News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

ChipOat

Re: USGA Architecture Forum at 4 PM Today
« Reply #75 on: June 19, 2013, 11:22:22 PM »
RE: Crossovers.

I confess that I only read the first page of this thread, so my answer may be redundant.

I believe the original routing was as the holes were played in the 1916 Amateur.  If I'm right about that, today's #6 was #3, 7 was 4, 4 was 5, 5 was 6 and 3 was 7.  There are no crossovers in that sequence unless the "normal" championship tee box on today's #4 was there from Day One (I don't know, although I would guess not).

Even today, except when the VERY back tee boxes are used on #3, the walk from 5 green to 6 tee goes behind the third tee box - no crossover there except in USGA events.

It is true that the walk from the original 13th green to the 14th tee did not involve a cross over given the location of the original first hole.

Therefore, there are two crossovers today (2G/3T and 13G/14T) + a third one in USGA events (5G/6T).

I believe the original number was zero.

DMoriarty

Re: USGA Architecture Forum at 4 PM Today
« Reply #76 on: June 20, 2013, 12:12:51 AM »
Thanks for chiming in on the supposed crossovers. 

I know some accounts say the routing was originally as it was in the 1916 Am, but I am pretty sure that at the time of the opening the routing order was the same as it is now, and that it was switched at some point before the 1916 Amateur then switched again sometime after.  For example, around the time of the opening Findlay described the 185 yard "third hole" and wrote that it would remind some of that famous hole overseas. 

Either way, I think your points still apply. 
Golf history can be quite interesting if you just let your favorite legends go and allow the truth to take you where it will.
--Tom MacWood (1958-2012)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back