole #4, Par 3, 182 Yards
A bit of a false front sends balls off the front of the green, and potentially into a front-right bunker (as I found out).
From the tee:

Fourth green from fifth tee:

Hole #5, Par 5, 510 Yards
I thought this was a great hole...fantastic way to climb the hill. Plays much longer than the yardage.
From the tee:

From the right side rough:

The approach:

Hole #6, Par 4, 440 Yards
Wall comes right up to the fairway on the left side, but not really in play unless you are right in front of it. Dogleg left; four bunkers on the inside of the dogleg are very penal.
Only shot I got is a blurry one of the approach:

Hole #7, Par 3, 147 Yards
One of the high points of the course, and very exposed to the wind. Tough to not have the wind affect your golf ball.
From the tee:

Hole #8, Par 4, 443 Yards
Downhill tee shot; very inviting. Dogleg right.
From the tee:

Bunkers on the inside of the dogleg will most likely force a short shot back to the fairway:

The approach. Green is over a little mound, and therefore only the top of the flagstick is visible. Plenty of room short of the green:

Hole #9, Par 5, 505 Yards
The tee the pros will use:

From the tee:

From the fairway:

The approach. The green falls from left to right:

The wall just left of the ninth fairway:

Hole #10, Par 4, 470 Yards

Only shot I got is from the tee. You must avoid the right bunkers if you want to reach the green in regulation. Tee shots that end up in a bunker or the rough must negotiate two cross-bunkers 100 or so yards from the green.

Hole #11, Par 4, 354 Yards

Blind tee shot up a hill. It's fun and high anxiety to climb the hill and discover where your tee shot ended up.
From the tee:

The approach:

Hole #12, Par 4, 380 Yards

Downhill from tee to green.
From the tee, with Gullane Hill in the background:

The approach:

Bunker to the left of the green:

Hole #13, Par 3, 156 Yards

Green sits up, and slopes hard from back-to-front.
From the tee:

From the left of the green:

Hole #14, Par 4, 449 Yards

From the tee:

The approach:

Hole #15, Par 4, 394 Yards

From the tee:

The approach:

Neat wrap-around bunker back-left of the green:

Hole #16, Par 3, 186 Yards

From the tee:

Hole #17, Par 5, 506 Yards

I loved everything about this hole. Dogleg left with cross bunkers influencing the second shot. Nice green complex in a bit of a bowl.
From the tee:

From the fairway:

A nasty cross bunker:

The approach:

Hole #18, Par 4, 418 Yards

From the tee:

The approach:

Right green-side bunker:

Short of the green:

I looked hard, but couldn't find anything not to love about Muirfield. The course...routing, bunkering...world-class. If the rough is not out of control, I don't see why it can't be enjoyed by any class of player. It rewards good shots and punishes bad shots. The clubhouse, locker room, lunch...as many have said, just outstanding. We were welcomed very warmly by everyone. I only wish, when we walked off after 36 holes, we could have gone back out.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 10:37:08 AM by David Whitmer »

Phil McDade

Re: Muirfield - Honourable Company of Edinburgh Golfers Photo Tour
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2013, 12:49:06 PM »
David:

Thanks for posting this -- I like what I see:

-- Several tee shots that appear to force the golfer to choose a line or work the ball, always a good trait I think in golf architecture.

-- Bunkering that looks appropriate for a championship course; I've seen far busier bunkering on other courses. They look quite strategically placed.

-- Some quite-near examples of OOB near the course of play, such as the 9th and the 2nd green. In moderation, I think this is good use of OOB.

It looks a bit tidy for a links, in a way that other links perhaps do not. But I didn't see anything weak out there, and if there are no truly standout holes ala the 5th at Merion or the 13th at Augusta, maybe it's a case of the sum being greater than its parts.

Thanks for posting; if it doesn't get a sticky to stay on the front page, I'll bump it when the Championship begins. ;)

Stewart Abramson

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2013, 05:57:57 PM »
David  - Nice pics thanks for posting. I was there 9 May with GCAer Jim Eder and two other friends. The rough was thick and deep. Here's a link to more photos:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/golfcoursepix/sets/72157633587913586/show/with/8779119012/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/golfcoursepix/sets/72157633587913586/

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2013, 08:15:04 AM »
Thank you David Nice tour and perfect timing.

I recall many of those shots from the little GCA get together there about 5(?) years ago. Very solid course, but as they put you off 1 in the AM and 10 in the PM my overall impressions are a bit vague. Still I really enjoyed watching the Els win there and two weeks ago on my way to North Berwick I pulled upto the gates and saw the stands etc.  As Simon Holt said N Berwick is in tip top nick and this augers well.  I’m looking forward to this very much even if my wife’s Nephew has arranged a Christening on the Sunday PM!

For those who were on the course with me that day can you remember if it was foggy or the visibility was particularly poor? Every time I read about the views at Muirfield, I think “Where?”  I’m normally a total sucker for the merest whiff of salt water, but the pics show what I missed.

Maybe for once I had my eyes down concentrating on the Golf Course. ;)
« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 08:17:35 AM by Tony_Muldoon »
Let's make GCA grate again!

