News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Joe_Tucholski

Re: UK Month Long Trip
« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2013, 02:30:01 PM »
Joe -

I am enjoying your posts and your journey. One question, was the 36-hole comp you played in at Stonehaven or elsewhere?

Enjoy your time in the Highlands!

DT

David sorry it was 36 at Murcar Links.  I went back and looked at a photo tour Kyle Henderson did in 2009 and fairways and rough are much different.  Unfortunately I have no photos to provide a contrast.  Not sure if the course allowed low numbers in past events but feel confident if there is wind there will be high numbers later this month at the European Boys’ Team Championship.

Today I purchased a day pass at Golspie.  I've determined I love Braid courses and especially his par 3's.  Each to a different direction and each with a very good green site.  I also like his short par 4's which each course seems to have a few of.  The only down side of the day is after eating lunch at the club I went to check in again for my third round the female who took my money in the morning was no longer present and the young guy at the desk said I'd have to pay an additional fee, which I decided against.  So the day pass isn't really a day pass (or the kid at the register was confussed) but instead a reduced fee for subsequent rounds.

I asked if the Dornoch day pass will allow more than 2 rounds when booking/paying and was told it does, so really hoping that's the case as I plan on at least 54 tomorrow.

David_Tepper

« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2013, 02:39:05 PM »
Joe -

If you return to Golspie and speak with Jeanette in the golf shop and explain what happened with being asked to pay for a 2nd round, I am 99% sure she will do the right thing for you. Enjoy your time in the Highlands.

Yes, the five par-3's at Golspie are a very good collection of holes. I like that you have to use at least 3 or 4 (and some times 5) different clubs to play those holes.

DT 

Joe_Tucholski

« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2013, 07:35:01 PM »
Joe -

If you return to Golspie and speak with Jeanette in the golf shop and explain what happened with being asked to pay for a 2nd round, I am 99% sure she will do the right thing for you. Enjoy your time in the Highlands.

Yes, the five par-3's at Golspie are a very good collection of holes. I like that you have to use at least 3 or 4 (and some times 5) different clubs to play those holes.

DT 

David it was being asked to pay for the third round, it wasn't that large a concern as the rain picked up at that time so 36 was good.

Today was the day ticket at Dornoch.  I ended up playing 72 holes and of course loved it.  I definitely felt more comfortable with the course after each round.

Of note relating to GCA there was a poster in the lobby indicating changes to the third hole.  The poster indicated the owners of the houses up and to the left have complained of an occasional ball in their yard and asked the club to take action.  Apparently Mackenzie and Steel are moving the fairway at th turnpoint further right.  They are also moving bunkers.  Have to love how houses built next to a golf course 15 years ago are able to demand changes to a 100+ year old course.

Aside from the changes.   Favorite hole was 14.  Least favorite hole was 7.  Thought the back 9 much superior and more difficult.

My favorite round of the 4 was my last round.  Started at 730.  At that time the sun was low, shadows long and the course quiet.  Taking my club back on 8 with the sounds of waves and birds is enough to send chills mid backswing.

Tomorrow Brora and Tain.

jeffwarne

« Reply #28 on: July 03, 2013, 08:05:29 PM »
Does your wife have a sister? ??? ??? ??? ??? ;D ;D ;) ;)
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

David Davis

« Reply #29 on: July 05, 2013, 02:14:46 AM »
Joe,

Good luck, I just want to say that The Netherlands portion of this trip looks amazing!!! No stress and some of the best courses you will play.

Budget conscious as well. We've got you covered here.

See you soon,

David
Sharing the greatest experiences in golf.

IG: @top100golftraveler
www.lockharttravelclub.com

Joe_Tucholski

« Reply #30 on: July 05, 2013, 03:13:47 PM »
Took today off from golf and drove the highlands making a loop to the west coast and then back up loch ness.  The drive through the highlands and west coast was well worth it with great scenery...loch ness not worth stopping for...full of crap for American and Japanese tourists to waste money on but that's about all.

I was thinking about playing a morning round tomorrow and noticed Fortrose is having an open comp and there looked to be open times.  Unfortunately the times showing online weren't the available times for the draw and the actual available times wouldn't let me make my time at Nairn.  The locals I've talked to have all said Fortrose is the better course.  Should I try and back out of Nairn to play at Fortrose...it would only cost me 20 pounds lost to cancel at Nairn (and may be able to get it back).

