News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ran Morrissett

A reminder
« on: June 16, 2013, 08:51:12 AM »
On a recent Monday after JPN mentioned us in the Wall Street Journal weekend edition our server almost crashed; such was the crush of people. No matter where I go (including South Ulst!) people know GolfClubAtlas.com. While we can all take great pride in that, we need to recognize that the onus is on us to be at our best at all times. A busy traffic week like the US Open is as good a time as any for us to re-focus and press ahead best foot forward.

Please post under your name or something close (JSmith is fine if you don’t want Jack Smith out in public), don’t change it because you are feeling cute, be courteous, ignore Pat, stick to topics on golf course architecture, no profanity, etc. Your views on politics, gun control, etc. that you may consider fascinating aren’t why people tune in to this site. 98% of the participants readily demonstrate common sense and comply.  The other 2% struggle and boorish behavior ensues.

Currently,~1,535 have the ability to post. We will trim that back, maybe to 1,500, deleting accounts where people don’t comply with the above. Another ~ thirty pages of off topic threads will be removed this week.

Such actions are only taken with due consideration and are not at all fun. Ben and I view them as ‘a necessary waste of time' and it must happen occasionally lest we become worse. The guiding principle continues to be: What is in the best interest of GolfClubAtlas.com and what measures can be taken to improve the platform upon which discussions about golf course architecture can flourish?

People everywhere acknowledge the great value of the Discussion Group once they sift through the off point remarks. This round of action is meant to help people find that meaningful content more readily.  One thing that has developed is something I call ‘poster fatigue.’ The age of the site and the length of time that people have been posting means that there are individuals with 5,000, 10,000, 15,000 plus posts. That’s a lot! There are some who comment out of habit, not because they are adding something of value. Restraint would be appreciated as otherwise pages and pages of drivel build up over time. The beauty of this site is that it is devoted strictly to the study of golf course architecture and our posts should reflect that primacy. We aren’t trying to please sponsors or advertisers via superfluous statistics.

In 2011, Ben and I received 348 ‘report to moderator’ complaints about poor behavior. In 2012, that number dropped to 261.  Some were frivolous and others the fallout from passionate debate, which we endorse. So it appears that we are heading in the direction of gentlemanly behavior. Ben and I can’t be accused of having read The Golf Course Architecture Discussion Group Manual (was it published by Knopf? I don’t recall 8)). However, we will keep trying our very best to provide the finest open access site in the world.

We pledge that to you.

Best,

Ben & Ran

John Keenan

Re: A reminder
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2013, 09:21:01 AM »
Ran

Thanks to you and Ben for all  you do

John
The things a man has heard and seen are threads of life, and if he pulls them carefully from the confused distaff of memory, any who will can weave them into whatever garments of belief please them best.

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2013, 10:22:54 AM »
Ran - it's been nice to see you posting a bit this week. More of that would go a long way to rejuvenating this site. The long stretches without your input give a good many participants the impression you've put the joint on autopilot. Hope we'll see you around here regularly going forward.
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Jud_T

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2013, 02:50:05 PM »
Ran,

Thanks for the gentle reminder.  It's often too tempting to chime in on random topics when discretion is called for, particularly for folks like myself who were voted "Most Talkative" in Junior High. ::)  This is a fantastic site that I've learned a ton from as well as having made some great friends.  Let's keep it that way...
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Bill Vogeney

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2013, 03:03:50 PM »
Ran, first, thanks for letting me in. Secondly, thanks for all of your work on this wonderful site and the maintenance and quite honesty, babysitting required. Trust me, I understand the site babysitting aspect from past adventures

Vog

Bart Bradley

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2013, 08:42:50 PM »
Ran, as so astutely put by you, the site benefits from thoughtful, sparse posting.  Without such restraint, the true genius moments of this wonderful site are drowned in a sea of babble.  I applaud your continuing efforts to make GCA a meaningful and powerful tool to shape and explore the science and art of golf architecture.  Carry on, my good man.

Bart

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2013, 11:14:49 AM »
Having people post under their last names is a great step forward for the site. Just yesterday a club in Chicago was being discussed and it is only fair that her members know who is speaking. Thank you.