Michael Herrmann

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2013, 09:01:03 AM »
I was with David on this grand Scottish excursion (dude in the white sweater in the 2nd last picture) and will attempt to post a few more pictures from our day as well, perhaps showing a couple different angles on some of the holes.

Michael Herrmann

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2013, 09:09:29 AM »
View from 3rd tee looking back down 2.

Whoops, better fix that.

Gary Slatter

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2013, 10:29:15 PM »
good photos, check the flyovers on the Open site too.
Gary Slatter
gary.slatter@raffles.com

Michael Herrmann

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2013, 08:52:43 AM »
Take 2 on some additional photos:

3rd Tee Box looking back down #2.  Very good back left hole location here.

« Last Edit: June 21, 2013, 08:56:34 AM by Michael Herrmann »

Michael Herrmann

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2013, 09:03:02 AM »
Standing on 4th Tee box looking back down 2 & 3.  The spot up on the 4th was one of my favorites on the course.

Back of the 3rd Green from 4 tee

4th Green from 5 Tee

Another shot of 4th Green

7th Hole

Approach to 8 from just in front of the cross bunkers

Standing on 12th Tee

Approach to 12 - Another one of my favorite spots on the course

Thomas Dai

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2013, 10:35:13 AM »
Super photos. Many thanks for sharing. A fantastic course (and place).

I reckon David's comments "I looked hard, but couldn't find anything not to love about Muirfield" sums it up really well.

All the best

Simon Holt

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2013, 01:57:06 PM »
My only gripe is the toilet that spoils the view of the 7th green.  I wish they would grass the roof or blow the thing up.
2011 highlights- Royal Aberdeen, Loch Lomond, Moray Old, NGLA (always a pleasure), Muirfield Village, Saucon Valley, watching the new holes coming along at The Renaissance Club.

Bob Jenkins

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2013, 04:01:56 PM »

Can you say, "Gathering Bunkers"? Wonderful pictures bring back some great memories of Muirfield.

Emile Bonfiglio

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2013, 05:50:21 PM »
I played a round once with an older man who spoke of the amazing lunch that is served between rounds at Muirfield. Did you get to partake?
You can follow me on twitter @luxhomemagpdx or instagram @option720

Brett_Morrissy

« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2013, 07:36:50 PM »
I am surprised by the lack of deep rough, I have always pictured Muirfield with knee to waste high "golden yellow rough".

Is that are common maintenance practice today, or is it Open prep?
@theflatsticker

Alex Lagowitz

« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2013, 12:25:20 AM »
I played a round once with an older man who spoke of the amazing lunch that is served between rounds at Muirfield. Did you get to partake?

I played here a few times and can confirm.  You go into locker room and change into jacket and tie and eat at a four course meal at a long table.
The food was great.
Afternoon you must play alternate shot - also a blast.

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2013, 04:02:43 AM »
I am surprised by the lack of deep rough, I have always pictured Muirfield with knee to waste high "golden yellow rough".

Is that are common maintenance practice today, or is it Open prep?

Looks like David played on 2nd May...

This year growth was behind and all links courses remained with winter style cut back rough for far longer.... Roughs on most links courses shot up very quickly around the last week in May. It will be a different story now, Brett...

James Bennett

« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2013, 07:38:14 AM »

I recall many of those shots from the little GCA get together there about 5(?) years ago. Very solid course, but as they put you off 1 in the AM and 10 in the PM my overall impressions are a bit vague.

For those who were on the course with me that day can you remember if it was foggy or the visibility was particularly poor?

Tony

it was March 2007.  It was foggy/misty and quite grey.  If you did get a view of the water, eg on the par 5 5th, then the water was also very grey.

I played off 10 in the morning, and 1 in the afternoon (foursomes).  Clearing the cross bunkers on 10 with my second was a challenge that early in the morning!

That is still one of my most favourite days of golf.

James B
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Bill_McBride

« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2013, 11:36:35 AM »

I recall many of those shots from the little GCA get together there about 5(?) years ago. Very solid course, but as they put you off 1 in the AM and 10 in the PM my overall impressions are a bit vague.

For those who were on the course with me that day can you remember if it was foggy or the visibility was particularly poor?

Tony

it was March 2007.  It was foggy/misty and quite grey.  If you did get a view of the water, eg on the par 5 5th, then the water was also very grey.

I played off 10 in the morning, and 1 in the afternoon (foursomes).  Clearing the cross bunkers on 10 with my second was a challenge that early in the morning!

That is still one of my most favourite days of golf.

James B

Especially the part where Philip and I made a mess of the 18th to lose one down in the afternoon!   :P

It's been too long. 

David Whitmer

« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2013, 02:57:40 PM »

I played here a few times and can confirm.  You go into locker room and change into jacket and tie and eat at a four course meal at a long table.
The food was great.
Afternoon you must play alternate shot - also a blast.

I concur with Alex. Lunch was great...part of a super experience. And we loved playing afternoon foursomes. It took us 2 hours, 25 minutes to get around.

Also, we had heard the staff and members might be a bit standoffish. We experienced the total opposite. Everyone was very nice and welcoming, including a member we spent some time speaking with at the end of the day. The entire experience was a fantastic one.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back