News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike Hendren

Sewanee, How I Luvya How I Luvya (Hanse in TN)
« on: December 18, 2012, 11:50:26 AM »
I understand Gil Hanse's work is done at The University of the South and growing in nicely.  

If interested in a Saturday  a.m. walk-about this winter, let me know by e-mail or IM.  I hear it's looking good.

Bogey
« Last Edit: December 18, 2012, 12:07:49 PM by Michael_Hendren »
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Dale_McCallon

Re: Sewanee, How I Luvya How I Luvya (Hanse in TN)
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2012, 12:48:18 PM »
Bogey,

Didn't this course get a chapter in Pioppi's book?  I've never been, but always heard the campus was really nice.  I assume the course plays over some fairly big elevation changes?

Mike Hendren

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2012, 01:06:57 PM »
Dale, good to hear from you.  Yes, the course was included in To The Nines.  It was designed by Bishop Albion Knight and constructed by students.   Pre-renovation it was always in rough shape with common grass in the fairways and lengthy bent grass greens that resembled a comb-over.  A surprisingly easy and relatively flat walk excepting a small valley that cuts through the 2nd and 3rd fairways.  Hanse retained the original routing, which is quite good.

I might have a new home course, albeit 1.5 hours away.  Fortunately there is a Waffle House at the exit for early rounds.  Also a very nice restaurant with full bar nearby for late afternoon rounds that serves oysters with bleu cheese and country ham bits on top. 

Bogey
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

BCrosby

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2012, 02:11:24 PM »
Bogey -

My family used to vacation in Monteagle. I have played the pre-Hanse course hundreds of times. I can't wait to see his redo. When are you going? Is it open for play?

Bob

Rob Collins

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2012, 03:26:56 PM »
I visited the course several times during construction and I can report that Gil and his guys did a great job.  I went to Sewanee and have played the course more times than I can count, and I am anxiously awaiting the opportunity to play the new version. 
Rob Collins

www.kingcollinsgolf.com
@kingcollinsgolf on Twitter
@kingcollinsgolf on Instagram

Bill_McBride

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2012, 04:22:19 PM »
My brother went to Sewanee in the mid '60's (obviously through family connections).  He played on the golf team a couple of years.  I played with him once and saw him make an ace on what must have been the sixth, although I remember a ravine more than a pond.  I went back about 1994 while working a trade show in Nashville.  The conditions had deteriorated from what I recalled from thirty years earlier.  It's great to see serious money put into the course, which had an interesting layout.

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2012, 08:26:06 PM »
Aww man, did they do away with the outrageously skinny green on the par 3 4th hole?!  :-\
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Mark Pritchett

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2012, 11:11:16 AM »

I love the Sewanee Golf Club and hope to get up there soon to check out the work.  

Here is the Silva plan that was never incorporated.  

« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 07:03:40 PM by Mark Pritchett »

Bill Gayne

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2013, 02:27:12 AM »
I was in Sewanee today and what a great looking nine hole campus golf course. The only draw back was the lack of walkers.

I knew Sewanee had a great football past at the turn of the century but was not aware of the 1899 season. Amazing six day stretch of victories.

http://espn.go.com/espn/page2/story/_/id/7001627/sec-expansion-conference-consider-sewanee-long-lost-founding-member

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back