News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Burnes

Home Architect Day
« on: June 23, 2013, 04:29:15 PM »
Anyone out there belong to a club (or know of one) that celebrates/honors the course architect with a tournament or a day?  If so, what is the format/celebration look like?

Kevin Cahoon

Re: Home Architect Day
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2013, 07:51:36 PM »
At Flossmoor Country Club, we hold the Herbert J Tweedie Classic. Four person teams use the one best ball on the par 5's, the two best balls on the par 4's and the three best balls on the par 3's. We use everyone's full handicap. It is a fun event and usually prompt s questions from the members about who Herbert J Tweedie.

Joe Bausch

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2013, 08:07:51 PM »
John,

I think Cobb's Creek still does the Hugh Wilson Invitational.

Joe
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Mike_Trenham

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2013, 08:53:41 PM »
St Davids Golf Club, Wayne PA -  Member Member (five 9 hole matches, Calcutta and playoff) Donald J Ross Memorial
Proud member of a Doak 3.

Sam Morrow

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2013, 10:00:39 PM »
At Corsicana CC the Tiger Tail Member Guest names each flight after famous Tillinghast courses.

Mike Hamilton

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2013, 10:05:44 PM »
http://courier-tribune.com/calendar/tot-hill-farm-golf-course-mike-strantz-memorial-tournament-benefiting-cancer-research.htm-6

I have not had a chance to attend, but Tot Hill Farm does a memorial for Mike Strantz each year.

Brett_Morrissy

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2013, 04:48:19 AM »
Pretty sure all the good Doctor's courses have an annual event - a fine invitation to get your hands on!
@theflatsticker

Carl Johnson

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2013, 08:25:59 AM »
For Charlotte's Carolina GC, here are details on last year's "The Donald Ross," an event held each fall: http://hosting.fyleio.com/10506/public/Event_Flyers_2012_08/Donald_Ross_2012.pdf

Josh Tarble

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2013, 08:40:43 AM »
We have the Ross Cup.  It's a season-long two man better ball event.  Takes from early May until late August typically.

David Kelly

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2013, 06:53:03 PM »
The club championship at Rustic Canyon used to have a Hanse flight and a Wagner flight but they did away with those names a few years ago.

Prairie Dunes, Southern Hills and Colonial send teams to compete against each other in a yearly interclub match called The Maxwell Cup.  There is also a Junior Maxwell Cup with includes a team from Dornick Hills along with PD, SH, & Colonial.
"Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent." - Judge Holden, Blood Meridian.

Brian Colbert

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2013, 08:45:33 PM »
I belong to a club designed by George (and later redone by) Tom Fazio. Our Fall Member Guest is called the Fazio invitational.

Andrew Lewis

« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2013, 08:28:25 AM »
At Kingsley, we play against Marquette every year in the DeVries Cup. 

It's a Ryder Cup format with matches played in four-ball, foursomes and singles formats.

Perhaps not surprisingly given the quirks of each course, the host club has won every year.

Carl Rogers

« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2013, 11:57:47 AM »
(Lester) George Cup at Ballyhack, outside of Roanake, VA each fall, two thus far, number three this September
I decline to accept the end of man. ... William Faulkner

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2013, 01:10:08 PM »
The Reserve Vineyards and Pumpkin Ridge have a home and home match called the Fought Cupp.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back