David_Tepper

« Reply #31 on: July 05, 2013, 03:59:17 PM »
"Should I try and back out of Nairn to play at Fortrose...it would only cost me 20 pounds lost to cancel at Nairn (and may be able to get it back)."

Joe T. -

Fortrose vs. Nairn kind of epitomizes the "quirk" vs. "championship" course debate.

Fortrose is one of the most remarkable settings & routings for a golf course you will ever come across. There are many 280 to 340 yard par 4's there. It is certainly a course worth playing at least once.

Nairn is a championship course that has hosted the British Am, the Walker Cup & the Curtis Cup. Personally, I would rate it half a grade below Royal Dornoch.

DT
« Last Edit: July 05, 2013, 04:49:53 PM by David_Tepper »

Thomas Dai

« Reply #32 on: July 05, 2013, 04:31:01 PM »
Joe,

Enjoying your tour comments. Great stuff. Given the long summer evenings, could you perhaps play in the Nairn open comp and then play Fortrose on a twilight or evening basis. Watching dolphins from the beach at the southern end of the Fortrose/Channery Point peninsula is also popular I believe. Play a few holes, watch some dolphins, play the rest of the holes.

All the best.

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #33 on: July 05, 2013, 05:22:48 PM »
Happy to advise hopefully meeting up with Joe at Leven next week. If he can tear himself away from St Andrews for a day...
F.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Joe_Tucholski

« Reply #34 on: July 09, 2013, 04:38:22 PM »
I ended up playing Nairn and it seems the wind comes up on days I play comps.  Nearly half the field NRd.  After my NR at Murcar where i was told over 75% of the field and allthree in my group NRd I was determined to finish and ended with a 92 which easily put me in the top half field of 9 HCP or less.  One of the guys I played with had the largest spread from front to back I've seen, going out in 49 and back in 4 under 32.  The course was a good course.  On the putting green the wind would blow the ball into movement but on the course I didn't encounter it.  The greens were nice but I've found the firm greens I the UK to be true everywhere.  I wouldn't have been satisfied at the regular 92 pound visitor rate but at 20 it was a great deal.

The next day played Nairn Dunbar and played about as poorly.  Guys at BUDA hope you aren't paired with me as I'm bad luck for playing companions as well as I was the low score in the group of relatively similar handicaps.  I prefer Nairn to Dunbar for sure.  If costs were the same (they were both 20 pounds for comps) I'd play Nairn 8 to 2.

After arrival at MECA (the weather is sunny and hot with a mild breeze...legit shorts weather) walked up to the new and was sent straight to the tee where I was paired with two guys playing practice rounds for the Boyd quaich (so played with guys from England and south Africa from the medal tees).  After the new walked straight to the Jubilee.  After diner played a twilight round on my own at the Eden course.  I said it before but there is something magical about twilight golf (for a fair bit of the round a slight rainbow halo around the twilight sun was visible).  The Eden greens are in competition for softest and bumpiest greens I've played in the UK but I still really enjoyed how the course played along the estuary.

Today played the castle, new and Strathtyrum (reminds me of a Texas links course).

Tomorrow hoping for TOC (potentially 2 slots at 640 with guys from River Forrest CC or 2 slots at 9 with residents).  Thinking I should get there at 5ish.  Also can beggars be choosers.  If I'm first in line can I turn down 640 to play at 9 if there are slots for both?  Then over to Leven with Martin.

Joe_Tucholski

« Reply #35 on: July 09, 2013, 04:40:18 PM »
Joe,

Good luck, I just want to say that The Netherlands portion of this trip looks amazing!!! No stress and some of the best courses you will play.

Budget conscious as well. We've got you covered here.

See you soon,

David

David if some of the best are yet to come I'm feeling very lucky indeed as I've played what I consider some very good golf/great courses.

