News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ran Morrissett

Fraserburgh Golf Club profile is posted
« on: June 05, 2013, 06:41:04 PM »
I have largely tried to avoid hanging out with smart people my entire life. That’s one reason why I began this Discussion Group some fourteen years ago.  8) :P ;)

However, from time to time I find myself hopelessly embroiled in a conversation with a person who brings far more ammo to the discussion. Such occurred at Harlech where Richard Fisher schooled me on W.H. Auden's essay about the seventeenth-century devotional poet George Herbert, whom Auden regarded as having made the critical transformation from Great Minor Poet to Minor Great Poet during the twentieth century. Richard with great grace and dignity – and speaking slowly so that I could keep up – used Auden’s thoughts as an analogy for golf links, some being great but minor and others minor but great. Richard professed, “It's something indefinable to do with scale, challenge, heft, ambience.” His point was brilliant and it made my head spin a bit, freshly reminding me to avoid such intellects on a go-forward basis.  :)

I have shamelessly lifted Richard’s observations and applied them to the intro for the Fraserburgh profile. The first question a reader will likely ask is ‘Where is Fraserburgh? I have never heard of it.” Those were my sentiments when I first came across it. Everybody’s favorite transplanted Aussie, Benny Hillard now working on Cape Breton Island, introduced me to these links.  When he was visiting GolfClubAtlas.com world international headquarters, my daughter walked into the room after a fun color run (essentially, she was covered in paint). Benny, demonstrating his keen eye for observation, said “Ran, you didn’t tell me your daughter was a smurf!”  ;D

Later, I twisted his arm to send me his personal top 50 courses in the hopes of finding a hidden gem or two and voila, there Fraserburgh was! Given how rock solid his other 49 courses were, there was no way Fraserburgh could have been a miss. Coupled with its occasional mention in this Discussion Group and based on chats with Joe Andriole, it got high on my explore list.

Located some thirty minutes north of Cruden Bay, it is out of the way as the crow flies from Inverness to Aberdeen/Cruden Bay. Hence, for too many decades, motorists have forsaken this place in order to get to their next course faster. Mistake! The last time I saw a course of this magnitude that flew under the radar was Siloth-on-Solway. Upon my return, and after a week of cooling off, I remain dumbfounded about how good it is and why the “Darwins” of the world haven’t better chronicled its presence.

Benny rode to the rescue again by introducing me to Gordon Moir, Director of Greenkeeping for the St. Andrews Links Trust. Gordon started work at Fraserburgh as a fresh-faced youth in 1976. Early on he saw one round of major changes take place and later personally performed work that significantly improved several holes, especially 11, 12, and 14.

The evolution of the course from Braid’s early work to today’s links is discussed in the profile with Moir’s input serving as background for the transformational work that has occurred there since WWII. No need to repeat it here except to say that today’s gem has been in its full glory for less than 30 years. That helps explain a little why more people haven’t beat a path to its door.

For most of us, everything we want in a links can be found here AND there are mercifully few slow playing, gibbering foreigners.  The photographs tell the story – this is real deal linksland and a real deal links. Don’t miss it.

Best,

David_Tepper

Re: Fraserburgh Golf Club profile is posted
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2013, 06:54:23 PM »
Ran -

Thanks for the Fraserburgh profile. Looks very impressive.

I seem to recall the club was in serious financial difficulty perhaps 4-5 years ago. I presume those problems are now in the clubs past.

DT 

Ran Morrissett

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2013, 09:04:45 PM »
Dave,

I don't know about that. All the playing surfaces were in fine form but still, anything we can do to shine the spotlight on them I am sure will be appreciated - as well as deserved.

Best,

Stan Dodd

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2013, 01:12:49 AM »
Ran,
Thanks , really nice profile. I played on a day much like your pictures.  The 16 middle holes are really very good.  And you were spot on about the 2nd, the longest 380 yards in golf. 
Stan

Thomas Dai

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2013, 03:00:40 AM »
The Broch, a very fine choice of a course to visit and profile. The 7th oldest golf club in the world. I reckon their greenfee income will be going up from now on, hopefully not with "slow playing, gibbering foreigners" though!

Super profile Ran, well done.

All the best.

Niall C

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2013, 07:21:44 AM »
A very good example why travelling American golfers should not try to combine the Aberdeen area and the Highlands in one week long trip only hitting the big names - (a) it's exhausting (b) you miss out on valuable pub time and (c) you miss out on gems like Fraserburgh - how often do you end up enjoying the course you arrived with lowest expectations the most? Thanks, Ran. On the must play list going forward...

