News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Kavanaugh

Re: Raise the goal to 11' or rollback the ball, what's the difference?
« Reply #75 on: June 19, 2013, 02:17:25 PM »
There are 35 handicaps that drive the ball farther than Jack did in '71. Usually golf is a choice between long and straight. Many choose long. Jack didn't have to choose.

No there is not.  These types of fabrications do nothing to promote logical discussion.  No 35 handicapper hitting 14 drivers over the course of a round is going to out drive 71 Nicklaus.

This sounds like me saying that I could get a punch in on Joe Lewis.  It makes no sense and is an insult to the sweet science.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 02:19:28 PM by John Kavanaugh »

Bryan Icenhower

« Reply #76 on: June 19, 2013, 02:28:57 PM »
I am reminded of Lee Trevino in the just released documentary saying he drove the ball 240 and Jack drove it 260-280 during the 71 Open.

240 is my hybrid
260 is my 3 wood
280 is my drive

Which of the potential causes that have been brought up in this thread allows me, a 9+ handicap to hit the ball further than or equal distance to some of the great players of my lifetime:
Is that because I am bigger and stronger than the above?
Do I have a better swing due to coaching?
Is it in the turf conditions?
Or is because of the main piece of equipment in the game - the ball and the club?

Bryan,

It is what you are smoking.  You, a nine handicap, do not drive the ball anything like Jack did in 71.

I don't smoke anything ... and i never said I drive the ball like Jack did in 71.  I simply said length, as quoted by Trevino.

I have no illusions that I am anywhere even remotely in the same solar system as a professional golfer.  I am amazed every single time I get to witness what they can do.  But I am also not delirious to think that the major contributor to the length I can hit the ball is due to anything but the technological advances of the ball and the club.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #77 on: June 19, 2013, 02:34:25 PM »
There are 35 handicaps that drive the ball farther than Jack did in '71. Usually golf is a choice between long and straight. Many choose long. Jack didn't have to choose.

No there is not.  These types of fabrications do nothing to promote logical discussion.  No 35 handicapper hitting 14 drivers over the course of a round is going to out drive 71 Nicklaus.

This sounds like me saying that I could get a punch in on Joe Lewis.  It makes no sense and is an insult to the sweet science.

Now you are just being silly in your close mindedness.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Jason Thurman

« Reply #78 on: June 19, 2013, 02:56:23 PM »
"I can hit the ball" does not mean the same thing as "I hit the ball." 35 handicappers can hit the ball. 9 handicappers can hit the ball. Jack Nicklaus hit the ball.

Do you guys realize that the GIR percentage on Tour basically hasn't changed since the 60s? As offended as everybody gets when someone knocks a 7 iron 220 yards, I doubt players today are any more accurate from that yardage than they were 50 years ago. I'd certainly take Ben Hogan and his 1 iron from 220 over Gary Woodland and whatever club he wants to use. Tom Doak says the only reason not to roll back is to protect the ego of average players who don't want to hit it shorter. The only reason I hear for a rollback is to protect those same egos from the jealousy they feel when watching a 220 yard 7 iron fly into a greenside bunker.

Terry, since you're a Bulls fan, I'll forgive you for delusionally believing the league has gotten worse in the last 15 years. The only knock on Jordan's incredible career is that he had his best years when the league was at its weakest since the 70s. Terrell Brandon was an elite point guard in 1996. He'd be an elite backup today. The second best shooting guard of Jordan's era couldn't even dribble while looking up or with his left hand. He'd fear the Beard. I'll grant you that the center position was better in the 90s and early 2000s, but that's where it ends. I can't believe you would suggest that today's free-flowing pick-and-roll offenses are less disciplined and entertaining than the endless isolation sets of 10-15 years ago.
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #79 on: June 19, 2013, 03:11:51 PM »
... The only reason I hear for a rollback is to protect those same egos from the jealousy they feel when watching a 220 yard 7 iron fly into a greenside bunker.

Let's not be skipping Grandpa Joe's posts now! You could stand to learn something.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Mike Hendren

« Reply #80 on: June 20, 2013, 05:49:25 PM »

The shoes make a world of difference. As much as a golf ball if you played back in the seventies. The gym floors, backboards and breakaway rims are noticeable also. Note: I'm old and remember seeing final fours in the Checkerdome.