Ulrich Mayring

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2013, 11:36:02 AM »
I take that pledge.

Also, perhaps the number of posts of a contributor and his status could be removed. After all, this is not supposed to be about quantity.

Ulrich
Golf Course Exposé (300+ courses reviewed), Golf CV (how I keep track of 'em)

Brian Finn

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2013, 11:56:34 AM »
After all, this is not supposed to be about quantity.

AMEN!
New for '24: Monifieth x2, Montrose x2, Panmure, Carnoustie x3, Scotscraig, Kingsbarns, Elie, Dumbarnie, Lundin, Belvedere, The Loop x2, Forest Dunes, Arcadia Bluffs x2, Kapalua Plantation, Windsong Farm, Minikahda...

PCCraig

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2013, 12:43:48 PM »
Ran,

It's been a pleasure seeing you posting this past week. I hope you continue to do so.
H.P.S.

Jud_T

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2013, 01:42:56 PM »
Having people post under their last names is a great step forward for the site. Just yesterday a club in Chicago was being discussed and it is only fair that her members know who is speaking. Thank you.

Hey, if you'd rather play North Shore than Old Elm, Onwentsia, Bob'O'Link, Briarwood or Knollwood have at it.  Of course this coming from a guy who thinks Lawsonia and Shoreacres are dogtracks (JakaB that is...) 8)   Anyone can feel free to IM me if you want to hear my unvarnished opinion on any topic.

PS.  There are 100 times more entries per capita for Kavanaugh in the White Pages in your town than for my name in mine.  Perhaps when one has to spell his name phonetically and add the phrase "like the Superhero" when ordering Chinese takeout one deserves a wee bit of slack...
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Jeff Taylor

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2013, 01:54:23 PM »
Would a rule that demanded that one behave on this site like they behave on the golf course achieve your desired ends?

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2013, 02:51:54 PM »

Hey, if you'd rather play North Shore than Old Elm, Onwentsia, Bob'O'Link, Briarwood or Knollwood have at it.  Of course this coming from a guy who thinks Lawsonia and Shoreacres are dogtracks (JakaB that is...) 8)   Anyone can feel free to IM me if you want to hear my unvarnished opinion on any topic.

PS.  There are 100 times more entries per capita for Kavanaugh in the White Pages in your town than for my name in mine.  Perhaps when one has to spell his name phonetically and add the phrase "like the Superhero" when ordering Chinese takeout one deserves a wee bit of slack...

Jud,

I don't remember your last name and have sworn off responding to guys with fake ones, but, I never said a bad word about Shoreacres. I have never played there but did visit once and bought a shirt.  I do not like Lawsonia as much as others and plan to not return.  My biggest complaint is getting their Christian values shoved down my throat.  I found the place a bore.

Of the other courses you mention I have only played Briarwood and loved it.

Phil McDade

« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2013, 06:58:15 PM »
John:

You can buy a beer in the clubhouse now at Lawsonia; surely that's progress. ;)

Bill Seitz

« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2013, 10:36:32 PM »
I do not like Lawsonia as much as others and plan to not return.  My biggest complaint is getting their Christian values shoved down my throat.  I found the place a bore.

We must have played a different Lawsonia.  I mean, people can disagree about the quality of the architecture and conditions, but I don't recall a single deity entering the conversation even once in the weekend I spent there, at least not out of praise or education.

And I'll my thanks to Ran and Ben, both of whom I hope to thank in person some day.

Tim Gerrish

« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2013, 11:10:24 PM »
Thank you Ran...  Some of us just like to occasionally peruse the posts, get a chuckle, appreciate a comment and love the photos...  Never a wasted visit to GCA!

Phil McDade

« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2013, 11:14:32 PM »
I do not like Lawsonia as much as others and plan to not return.  My biggest complaint is getting their Christian values shoved down my throat.  I found the place a bore.

We must have played a different Lawsonia.  I mean, people can disagree about the quality of the architecture and conditions, but I don't recall a single deity entering the conversation even once in the weekend I spent there, at least not out of praise or education.

Bill:

Try this: http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,32829.0.html

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back