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #36 on: July 10, 2013, 11:20:29 AM »
During the first round of the south east links at Deal. Several players shot par or better (36) for the front nine and returned 85s. The pleasures of our and back courses!
Cave Nil Vino

Mark Pearce

« Reply #37 on: July 10, 2013, 11:55:21 AM »
During the first round of the south east links at Deal. Several players shot par or better (36) for the front nine and returned 85s. The pleasures of our and back courses!
A different standard, I know, but the greatest contrast between nines I have ever witnessed was Giles Payne, sometime of GCA, who at Burnham & Berrow had an outward nine of 63 and came back in 37.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #38 on: July 10, 2013, 04:47:47 PM »
Mark I once had a 10 on the 5th at Deal, it was a shock as I hadn't been in double figures for years. On the 6th I took 11 and 12 on the 9th to be out in 60. Fortunately I came back in level par 36 for a decent 96!

Looking forward to hearing if TOC came off today.
Cave Nil Vino

Ben Malach

« Reply #39 on: July 10, 2013, 05:05:37 PM »
I am playing the New course tomorrow if your down at 1:30.
@benmalach on Instagram and Twitter

Bill_McBride

« Reply #40 on: July 10, 2013, 05:08:12 PM »
Mark I once had a 10 on the 5th at Deal, it was a shock as I hadn't been in double figures for years. On the 6th I took 11 and 12 on the 9th to be out in 60. Fortunately I came back in level par 36 for a decent 96!

Looking forward to hearing if TOC came off today.

Another good argument for match play!

Bill_McBride

« Reply #41 on: July 10, 2013, 05:16:39 PM »

Tomorrow hoping for TOC (potentially 2 slots at 640 with guys from River Forrest CC or 2 slots at 9 with residents).  Thinking I should get there at 5ish.  Also can beggars be choosers.  If I'm first in line can I turn down 640 to play at 9 if there are slots for both?  Then over to Leven with Martin.

I'd recommend the earlier time, Joe.  The pace will be much faster (second time out), you'll have time for lunch at Anstruther Fish Bar en route to Leven, and the drive to Leven via Anstruther is 45 minutes.

Joe_Tucholski

« Reply #42 on: July 10, 2013, 05:24:08 PM »
At TOC waiting at 445 and was #4 in the line.  The first two arrived at 4 and the third just after them.  I was able to get out at 9am with two "locals" with thick accents...German.  A mother daughter pair where the daughter is attending boarding school in town.  The other walk on single and I were both wearing bayonet and black horse jackets which was a bit of a coincidence.  Before talking about the course a word of caution.  I purchased some sausage rolls the night before for a morning breakfast.  While eating one in line a seagull swooped down from behind hit my head with its wings claw across the hand and grabbed the sausage roll with its beak.n the others said it looked lik an eagle fishing...so be weary of the blod seagulls.  As far as the course there isn't much I can say that hasn't already been said.  The caddy didn't let the other single hit anything but iron of the tee and it was brilliant.  Two holes I went driver ended up in unplayable bunkers resulting in doubles.  From my one time perspective with just a mild 1-2 club breeze at times it is all about avoiding bunkers.  The experience of real shared fairways and greens is quite unique.  I figure I had the longest two putt of my life.  All in all a wonderful experience but have to say it isnt my favorite cours so far in the UK also walking off 18 with nowhere to go is a bit weird.

After the 4.5 hour round went straight to Leven Links...got lost along the way and asked a guy wearing a crail shirt for directions to Leven links like leavened bread and he didn't know but directed me to loudin links luckily we were so close I could point to where it was and he said ah yes livin links and sent us along.

The course like most I've played on this trip is great fun but unlike most I can't really recall a bad hole.  It might not have a great hole but a lot of good to very good and all are very solid.  It was also nice to get together with Martin, Neal and Rich.

Steve Kline

« Reply #43 on: July 10, 2013, 05:36:57 PM »
What an amazing trip, but I have to wonder if Joe's wife is imaginary. 72 holes in a day? I figured you would would at least have to eat dinner with her. :)

Joe_Tucholski

« Reply #44 on: July 24, 2013, 10:23:28 AM »
So I'm back in the USA and want to take a break from unpacking boxes (my household goods arrived in FL from CA).

