News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Brad Swanson

I've been on the sidelines for a few years due to the usual suspects; family, health (consecutive frozen shoulders), career (wife and I work for the same biotech startup :o), among others.  My 2nd frozen shoulder is starting to thaw and my son is taking an interest in the game, so we've had a weekly game at one of the local par 3 courses.  Its a municipal facility that also has 27 holes of "regulation" golf. 

Bottom line is that I've really enjoyed playing this little pitch and putt (aside for the great one-on-one time with my son).  Its quick, relatively cheap ($10) provides some exercise, and (if I were still playing competitively) it would provide a better return on time in many instances compared to practice time on the range.

I used to play at a club in town a few years ago and I took my sone out to play there late in the afternoon on the weekends, and typically we would take a cart (he was quite young) and get in 5 or 7 holes if we were lucky.  Now, out of habit, he has asked to take a cart when playing the par 3 course  ::), but its great to point out that golf is a walking game and that he can easily walk the par 3 course in contrast big boy course (he's 6 years old).

From a financial point of view, are 9 hole courses like these (such as Common Ground in Denver) effective at growing the game or simply providing another option for those like myself without being a financial burden on the main attraction?  Any other examples of par three companion courses that are assets and not burdens on their facilities as a whole?

Cheers,
Brad   

Thomas Dai

Re: Where do par 3 courses fit in the growth and future of the game?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2013, 04:25:49 PM »
There was a similar thread on here a little while ago. I reckon par 3 courses should have a significant place in the game. A great place to have fun and learn inexpensively. Not just at private clubs either. There used to be loads of par-3 courses around the UK, mostly municipal facilites in local community parks etc. There used to be loads of municipal putting greens as well (and municipal bowling greens and tennis courts to for that matter) but sadly they've declined in number over the last few decades. A great shame. I'd love to see them back.

All the best

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back