News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bob_Huntley

Spin on the ball
« on: June 15, 2013, 10:13:46 PM »
With all the talk of the current crop of players being unable to curve the ball has me wandering about another problem. Does anyone remember seeing the number of shots hit by Greg Norman look fantastic when hit onto the green, only to see his spin rate so quick that the ball finished thirty yards away from the impact spot?

What ball make was he using then?

Bob

jeffwarne

Re: Spin on the ball
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2013, 10:31:13 PM »
Spalding strata
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

J_ Crisham

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2013, 10:53:09 PM »
Bob,   As I recall, Norman spun one off the 9th green at the 1996 Masters which added to his downfall in his final round. A mistake Faldo would not make in their final pairing.
                                              Jack

Greg Tallman

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2013, 10:53:57 PM »
Tour Edition was the make when he was almost completely unable to control his spin with shorter clubs.

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2013, 12:10:30 AM »
Yes, it was the Spalding Tour Edition.
"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

Nigel Islam

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2013, 09:02:56 AM »
I'm pretty sure Norman was using a Maxfli HT balata in 1996. I am 100% sure he was using one in 1994 because I started playing then, and I remember an add Maxfli had with Jack, Freddie, Norman, and somebody else. I think the Titleist Professional came out in late 96 or early 97. The Spalding Strata and Nike TW accuraccy came out crica 1999-2000 and were the precursor to the Prov1 which came out in 2000  after the PGA (the Vegas toruney?) Prior to that not very many players were using non balata balls due to equipment contracts. Price won 2 majors in 1994 with the Precept EV which I think was a 4 piece ball. The Prov1 changed the game completely.

I am personally a proponent of a high spinning ball for tour players if not everyone.

Nigel Islam

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2013, 09:03:44 AM »
Here is the link, it was the Maxfli HT, he switched to the XS-90 later that year.

http://www.thefreelibrary.com/MAXFLI+ANNOUNCES+BUSINESS+PARTNERSHIP+WITH+GREG+NORMAN%3B+FIVE+YEAR...-a018487829

Garland Bayley

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2013, 09:55:00 AM »
...The Prov1 changed the game completely....

Don't think you can say it was the ProV1. Strata was advertising it was the most commonly used ball on tour before the ProV1 came out. The game had already changed and Titleist was just catching up.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back