I very much enjoyed myself and surprising I think my wife did as well.  There are a few things I learned on the trip and a few things I wish I had known prior to my departure.  Here’s a list of 20 things, with a focus on the UK.
1)   Remember to bring a power converter or buy one at the airport upon arrival (also the continent has different plugs)
2)   My wife and I both bought pay as you go phones and a 10 pound plan.  We didn’t come close to utilizing all of our texts or minutes.  Also texting without a keyboard is a pain in the ass.
3)   Maps still exist and are more than sufficient.  We used a free navigation app for our phone, Navfree.  We kept the phone on airplane mode but turned on the GPS.  It worked well for a bit but then needed to update and even with wifi it didn’t work after that. 
4)   If you can drive a stick with your right hand you can with your left as well.
5)   Round abouts work well as long as there is no traffic
6)   I don’t like the cities and love Wales and the Highlands
7)   I know there are speed cameras every mile but have no idea what the speed limit is as there are no speed limit signs outside of towns
8)   M’s are big roads like a highway…no telling what you are going to get on the rest.  They all could end up being a single lane road where you pull to the side when another car approaches.
9)   Visa and Mastercard are generally accepted in the UK.
10)   Everyone recommends the most expensive restaurants in town.  Cheap food can be found at grocery stores.  Eating at the golf course is also a surprisingly affordable option.
11)   The places Americans don’t go (ie outside the open Rota courses) are welcoming and friendly to Americans.  The places Americans go (ie the Open Rota courses) are not nearly as friendly.
12)   Teetimes.co.uk is a good site for discounted rounds (didn’t get to use it but found it after the fact) but I never waited more than 30 minutes when I walked up.
13)   Bring pencils if playing outside the open rota
14)   Bring a pair of loafers or something.  It dawned on me that the changing of golf shoes to go inside isn’t because they want to be pretentious but instead because they are practical.  Their clubs are like their homes and I sure wouldn’t want someone wearing their golf shoes in my house.
15)   The second and third tier courses are as good or nearly as good as the top tier courses and way better value.
16)   Playing in Open Comps is great.
17)   I have a terrible swing and the wind proves it.
18)   I’m a slow learner, and still haven't learned how to stop a ball at the hole on firm ground.
19)   Laundry mats aren’t readily available and often times they don’t have driers we are used to.
20)   Bring extra golf shoes

As far as the trip recap I played about 40 different courses and about 50 rounds.  Below is the final itinerary.  The driving was not a problem at all…the only problem is trying to remember details of each course.

6/20/2013   Arrived London after red eye decided to drive west and spent the day in Cardiff
6/21/2013   Pennard and Machynys Peninsula Golf Club
6/22/2013   Kington ended up only being the morning round as the wind and rain was coming down strong
6/23/2013   Borth & Ynyslas Golf Club Open Comp and Aberdovey
6/24/2013   Royal St. David's Golf Club
6/25/2013   Reddish Vale and Cavendish
6/26/2013   A day of driving and seeing the lakes district
6/27/2013   Prestwick St. Nicks and Irvine Bogside
6/28/2013   Glasgow Gailes and Dundonald Links
6/29/2013   Stonehaven
6/30/2013   Murcar Links x2 Open comp
07/1/2013   Fraserburgh
07/2/2013   Golspie x2
07/3/2013   Brora and Tain
07/4/2013   Dornoch x4
07/5/2013   A day into the highlands and isle of sky then loch ness
07/6/2013   Nairn Golf Club - Open Comp afternoon round
07/7/2013   Nairn Dunbar Golf Club - Open Comp morning round afternoon somewhere
07/8/2013   New Course, Jubilee Course and Eden Course
07/9/2013   Castle, New and Strathtrynum
7/10/2013   The Old Course, Leven Links and the Himalayas
7/11/2013   Eden, New and Castle
7/12/2013 North Berwick and visit Edinburgh
7/13/2013   Fly out of Edinburgh to Amsterdam
7/14/2013   Swinkelsche and Eindhovensche
7/15/2013   Noordwijkse Golf Club
7/16/2013   The International and Royal Hague
7/17/2013   Utrecht De Pan and Noordwijkse
7/18/2013   Kennemer Golf Club
7/19/2013   Hilversumsche and Hoge Kleij
7/20/2013   Flew home

Brent Hutto

« Reply #45 on: July 24, 2013, 10:45:48 AM »
What was your total miles driven, Joe? Looks like it had to be well over 1,000 maybe even 1,500.

