News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark Bourgeois

How much better could USGA setups be with ShotLink?
« on: June 16, 2013, 12:24:03 PM »
Seems like great data could improve setups. For example getting the risk-reward balance right between laying up and going for it.

I realize the USGA doesn't come back immediately to venues so over time things like I&B advances  ::) could render the data less valuable but some data is better than none and still there should be general lessons learned that would have application to other venues.

What setup decisions could be improved during a tournament with good data? What long-term / advance setup decisions could be improved? How valuable would the data be, very, some, or not much?
Charlotte. Daniel. Olivia. Josephine. Ana. Dylan. Madeleine. Catherine. Chase. Jesse. James. Grace. Emilie. Jack. Noah. Caroline. Jessica. Benjamin. Avielle. Allison.

John Kirk

Re: How much better could USGA setups be with ShotLink?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2013, 04:27:31 PM »
Mark,

I don't understand.  What makes you think they don't use reams of data to determine USGA setup?

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2013, 08:50:40 AM »
John, my understanding is that neither the R&A nor the USGA collect shot-level data a la ShotLink, nor do they use ShotLink. (They do collect scoring information and presumably save their daily tee and hole location information, as well as mowing lines and other setup / maintenance related data.) Do they have spotters who manually log the location of every shot?

Anyway, if they do have it: I currently am all about the 5th, so I would love to see a schematic showing every putt on the 5th green.
Charlotte. Daniel. Olivia. Josephine. Ana. Dylan. Madeleine. Catherine. Chase. Jesse. James. Grace. Emilie. Jack. Noah. Caroline. Jessica. Benjamin. Avielle. Allison.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2013, 09:51:38 AM »
Mark:

I am impressed with the amount of data the PGA Tour collects with ShotLink ... but I haven't been at all impressed with what they've done with it.  Have you seen any real results from it?

To cite just one example, Tom Marzolf used ShotLink as justification for fussing with the bunkering on the 10th hole at Riviera.

I think the problem is not the data, it's what they want to do with it.  The Tour has biased set-ups based on what's good for the marquee players.

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2013, 12:25:34 PM »
Bad decisions from good data are possible but less likely than bad decisions in the absence of data / quality data.

And you're right most of the ShotLink analysis seems to involve players but analysis in other pro sports has lagged data availability. Specifically in the cases of US Open and Open Championship venues I would love to see the data. I can think of a number of interesting questions such data would answer or at least provide reasonable guesses relating to the setup at Merion. Some analysis might confirm eyeballing and conventional wisdom; some might not.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back