Barney, tell me you saw Bill Walton go 21 of 22 from the field in the '73 title game in St. Louis to defeat Clean Gene Bartow's Memphis State Tigers featuring Dr. K, Little Tubby and the Big Cat?

Bogey
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

David Ober

« Reply #81 on: June 20, 2013, 06:48:38 PM »
John - amen.

I worked at Nike back when Air Jordan 1 was introduced (I still have a pair!).   The shoes weren't much beyond a leather version of Converse Chuck Taylors.  Today's shoes are space-age compared to 1985.

The athletes are a lot better today too.  I love Doctor J, but let's be real - LeBron James would be a world-class athlete in anything he put his heart to.

Today's golfers are SO much better top-to-bottom than 30 years ago. 

Define "world class," and define what you consider a sport. Is golf a sport?

Jim Nugent

« Reply #82 on: June 21, 2013, 12:02:35 PM »
Jason, without taking any position on your discussion about past vs present hoops, I was interested to see Kobe give his list of the five best pro basketball players of all time:

Magic, Bird, Jordan, Kareem, Russell.

All players from a past era.  Any thoughts on how they would stack up in the modern game? 

Phil McDade

« Reply #83 on: June 21, 2013, 01:04:41 PM »
Jason, without taking any position on your discussion about past vs present hoops, I was interested to see Kobe give his list of the five best pro basketball players of all time:

All players from a past era.  Any thoughts on how they would stack up in the modern game? 

Jim:

You list three players -- Magic, Bird, and Jordan -- that probably saved pro basketball, similarly to the way that Ruth saved baseball. And those three guys in many ways epitomize the modern game, based on multi-dimensional skills (passing, shooting rebounding), movement, and the need/ability to make their teammates better. Grantland's Bill Simmons, who writes about pro basketball these days better than anyone, lists those 5 as the five best players of all time (in order, starting at the top -- Jordan, Russell, Jabbar, Magic, Bird).

Having said that, I think there's an argument that the last 7 years or so have brought in an infusion of talent better than anything we've seen since the early-to-mid 1980s -- LeBron, Durant, Westbrook, DWade, Carmelo, Rose (with an asterisk right now), and arguably even Irving, Curry and Harden are at a level beyond any group that's come in for the past 20-25 years. And two guys on the downside of their careers but still playing -- Duncan and Kobe -- are maybe the best (power forward) and 2nd-best (shooting guard) players at their positions in the history of the game (if you assume, as I do, that Jordan's a shooting guard and LeBron's a freak with no real position).

Jim Nugent

« Reply #84 on: June 22, 2013, 01:43:48 AM »
I don't know the modern game well at all.  Of the older guys, the only one who surprises me is Russell.  He was an important cog on a great team.  But I think lots of centers outplay him. 

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #85 on: June 22, 2013, 07:33:35 AM »
I don't know the modern game well at all.  Of the older guys, the only one who surprises me is Russell.  He was an important cog on a great team.  But I think lots of centers outplay him. 

You are mistaken.
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

Jason Thurman

« Reply #86 on: June 22, 2013, 10:24:31 AM »

Kobe’s list matches mine, at least for the next few years. I’m too young to have seen Kareem and Russell. However, knowing what I know about Russell based on the footage I’ve watched and everything I’ve read, he would have thrived in any era. He was the greatest teammate in the history of sports. No one possessed more versatility, mentally and physically, to do exactly what was needed to not only fit HIS role with the team, but to create the roles in which others would thrive. Watching Duncan’s amazing performance in these Playoffs further solidifies how great Russell was. As good as Duncan is, and as amazing as his run was, he couldn’t quite get it done against a heavily favored opponent. The fact that Russell ALWAYS got it done, even in the later years as a player-coach in series in which he was an underdog, is just amazing. He’s the only guy in Jordan’s league as a competitor, and frankly he’s probably better. He’s The Old Course of basketball players – often overlooked for a lack of flash and presumed to be antiquated, but full of sublime gifts that would continue to keep him relevant in a modern world.

Kareem is a little tougher. Obviously as a good athlete at that height, he was always going to be good. I worry that he wouldn’t have enough strength to dominate the modern game the way he did in the 70s, but he’d still be the best center in the league today I would guess. He’s the Firestone of basketball – long and skinny and tough but with defenses that, while still good, don’t hold up quite as well against the modern player as they did in his original era.

