News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jason Topp

North Shore Country Club (Colt)- Glenview, IL
« on: June 17, 2013, 03:41:19 PM »
A good friend is playing in a pro am at this club.  My search of this site yielded nothing although I am sure it has gotten some discussion.

What can you tell me about it? 

PCCraig

Re: North Shore Country Club (Colt)- Glenview, IL
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2013, 04:58:23 PM »
Well, I lived about a par-4 away from the course for most of my childhood.

It's an old "family" club with a predominately Catholic membership that lives within a few miles of the course. I think it's an OK golf course, but generally think it's a little overrated among golfers in Chicagoland. There are some neat holes...I like #18 #8 and #2...but are a whole lot of boring parkland holes for my taste. Most of the greens are typical push up greens and they recently redid their bunkers in a big colt-esque (?) flashing oval style. I think local architect Rick Jacobson did the work. As of a few years ago there were still way too many trees and I think the course plays pretty narrow in spots.

The course has a pretty interesting history, as it's the site of the last Amateur win in the US Open by Johnny Goodman. They also hosted the US Am in the mid-80's and I think a recent Western Am.
H.P.S.

Terry Lavin

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2013, 08:52:32 PM »
Very solid Colt&Alison layout on rather non- descript topography. There are only a couple weak holes but no more than eight very strong holes.  They're hosting a Champions Tour stop starting this year which is surprising since there are at least eight to ten  more suitable layouts for that kind of event. Having said all that, it's a fun and great community club in an affluent part of town.

Trivia:  it's the only club in town partially credited to Mackenzie, but it apparently was only on the blueprint and only as a result of a brief partnership. I'm sure Tim Cronin knows more.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 09:04:15 PM by Terry Lavin »
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Jason Topp

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2013, 09:38:12 PM »
Very solid Colt&Alison layout on rather non- descript topography. There are only a couple weak holes but no more than eight very strong holes.  They're hosting a Champions Tour stop starting this year which is surprising since there are at least eight to ten  more suitable layouts for that kind of event. Having said all that, it's a fun and great community club in an affluent part of town.

Trivia:  it's the only club in town partially credited to Mackenzie, but it apparently was only on the blueprint and only as a result of a brief partnership. I'm sure Tim Cronin knows more.

My friend is playing in the pro am which I think is part of the main event.  My advice if you are attending -on Friday or Saturday -  wear a hardhat

Jud_T

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2013, 04:56:27 AM »
Probably not the first place a Colt/Alison aficionado would visit in Chicago, but as mentioned a great family club in a great location.  My strongest recollection of the place is getting good value on an autographed '69 Cubs jersey at a charity event there.  Either a statement on my skewed priorities or the memorability of the course.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 04:59:57 AM by Jud T »
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Sinclair Eaddy

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2013, 01:09:16 PM »
Jason, I played North Shore two years back during a Chicago golf trip that included Medinah #3 and Merit Club. North Shore was my favorite course not because it was flashy but because I enjoy very traditional parkland layouts even if they are boring to some. North Shore is not overly long, which is probably why it lost out on hosting the BMW Championship to Conway Farms and got the Senior Tour instead. That said ... they have a terrific caddie program and the course is great for walking. A very classy club even among Chicago standouts. I believe Luke Donald is a member and does some practicing there.

Terry Lavin

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2013, 07:32:33 AM »
Ben Crenshaw is playing in the tournament this week. His quote about the course;  "What an immaculate golf course. It's in incredible shape and has balance. It looks benign, but it isn't."  Kind words from a knowledgeable source.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Tim_Cronin

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2013, 03:08:54 PM »
It's 99 percent Colt and Alison (or Allison if you believe Golf Channel). Players have been raving about the course all week. Earlier today, Craig Stadler praised the mix of short par 4s and long par 5s. Sounds like another course that was played recently.
The website: www.illinoisgolfer.net
On Twitter: @illinoisgolfer

Terry Lavin

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2013, 03:56:46 PM »
The course represents the American parkland style quite well. As usual, it's in perfect condition and looks great on television. All in all a great place for the Champions Tour.

Mark Smolens

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2013, 12:02:22 PM »
Tho I've never had a chance to play there, wandering around yesterday watching the old guys made me want to even more. Beautifully conditioned, huge trees but it didn't feel claustrophobic at all (at least from behind the ropes), and the greens looked spectacular.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back