Well said that man !!

Ran

Well done for spotlighting one of the lesser lights in Scottish golf, at least in terms of international renown. A good friend of mine was brought up playing golf there and has been encouraging me to play it for a number of years. I eventually got the chance last year and after paying my £12 (yes, £12 !!!!) green fee I wasn't disappointed. The first and last aren't the best but the holes in between are terrific with some excellent use of the land and some frankly bonkers holes but great fun none the less.

As an aside, I got chatting to one of the greenkeepers who used to work for Brian Philips building courses in Scandanavia (Maurice Rodger ?) Anyway, the club are struggling and are down to two fulltime greenkeepers and seasonal workers to keep both courses going, the second course being a beginners course that didn't look upto much.

If you are goiung to Fraserburgh, and I would recommend it, I would also suggest Inverallochy which is 3 miles along the road as a double header.

Niall

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2013, 07:26:38 AM »
Ran
Did you also have a look at Inverallochy or some of the other nearby lesser links courses while you were there ?

Phil McDade

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2013, 08:39:08 AM »
Ran:

Thanks for a review of one of the highlights of my trip to Scotland. Hidden gem is probably overused in most instances, but its applicable to Corbie Hill (or the Broch, as Thomas accurately describes its local tag). I still recall playing a round with the head pro there and making a remarkable par from off the left side of the 7th hole. Lots of terrific links golf there.

Benny Hillard

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2013, 05:00:20 PM »
Nice write up Ran,

Fraserburgh is a very cool place. I would highly recommend playing in the 'Buchan Firkin' a 36 hole amateur tournament they hold there. Lots of great people and 36 holes of fun - whats not to lose?

Benny

James Boon

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2013, 05:26:56 PM »
Thank Ran,

Looks a wonderful course! I really should make sure my next venture to the north east of Scotland stays beneath the Moray Firth!

Cheers,

James
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell, Brora, Parkstone, Cavendish, Hallamshire, Sandmoor, Moortown, Elie, Crail, St Andrews (Himalayas & Eden), Chantilly, M, Hardelot Les Pins

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Garland Bayley

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2013, 02:07:50 PM »
I'm sure Bogey would be greatly disappointed if you were to say you traveled all the way to Fraserburgh and didn't go a bit further up the coast to take in his quirk ideal Cullen.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Robert Thompson

« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2013, 08:38:57 PM »
A terrific review of a course I now would like to see.

Question for Ran -- how hard would it be to direct link to the course review from your initial post? I mean links are a pretty basic these days -- and recognizing GCA probably needs a technology update -- but I also wonder about whether something simple like linking to the post would help more people click and look at the review.
Terrorizing Toronto Since 1997

Read me at Canadiangolfer.com

Ken Moum

« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2013, 08:54:01 PM »
I hope to visit Fraserburgh this August, largely because the former green keeper and current Links Superintendent at St Andrews told me without hesitation that it's better than Cruden Bay. He also said the opinion was common among Scots in the area.
Over time, the guy in the ideal position derives an advantage, and delivering him further  advantage is not worth making the rest of the players suffer at the expense of fun, variety, and ultimately cost -- Jeff Warne, 12-08-2010

Phil McDade

« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2013, 11:55:11 AM »
Ken:

The head pro at Fraserburgh at the time I played (1999) told me similarly - that most of the serious golfers in the area preferred Fraserburgh to Cruden Bay.

Mark Alexander

« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2013, 06:35:42 PM »
I was asked by a UK golf magazine to take some pics of Fraserburgh last year. To be honest, it was a bit of a rushed job as I had to get to Cruden that same day, so I had about an hour to dart about capturing the feel of the place. In all honesty, I could have stayed for a week. The dunes were magnificent and with the wind ripping off the North Sea, you could see how tough it would play.

I can't wait to go back to play it and shoot it properly. Anyway, here's what I came away with - http://www.markalexanderphotography.co.uk/Fraserburgh/

David Kelly

« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2013, 03:34:04 PM »
Count me as one who enjoys Fraserburgh as much or more than Cruden Bay. 

Fraserburgh is also the only golf course I've played where the bar doubles as the pro shop.
"Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent." - Judge Holden, Blood Meridian.

Mark Arata

« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2013, 11:19:51 AM »
I wonder how many people pass the course and see the first and 18th and think its a waste of time....they have no idea how good holes 2-17 are... I actually liked it more than Cruden Bay, although to be fair, the rough was so high at Cruden Bay on the day we played it that any ball hit in the rough was basically a lost ball.
New Orleans, proud to swim home...........

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back