News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

William_G

What makes each hole at Merion or any course memorable?
« on: June 15, 2013, 03:58:23 PM »
The extremely long and short holes sure help one remember the holes and I have not played there.

Is that great architecture?

As opposed to 440 480 430 510 200 etc...
It's all about the golf!

Ed Brzezowski

Re: What makes each hole at Merion or any course memorable?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2013, 04:01:22 PM »
It's beautiful.    So i guess that's good/ great architecture??
We have a pool and a pond, the pond would be good for you.

William_G

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2013, 04:40:22 PM »
it is beautiful as the whole place is

yet each hole is memorable in and of itself  :)
It's all about the golf!

Bill_McBride

Re: What makes each hole at Merion or any course memorable? New
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2013, 06:50:10 PM »
Great variety and a bunch of half par holes make for a really good course.   I love that little par 3 up to the clubhouse.  11 is such a great hole.  
« Last Edit: June 15, 2013, 11:49:48 PM by Bill_McBride »

Bill Vogeney

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2013, 07:52:28 PM »
For me, it's a combination of how well the hole is framed, and the green complex.  I like a little angle off the tee, forcing you to really focus on a line. For example, I really love the new gold tee at Prairie Dunes #5 even though I have no business playing that tee. The new tee and that first fairway bunker on the left really frames the tee shot. To me, it is a much more pleasing and interesting tee shot than the white or blue tee.

Among tee complexes, I love the 1st green at Oakmont,along with #3 with the blind uphill shot. I also enjoy the 16th there, the par 3 with the opening on the left with the green rising to the right side of the green. I can't recall, I think it's the first par 3 at Riviera, #4, that I really loved when I played there a decade ago. And once you've played it, who can forget #14 at Pebble? It is the one hole I could play over and over again, one, because it is a great challenge, and two, because I have yet to par it after 5 rounds. Not even close, to be honest. #17 at Prairie Dunes is about as wild as anything I have played, because anything in the front right quadrant of the green, well, is down in the big bowl.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back