News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Scott Szabo

Hundred Hole Hike 2013
« on: June 18, 2013, 10:04:22 AM »
Here's a nice article of one of our own doing what he does best.

http://fayobserver.com/articles/2013/06/18/1264142

Keep it up Jim!
"So your man hit it into a fairway bunker, hit the wrong side of the green, and couldn't hit a hybrid off a sidehill lie to take advantage of his length? We apologize for testing him so thoroughly." - Tom Doak, 6/29/10

Ben Carey

Re: Hundred Hole Hike 2013
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2013, 02:21:52 PM »
I was in the area, and had the opportunity to run out, watch Jim tackle a few holes, and offer up some mid-hike support.

I have to say that the staff at Pinehurst were extremely accommodating and very supportive. They even provided me with an approximate location and a cart to head out and watch for a few holes. As I was waiting I overheard the starter on 4 talking to everyone that came through about what Jim was doing.

It was great to see a bit of this in person.

Here are a few pics that I snapped while out there...

Keith OHalloran

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2013, 02:51:16 PM »
Was the cameraman hired? Or did a news organization send one out? More importantly, did he walk 100 holes with the camera?

Jim Colton

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2013, 06:25:53 PM »
Keith,

It was a news guy from a Fox station in Greensboro. I think they were going to run a feature tonight. Thankfully I played some decent golf in front of him, in sharp contrast to Alex from the resort who recorded some of my worst golf!

I rather turn the attention to the numerous other GCAers who are hiking as well, for other great causes. I will try and add a detailed list here later, but here's a rundown of all the hikers:

http://www.hundredholehike.com/golfers

Bryan Icenhower

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2013, 07:08:30 PM »
Inspiring to say the least. Well done Jim!

Brett_Morrissy

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2013, 08:21:02 PM »
Well done again to all the guys that have hiked, and keep up the training to all those that are going to Hike.

Are in the planning stages for January HHH Downunder, and are trying to establish what is the capacity of an 18 hole golf course from a Hiker number point of view.

I note the guys at Stonewall on Tuesday numbered 22. I would think this is getting close to maximum.

Logistically, how did the 22 Hikers go ?
@theflatsticker

Eric Smith

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2013, 08:23:58 PM »
Well done, Jim. Amazing accomplishment. Which course at Pinehurst were you most pleasantly surprised with?

Have to give a shout out to friends Chris Shaida and Chris DeNigris as well, who both completed their hikes today at Stonewall. Great job guys.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2013, 08:28:37 PM »
Well done, Jim. Amazing accomplishment. Which course at Pinehurst were you most pleasantly surprised with?

Have to give a shout out to friends Chris Shaida and Chris DeNigris as well, who both completed their hikes today at Stonewall. Great job guys.

How many pounds did Shaida lose?    ;D

Chris DeNigris

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2013, 08:53:35 PM »

Eric,

I gotta tell ya...you doing the Hike at Dismal last year in 105 degrees...that was a good chunk of my inspiration for trying it this year. And for anyone else out there wondering if they can do it...well it may sound trite but it's true- If I can do it you can do it.

The event at Stonewall was amazingly well coordinated by the guys at the Outpost Club (Colin and Will) and the execution was near flawless. 21 guys and one gal zipped around (and around) for 14+ hours without a hitch.

Tremendous fun, especially for a golf junkie.   

And Stonewall is a treasure!

Ben Carey

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2013, 10:24:54 PM »
One of my favorite things about the whole concept of the HHH is that it seems to have an effect that when others learn of it, they seem to stop and notice that they very rarely walk the course at all. I can say for sure this was the case for me.

Only a year or so into my journey to play golf (only a few short years ago) I happened to be on a business trip and had the opportunity to play Portmarnock. This sounds strange to me now, but I was surprised that everyone there seemed to walk the course. While on that same trip I read the story about the first event that raised money for Ben Cox. I was so moved by that story that I decided that I would walk every round for the next year. That one year has turned into the past three.

In addition to raising money for great causes and being a lot of fun to participate in, it's also a great channel for helping others learn about the benefits of walking and experiencing the course on foot. So a big THANK YOU to all those that are participating and supporting the cause.