People like to knock Bird’s athleticism and suggest he’d be overmatched today. They forget that he was a poor athlete even by the standards of the 80s, but still dominated that decade. If Dirk can win an MVP and a Finals MVP, Bird could still be an absolute killer today. Also, modern coaching and analytics would benefit him more than any other player on this list. He’s the Merion of basketball – always underestimated and infinitely more confounding in practice than in theory.

Magic was such a complete player that he’d also be great in any era. He’d be the same matchup nightmare as a 6’9” point guard today that he was in the 80s and early 90s. If anything, he’d also benefit from the smaller direction the league has taken. You could surround him with shooters and a single big, much like Lebron, and he’d dominate. He’s the Pebble Beach of basketball – the iconography sometimes outgrows the pure genius of the entity itself, and we take his greatness for granted.

Of course, Michael basically created the modern era and played in it. He was an All-Star in his 40s against many guys who are still in the league. He’d easily be the best shooting guard in the league today. He’d also probably average 40 a game with the modern hand-checking rules. He was a severely underrated team player. As much credit as Lebron gets for “making his teammates better,” it was actually hard to prove that thesis until this year. So many supporting players had their best season playing alongside Jordan, while very few who have played alongside Lebron can say the same. And what always gets forgotten about Jordan is that he’s absolutely the best defensive guard of all-time. The guy that he matured into in the 90s would have been the best in the game in any generation, as he still featured excellent athleticism but knew how to restrain it. He’s the Pine Valley of basketball – great physical attributes coupled with an overall vision and comprehensive set of skills that makes him fearsome and awe-inducing at the same time, with the only potential knock against his greatness being that we never have really seen how he’d hold up against all-time best competition.

I think the league is deeper and smarter today than it’s ever been, but I really think all the guys above would have thrived in any era and many would have benefitted by playing for coaches using modern offensive and defensive theory. It’s scary to think about how much better Russell and Jordan in particular could have been with analytics-based defensive principles at their disposal, and likewise with Bird on the offensive end. Yikes.
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #87 on: June 22, 2013, 11:33:25 AM »

Wilt the the best other center at the time, and Bill just killed him.

Jim Nugent

« Reply #88 on: June 22, 2013, 01:01:34 PM »
Jason, Kareem's sky hook was unstoppable.  I put him near the top, no hay problema.  Again, my list goes up to the mid-90's or so, as I don't really know the game or the players now. 

Bird and Magic, easy choices.  Jordan, unanimous. 

But I disagree with Garland, that Russell owned Wilt.  The Celtics nearly always owned everyone.  I think Wilt outplayed Bill at center though.  Points, rebounds, assists, strength, intimidation.  Even though Wilt regularly got double and triple-teamed, it wasn't close, AG's assurance notwithstanding.  And when Wilt had a great supporting cast, his teams outplayed the Celts as well.  The 1967-68 76ers took everyone apart.  So did the 1971-72 Lakers, though Russell  no longer played by then. 

I would also pick Shaq over Russell at center.

Again, I agree with 4 out of 5.  Not sure who to pick as the final player, though.     

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #89 on: June 22, 2013, 03:19:50 PM »
Jim,
Didn't Phil Jackson recently pick Russell as his greatest all-time?  I could be wrong about that, but I think he did.

Russell didn't care how he beat you, but you WOULD be beaten at the end.  I think we can be deceived by his relatively low scoring averages; IMO Russell scored as much as he needed to score.

I think Russell is in a very, very small group at his position; Wilt and Kareem clearly, then Hakeem, Duncan, and Shaq in the next tier but very close.

Consider this.  Auerbach never won a title til Russell came to Boston.  Russell had won two at USF, then Olympic gold, then 11 NBA titles.  The last NBA title was as a player-coach; the next year with Russell gone the Celtics were 34-48.

Not enough?  Try this!  In deciding games in playoff series, Russell averaged 18 points and TWENTY-NINE POINT FIVE rebounds.  Read that again slowly...
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

Jim Nugent

« Reply #90 on: June 22, 2013, 03:56:40 PM »

I think we can be deceived by his relatively low scoring averages; IMO Russell scored as much as he needed to score. 

One thing that tips me against this is Russell's field goal average.  Career it was only .440.  Real low, especially for a center.  In the playoffs, it was even worse: career .430, and a number of years he didn't even reach .400.