4)   If you can drive a stick with your right hand you can with your left as well.

Or in my case if you DON'T drive a stick with your right hand you SHOULDN'T with your left as well!

2)   My wife and I both bought pay as you go phones and a 10 pound plan.  We didn’t come close to utilizing all of our texts or minutes.

Mobile phones (prepay) are definitely a better deal in UK than USA. Immediately after one of my UK golf vacations my niece was going on a high-school senior trip to England. I put an extra 20 pounds of credit on my cheapie Nokia and handed it to her before she left. She thought I was very generous but when she returned it to me there was still like 12 pounds credit left.

Nowadays I have a prepay SIM card that fits in my old HTC smartphone. Works through T-Mobile UK. I keep it active by sending a text message every six months while at home. So when I get off the plane I have my phone, text, E-mail and everything already working and all at UK prepay rates.

14)   Bring a pair of loafers or something.  It dawned on me that the changing of golf shoes to go inside isn’t because they want to be pretentious but instead because they are practical.  Their clubs are like their homes and I sure wouldn’t want someone wearing their golf shoes in my house.

20)   Bring extra golf shoes

I usually take one or two pairs of golf shoes depending on whether I'll be playing any 36-hole days. But instead of "loafers or something" I bring some nice Ecco street shoes that happen to be waterproof as well. So in a pinch I can wear them for a round. It came in handy the day I played at Royal Birkdale. Drove up to the course and realized I had left my golf shoes drying back in my room. Fortunately my street shoes doubled just fine as pseudo-golf-shoes even during a downpour.

5)   Round abouts work well as long as there is no traffic

For those of us traveling solo without a navigator, the thing to remember about roundabouts is there's no law against going around more than once. Especially when it's about the third roundabout in the last half-mile sometimes it's best to just circle around it three or four times until your head clears and you're absolutely certain which outlet to use.

7)   I know there are speed cameras every mile but have no idea what the speed limit is as there are no speed limit signs outside of towns
8 ) M’s are big roads like a highway…no telling what you are going to get on the rest.  They all could end up being a single lane road where you pull to the side when another car approaches.

One thing I discovered about the M roads around London. If you're doing 86mph in the right line in your rented Ford Focus and a police car appear in the rearview with lights flashing...it's because you're blocking his way and he wants you to move over and let him by. I know the speed cameras will get you but damn, I don't know how fast you'd have to go to get actually pulled over by a real life cop on the M25.

Brent Hutto

« Reply #46 on: July 24, 2013, 11:04:28 AM »
I definitely never hit 90 in that Ford Focus. Nice enough little car but it's a LITTLE car by my inflated American standards. Even doing mid-80's in heavy motorway traffic that morning I think was making a little wee-wee in my pants...and that was before I saw the flashing lights.

My most recent trip Hertz gave me a turbo-diesel Audi station wagon, an altogether more satisfactory and substantial vehicle I must say. That one was steady as a rock at 80mph or so. They just handed it to me because they didn't have the dinky car I reserved, wish I could afford a big one like that every trip.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #47 on: July 24, 2013, 11:11:48 AM »
Joe,

When you want a further break from unpacking boxes perhaps you could let us know which courses you enjoyed playing the most and which you think are the best tests of golf.

I thoroughly agree with your points 15 and 16, namely:

"15) The second and third tier courses are as good or nearly as good as the top tier courses and way better value.
16) Playing in Open Comps is great."

Fantastic trip. Photos welcome. Well done.

All the best

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #48 on: July 24, 2013, 11:31:19 AM »

18)   I’m a slow learner, and still haven't learned how to stop a ball at the hole on firm ground.
19)   Laundry mats aren’t readily available and often times they don’t have driers we are used to.

I've enjoyed this thread and hope you'll continue to add your thoughts as they occur. Shame we didn't get to meet.

18 )   Me too, and I've played 10x the no of links rounds you have.
19 )   I presume you mean 'launderettes'.  Obviously a month was not long enough and you need to plan further studies. ;)
Let's make GCA grate again!

David_Tepper

« Reply #49 on: July 24, 2013, 01:05:24 PM »
"I presume you mean 'launderettes'."

Tony -

The term laundromat is widely used in the U.S.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/laundromat

DT

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back