Bill Seitz

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2013, 10:39:29 PM »
Congratulations to all of the hikers who have completed their hikes this year, and those who have hikes yet to come.  I regret being unable to participate this year, but I hope to help out Howard Reifs and Chris Hufnagle at Kingsley on Monday.  Last year's hike was not only great fun (and a bit of misery), but it also remains my favorite story to tell non or casual golfers when the subject comes up. 

Kevin Cahoon

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2013, 11:11:33 PM »
I hiked yesterday at Flossmoor Country Club. I was joined by 8 other hikers on a fantastic day to walk. All of us completed over 100 holes. I was able to walk for 126 holes in one of the best experiences of my life. In order to prep for the hike, I trained for 5 months and in the process lost 57 pounds so like Eric mentioned it is possible. I will be cheering on Jim in his quest.

Howard Riefs

« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2013, 11:17:21 PM »
Well done again to all the guys that have hiked, and keep up the training to all those that are going to Hike.

Are in the planning stages for January HHH Downunder, and are trying to establish what is the capacity of an 18 hole golf course from a Hiker number point of view.

I note the guys at Stonewall on Tuesday numbered 22. I would think this is getting close to maximum.

Logistically, how did the 22 Hikers go ?

Here's info on the hike at Stonewall.  A little different than the other hikes as there were teams of two playing multiple shot.  The Outpost guys on the board can provide additional details.

http://hundredholehike.com/blogs/announcing-outpost-clubhhh-alternate-shot-event

As for other big numbers of hikers, last year there were 17 of us at Flossmoor.  We began with a shotgun start with one golfer on each hole. As the day progressed, some hikers joined up with others into groups of two, three and four.  I ended up staying as a single ... only because I couldn't go fast enough to catch Matt Sander who was ahead of me.  That was my lone regret from last year's hike in that I did it solo.

"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Matthew Sander

« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2013, 10:31:50 AM »
I was one of the nine hikers at Flossmoor on Monday along with two other GCAers, Kevin Cahoon and Norm Olsen. It was a brilliant day and it is so inspiring to see others push themselves to their physical and mental limits in the name of helping others. I tallied 119 holes, with my wife accompanying me for the entire day, and my brother for a little over half.

I encourage any of you that may be interested to participate in this series of events in some fashion. Whether it be as a hiker, donor, volunteer, or caddie, it is certainly a rewarding and worthwhile endeavor.

Here are a few pictures from my day at Flossmoor...

Into The Mystic

My brother (right) and I just prior to teeing off for the day

Early morning fog at Flossmoor

Second last tee shot of the day

My wife (the other half of my caddie team) and I on the 119th green

« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 04:24:12 PM by Matthew Sander »

C. Squier

« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2013, 12:27:13 PM »
Two days removed from my hike at Flossmoor, I think I'm able to make rational commentary on the experience.  First, when Colton finishes his 4 hikes in 15 days, he will be my hero.  There isn't a chance in hades that I could do that.  He deserves all the praise he has received. 

I hiked 108 holes and carried my own bag for it all.  Played every hole as a solo and learned a tremendous amount about the game we all play.  First, we carry too many wrenches; no need for a club every 4 degrees of loft.  Secondly, we waste too much time reading greens; I hit more great lag putts just walking up to the ball and hitting it than I would have taking my time to read the greens. 

For the future hikers, some unsolicited advice: keep your feet dry at all costs! Most of us at Flossmoor made the mistake of not changing shoes/socks soon enough and have the blisters to prove it.  If I were to do it again in identical conditions, I'd change my socks every 9 holes and shoes every 18 for the first few rounds when the course has morning dew on it.  That being said, True Linkswear shoes may be the best contribution to the walking game in the last 25 years.  Or more.  I don't think I could have done it without them. 

Next year, I will be looking to play another round or two....but someone else will be carrying the sticks!  Best of luck to the hikers who have yet to play, have fun and enjoy the experience.  It's one you won't forget.

Chris_Hufnagel

« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2013, 12:40:34 PM »
Two days removed from my hike at Flossmoor, I think I'm able to make rational commentary on the experience.  First, when Colton finishes his 4 hikes in 15 days, he will be my hero.  There isn't a chance in hades that I could do that.  He deserves all the praise he has received. 

I hiked 108 holes and carried my own bag for it all.  Played every hole as a solo and learned a tremendous amount about the game we all play.  First, we carry too many wrenches; no need for a club every 4 degrees of loft.  Secondly, we waste too much time reading greens; I hit more great lag putts just walking up to the ball and hitting it than I would have taking my time to read the greens. 