That makes me think Russell didn't score more because he wasn't so great at scoring.  Wilt, btw, averaged .540 during his career, including one year at .683 and another at .727.  Only once did he finish under .500, and that was his first year as a pro, when other teams regularly triple-teamed him. 

Not enough?  Try this!  In deciding games in playoff series, Russell averaged 18 points and TWENTY-NINE POINT FIVE rebounds.  Read that again slowly...

Both men averaged over 20 rebounds a game, throughout their careers.  They averaged about the same number of assists.  Wilt scored twice as much as Bill (literally), and shot for a much higher percentage as well.  But Wilt did all this mostly playing on teams that were nowhere near as good.  When he had good teammates, while his scoring average fell, his overall stats improved by leaps and bounds; and his teams did far better as well. 

Take 1966-67.  Wilt averaged 24.1 ppg; Bill averaged 13.3.  Wilt averaged 7.8 asssist; Bill averaged 5.8.  Wilt pulled down 24.2 rebounds per game; Bill averaged 22.  Wilt hit an incredible .683 of his FGAs; Bill only .454.  That year the 76ers set a record for most wins, and pretty well trounced all their opponents, as they ran away with the NBA title. 

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #91 on: June 22, 2013, 04:21:21 PM »
Jim,
I would not argue for Russell over Wilt.  I was responding to your statement that "lots of centers outplay him."  There are only two in NBA history for which you can make a case against Russell.  Wilt, who was an athletic freak of the first magnitude, and Kareem, who had the single most unstoppable offensive weapon in basketball history.

Winning championships has become more and more the standard by which great players are separated one from another.  If THAT is the measure, then Russell stands absolutely alone at the top, regardless of position, regardless of era, and with the possible exception of Yogi Berra, regardless of sport.  Throw in college and the Olympics and there is literally nobody that compares.

I don't like that standard as THE measure of players.  But Russell's record for winning is just absurd and there is no reasonable way to discount it.

Bruce Bearer

« Reply #92 on: June 24, 2013, 08:56:49 PM »
"My only defense against that logic is my firm stance against bifurcation.  I don't want to play golf with that same silly feeling I use to get when I dunked on an 8 foot goal."

Bifurcation is happening at every PGA event and even more at every Major.  You might use the same driver and use the same ball and play from the same tees but I don't think you'd have too much fun playing every day with 4" rough, 30 yard wide fairways and greens that roll at 14. 

Anybody want to play in those conditions a few times a week?

Whats the difference if weekend golfers play with a different ball when we already play on "different" courses?

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #93 on: June 24, 2013, 09:15:20 PM »
Why not reduce every course to one set of tees and have equipment issued to us based on swing speed?  Where will it stop and when will we tell a beginning golfer to give up hope. Hope is all some of us ever had.

Take me, I just turned 50 and while I have no chance I do have hope. I did ok in a couple of senior tournaments. Taking away my ball would be like taking away my Father's driving license. I've seen that kill many an old man. Don't underestimate taking away that one spark of hope that many golfers awaken every time they play.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 09:18:35 PM by John Kavanaugh »

John Kirk

« Reply #94 on: June 24, 2013, 09:43:19 PM »
Jason, Kareem's sky hook was unstoppable.  I put him near the top, no hay problema.  Again, my list goes up to the mid-90's or so, as I don't really know the game or the players now. 

Bird and Magic, easy choices.  Jordan, unanimous. 

But I disagree with Garland, that Russell owned Wilt.  The Celtics nearly always owned everyone.  I think Wilt outplayed Bill at center though.  Points, rebounds, assists, strength, intimidation.  Even though Wilt regularly got double and triple-teamed, it wasn't close, AG's assurance notwithstanding.  And when Wilt had a great supporting cast, his teams outplayed the Celts as well.  The 1967-68 76ers took everyone apart.  So did the 1971-72 Lakers, though Russell  no longer played by then. 

Again, I agree with 4 out of 5.  Not sure who to pick as the final player, though.     

Since you are unwilling to pick either LeBron James or Kobe Bryant for your top five, how about Hakeem Olajuwon?

I think LeBron James is already one of top two or three players ever.  He's got four MVP trophies.  I just don't see Larry Bird or Magic Johnson able to match up with him on both sides of the court.  James shut down Tony Parker so thoroughly in the last two games, that coach Popovich thought it unwise to put Parker on the floor at key late moments of the game.

