News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Kavanaugh

Re: Raise the goal to 11' or rollback the ball, what's the difference?
« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2013, 11:34:11 PM »
LeBron looks funny without the headband. What is sad is that I stay up all night watching hockey and basketball but napped during the US Open. it has to be because the powers of golf are manipulating the game to fit their egos. Let it go, let it fly. Stop quoting tired old movies.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2013, 11:35:59 PM »
The 10' goal dumbs down the game just like the low spin ball does.
Put the spin back and raise the goal.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2013, 11:39:14 PM »
The 10' goal dumbs down the game just like the low spin ball does.
Put the spin back and raise the goal.

Your ability to ruin a thread is unmatched. 

Wade Whitehead

« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2013, 11:39:36 PM »
John:

What you're missing is that as offensive players have gotten taller, faster, and stronger, so have defensive players.

WW

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #29 on: June 18, 2013, 11:42:16 PM »
Tony Parker just scored 5 points that thrilled me unlike something I couldn't taste has in years. Not happening on an 11' goal.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #30 on: June 18, 2013, 11:43:31 PM »
Tony Parker just scored 5 points that thrilled me unlike something I couldn't taste has in years. Not happening on an 11' goal.

Yep, it's a dumb game now.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #31 on: June 18, 2013, 11:53:10 PM »

As I said, the three point line has failed in its attempt to improve the game.

Oops, see Ray Allen....

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #32 on: June 18, 2013, 11:54:20 PM »

Garland,

Just because your golf scores reflect a Paul Westhead's coached team average you are not qualified to comment on this thread. Boring, isn't it?

John Kirk

« Reply #33 on: June 18, 2013, 11:54:50 PM »
What a game!  Best NBA game in recent memory.  Many will recognize that fact.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #34 on: June 19, 2013, 12:00:02 AM »

Garland,

Just because your golf scores reflect a Paul Westhead's coached team average you are not qualified to comment on this thread. Boring, isn't it?

What makes you the expert on basketball? The fact that they don't teach tall?

John Kirk

« Reply #35 on: June 19, 2013, 12:03:35 AM »
« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 12:12:19 AM by John Kirk »

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #36 on: June 19, 2013, 12:04:04 AM »

Garland,

What makes you the expert on basketball? The fact that they don't teach tall?

Please, my Paul Westhead reference was a classic. Go back to your stupid hole and muck up another thread.

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #37 on: June 19, 2013, 12:09:03 AM »

Please, my Paul Westhead reference was a classic. Go back to your stupid hole and muck up another thread.

It was appreciated by the Philly kid, he is now an Oregon Duck:

http://www.goducks.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=4303&SPID=236&DB_OEM_ID=500&ATCLID=3720219&Q_SEASON=2012

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #38 on: June 19, 2013, 12:11:01 AM »
Golf could use a David Stern to bring it back. Merion was a disaster compared to this. I can't wait for game seven. Pure genius.

John Kirk

« Reply #39 on: June 19, 2013, 12:14:53 AM »
Ran, if you're reviewing this thread, thanks for letting a few old ballplayers stray from the primary topic.  I can't believe how great that was.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #40 on: June 19, 2013, 12:18:09 AM »
This thead has everything to do about golf architecture. Records are made to be broken, not to be protected by legislation. Let the ball fly or watch the game die.

Jason Thurman

« Reply #41 on: June 19, 2013, 12:27:25 AM »
There's really no comparison between the excitement and entertainment tonight vs the excitement and entertainment provided by any golf tournament I can recall.

Watching Duncan ride again was special. Seeing Shuttlesworth gun it down was annoying as hell. I hate the Heat but it's hard to complain too much about a game where both teams played great and left it on the floor, and one of them just got beat.

I just hope the Spurs have enough gas left to run it back on Thursday.
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #42 on: June 19, 2013, 12:28:46 AM »
Yep, that's why they still use wood bats, and now outlaw steroids. Legislation bad, progress good.

Your reference to Paul Westhead was not particularly intelligent. It just served your MO, that's all.

David_Elvins

« Reply #43 on: June 19, 2013, 12:29:20 AM »
As basketball players got bigger and stronger it was often proposed to raise the goal to 11'. Now that golfers are bigger and stronger it is being proposed to roll back the ball. I think both are terrible ideas.

Whatever your thoughts, there is no link between the two.  Not all change is bad and not everything that stays the same is bad.  Each change or proposed change needs to assessed on it's merits.  

The ring staying at 10 feet and the 3 point line have been great for basketball.  As the general population of basketballers has gotten taller, the need for extremely tall man mountains has decreased.  This has resulted in basketball teams with a more even spread of talent across the floor with more emphasis of skill at the power forward and centre position and less emphasis on height.  Almost all players now are expected to shoot from all over the court, dribble the basketball, set screens, pass the basketball and defend all positions.  This has led to greater teamwork and less predictability on the court.  For example, 20 years ago, the screen and roll was the domain  of the point guard and the centre/power forward. Now you might see the same play with the point guard screening for the power forward.  or the centre screening for the power forward, or the shooting guard screening for the point guard...

As for golf, you have to look at the extra distance the ball travels and judge how that has affected the game.  This has no relvevance to changes in basketball.  If basketball has improved as a game and a spectacle because there are more players on the court with well rounded games, the most pertinent question would be as to whether shorter effective courses encourage golfers to have more skillfull well rounded games?  
Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

Jason Thurman

« Reply #44 on: June 19, 2013, 12:30:27 AM »
I thought the Westhead reference was pretty rich actually.
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #45 on: June 19, 2013, 12:43:25 AM »
David,

How many eagle putts have you had this year?  Are you willing to have fewer next year for the good of the game?  What is even more interesting, but may not apply, is the question of how many rounds did you muck up trying to get another eagle putt?

One of the things that you roll backers don't get is the beauity of temptation. When you roll back the ball you take away God's greatest test.  The test of temptation. Take away our desire to drive par fours or reach par fives in two and you remove that evil voice on our shoulder. Is that what you want?  Are you that weak that you want those decisions made for you?  Please, man up and take control of your own life.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #46 on: June 19, 2013, 12:55:14 AM »
One of the things that you roll backers don't get is the beauity of temptation. When you roll back the ball you take away God's greatest test.  The test of temptation. ...

Nope, it just changes the nature of temptation.

And, if your ego is so tied up with eagles, then just Tee it Forward. You know the program created for the egoist golfer.

David_Elvins

« Reply #47 on: June 19, 2013, 01:13:23 AM »
One of the things that you roll backers don't get is the beauity of temptation.

I understand it.  No doubt modern equipment has made some holes more tempting for more golfers - the tenth at Royal Melbourne West would be one example.  

But witout a detailed statisitical analysis of how many holes have become more tempting for more golfers vs how many holes have become less tempting, your point is invalid.  Hitting a wedge into par 5,for example, is not exactly a shot filled with temptation, even though it results in an eagle putt.  

The whole idea of rolling back the ball is to restore the degree of temptation that the original architects intended their golf holes to have.  

and yeah, one of the great basketball games tonight. 
« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 01:21:24 AM by David_Elvins »
Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #48 on: June 19, 2013, 01:14:46 AM »
Garland,

Time for bed and to turn out the light. Sorry that you obviously did hours ago. We must not have watched the same game.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #49 on: June 19, 2013, 01:17:10 AM »
Well, at least I used to watch Paul Westhead and his stable of stars at LMU parade through Portland every year.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back