For the future hikers, some unsolicited advice: keep your feet dry at all costs! Most of us at Flossmoor made the mistake of not changing shoes/socks soon enough and have the blisters to prove it.  If I were to do it again in identical conditions, I'd change my socks every 9 holes and shoes every 18 for the first few rounds when the course has morning dew on it.  That being said, True Linkswear shoes may be the best contribution to the walking game in the last 25 years.  Or more.  I don't think I could have done it without them. 

Next year, I will be looking to play another round or two....but someone else will be carrying the sticks!  Best of luck to the hikers who have yet to play, have fun and enjoy the experience.  It's one you won't forget.

There is a lot of good advice in this post - I "hiked" last year and will do so again this coming Monday...

I learned a lot about my game that day - six clubs is plenty for me, no practice swings, and simply reading the putt while walking up to the ball on lag putts was just fine.  One of my biggest learnings was how much better I play a round if I can completely forget the last shot and move onto the next.  During the HHH, there is no time for sulking or regretting - you simply move on.  Such easy advice, so hard to put into practice.

Taking care of the feet is critical - I wore two pairs of socks and used Body Glide on all the critical rub points.  I only changed socks after each 18 and shoes after each 36 - that worked fine for me, but we also had ideal conditions - 68, sunny, with a little breeze.  I wore (and will wear) Trues exclusively.

I made it through 121 holes last year and am targeting 122 this year...

Jud_T

« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2013, 01:06:09 PM »
Inspring stuff.  If only I weren't old and fat with bad knees and a crap swing!  I still hope to help out Monday at Kingsley in whatever feeble way possible.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 03:40:49 PM by Jud T »
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Kevin Cahoon

« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2013, 03:40:14 PM »
Jud,

I got alot of encouragement from a few fellow members who came out and walked a few holes with me. It does a world of good for the psyche.

Carl Nichols

« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2013, 03:57:43 PM »
I hiked yesterday at Flossmoor Country Club. I was joined by 8 other hikers on a fantastic day to walk. All of us completed over 100 holes. I was able to walk for 126 holes in one of the best experiences of my life. In order to prep for the hike, I trained for 5 months and in the process lost 57 pounds so like Eric mentioned it is possible. I will be cheering on Jim in his quest.

That's awesome.  Congrats.

Chris Shaida

« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2013, 01:59:08 AM »

How many pounds did Shaida lose?    ;D

Some but not enough! I started a golf-specific fitness routine about two months beforehand and lost about 12 pounds doing that.  I lost another 10 during the hike but the steak, corn and about 113 g&ts afterwards probably put a good chunk of that back!  I followed Dr Wellmon's advice about changing socks (after every round!) and save for a bit of a chafing problem in the last 18 (a word to the wise -- resist the urge to use suntan lotion!!!) am surprised that the ill-effects aren't lingering...

Adam Clayman

« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2013, 08:37:04 AM »
I encourage everyone to read Jim's blog post on his day at Pinehurst. Very moving.

I'd assume two days removed is when the aches and pains would be at their height. How do you guys feel, physically, today?
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Matthew Sander

« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2013, 08:47:45 AM »
Adam,

Thursday morning and I'm back to feeling normal. I was tight and a little sore on Tuesday and a little less so yesterday. The effects from last year's hike lingered for much longer, over a week if I remember correctly. It was much hotter last year though, which certainly took more out of us.

Jim Colton

« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2013, 10:22:36 AM »
Adam,

I felt like I could go 54 holes yesterday, and think I could swing 100 today if I had to. That's reassuring, considering I have to go 100 at St Andrews three days after 100 at Cabot Links.

Matt, dare I say, it gets easier with experience? I didn't have near the knee or ankle issues that I had in previous years, despite being 10-15 pounds over my playing weight.

C. Squier

« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2013, 11:04:39 AM »
I was stiff Tuesday, less so on Wednesday. What was killing me was the monster headache. Next time, I will force myself to drink much, much more during the early rounds. Today, I feel 95% back to normal.

Doug Wright

« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2013, 11:30:11 AM »
Congrats to all you guys, and good luck to the HHHers on their upcoming rounds. Look forward to seeing the Ballyneal HHHers on Monday.
Twitter: @Deneuchre

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back