Furthermore, I think the modern players in general are superior, so I don't think players such as Jerry West, Oscar Robertson and Rick Barry would match up well against the big modern players, even though they were superb competitors.  I could be wrong.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #95 on: June 24, 2013, 11:35:47 PM »

I only saw Bill Russell play the last season of his career, when I was a little kid; he was well past his prime.  And his team won another championship anyway.

What I can say is that if you were putting a team together based on character, Russell might be first on the list.  Jim Urbina and I were lucky enough to sit next to him at dinner a few years ago, for the event that opened The Rawls Course, when Bob Knight was still the basketball coach at Texas Tech and got a lot of former players to come and play the golf course.  Of all the various people I've met in the sports world through golf, I would say he was easily the most impressive.  Completely comfortable in his own skin, very thoughtful, gentle sense of humor.  Completely the opposite of his reputation from his playing days and in the press.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #96 on: June 24, 2013, 11:43:45 PM »
But I disagree with Garland, that Russell owned Wilt.  The Celtics nearly always owned everyone.  I think Wilt outplayed Bill at center though.  Points, rebounds, assists, strength, intimidation. ...

Call me an old man, but what I saw was Russell outplaying Wilt at center for everything, but point scoring, but then that was not Bill's role.

They made a big deal about LeBron blocking a dunk in the playoffs. I will be impressed when LeBron blocks the equivalent of a Wilt dunk. I saw Bill do this and they broke the rim doing it.

These young players are a bunch of sissy's. ;D

John Kirk

« Reply #97 on: June 25, 2013, 12:22:49 AM »

I only saw Bill Russell play the last season of his career, when I was a little kid; he was well past his prime.  And his team won another championship anyway.

What I can say is that if you were putting a team together based on character, Russell might be first on the list.  Jim Urbina and I were lucky enough to sit next to him at dinner a few years ago, for the event that opened The Rawls Course, when Bob Knight was still the basketball coach at Texas Tech and got a lot of former players to come and play the golf course.  Of all the various people I've met in the sports world through golf, I would say he was easily the most impressive.  Completely comfortable in his own skin, very thoughtful, gentle sense of humor.  Completely the opposite of his reputation from his playing days and in the press.

That's nice.  I have a good friend here in Portland who played a charity type round of golf with him many years ago, and said Bill Russell was very enjoyable, once he recognized his playing partners were comfortable and genuine.

Of all the greatest American sports heroes of the 20th century, Bill Russell is the hardest to evaluate, because he played safety and goalie for a basketball team.  My father revered him, and when I was young, he talked about the Celtics "making a run" or "the Celtic break".  The defensive rebound and outlet pass will always be the most powerful play in basketball.  It's less visible in the modern pro game, but it's alive and well.

Jim Nugent

« Reply #98 on: June 25, 2013, 12:34:29 AM »
AG -- "lots" is the wrong word.  "Some" might be better. 

John Kirk -- I don't know the modern players or game, so I can't include any of them.  What that really means is that I don't a greatest ever list.  My comments/opinions are about the older guys. 

Olajuwon was spectacular.  So was Bill Walton, for that matter, before his injuries made him a shadow of what was an incredibly dominating player. 

Terry Lavin

« Reply #99 on: June 25, 2013, 11:20:33 AM »
Sorry for the thread jack, but I have hockey on the brain.  The Blackhawks come from behind with two goals in seventeen seconds to win the Stanley Cup.  The Hawks had a player competing on a numb foot from sciatic pain due to a bulging disk.  The Bruins had a player competing with a broken rib and a separated shoulder.  A Hawks player took a puck in the face and was back on the ice moments later.  In hockey, they call those being "out with an upper body", "out with a lower body" or, in Bergeron's case, a "body injury".  "Out with an upper body" in Tiger's case might be him being seen with a blonde with a nice "figure".

In basketball, Derrick Rose sat on the bench during the playoffs two months removed from being medically released to play.  His teammates fought through unbelievable injuries to compete, some even puking into a bucket on the bench before going back in to play.

I'm calling Rose's condition a "lower nut-sack injury".

Okay, back to golf.

n.b.  Hey, John Kirk, I got your #100, top of page 5 spot.  You are nothing if not inspiring!
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back