News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David_Tepper

Terry Lavin

Re: Merion "manipulated" (?)
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2013, 11:49:00 AM »
Of course it has been manipulated. I'll bet the Merion's members are thrilled that the old lady was turned into a dominatrix. Members like to see pros suffer at their course. The way the course is set up, a pro can stand on ten tee boxes and fear the possibility of double bogey.  That won't offend the sensibility of the USGA or the Merion membership.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2013, 11:52:41 AM »
Common term for growing rough, speeding up greens to unreal speeds, tucking pins, narrowing fairways all in the name of protecting par.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

William_G

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2013, 11:56:40 AM »
Billy Horschel must have liked the course, no?

This is mere confirmation of my continued decrease in interest in the PGA and it's rank and file and their tournaments.

The monetization of a game that we love has had a chilling effect on many PGA members and common sense for many on tour.

They have all become bubble babies out there. They all need to take a page out of Lee Trevino's book.

It's all about the golf!

Jud_T

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2013, 11:59:42 AM »
Not a big Zack fan, but both he and Geoff are of course painted as "whiny" for addressing the giant elephant in the room and daring to question the quaint old-timey story-line being regurgitated by the talking heads.  If a Merion member from the 20's was ressurected would he even recognize the course?
« Last Edit: June 15, 2013, 12:18:32 PM by Jud T »
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

William_G

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2013, 12:02:32 PM »
every course these guys play ids manipulated, why complain now?

no surprise Merion is juiced from where I sit
It's all about the golf!

DMoriarty

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2013, 12:04:00 PM »
If a Merion member from the 20's was ressurected would he even recognize the course?

The member might have trouble recognizing the 7th . . .

Golf history can be quite interesting if you just let your favorite legends go and allow the truth to take you where it will.
--Tom MacWood (1958-2012)

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2013, 12:12:28 PM »
David,

I just saw that view on TV, and at least I recognize the bunker.  But, Merion like so many others seems to have overplanted trees (and they are nowhere near the worst offenders looking at aerials)  I wonder when that tree planting started, and if Wilson or Flynn ever planted a tree?  If so, maybe we can ascertain that this was their intent, even if they didn't properly consider mature tree size......
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

DMoriarty

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2013, 12:31:24 PM »
That photo is circa 1930.  Wilson was dead and Flynn hadn't been the Super in a number of years.
Golf history can be quite interesting if you just let your favorite legends go and allow the truth to take you where it will.
--Tom MacWood (1958-2012)

C. Squier

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2013, 12:35:00 PM »
Common term for growing rough, speeding up greens to unreal speeds, tucking pins, narrowing fairways all in the name of protecting par.

The only differences I can see from what the members play are the tees are longer and the rough grown a bit taller.  Otherwise, Zach is playing the same course everyone else has been for the last number of years....and it would be complete hyperbole to say that a few shifted fairways have made Merion a totally different golf course.

Tim Martin

« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2013, 12:36:29 PM »
Wonder how he would like it if he was on the first page of the leader board instead of packing. Can you produce even a handful of negative comments from different players? Sour grapes is unbecoming. ;D

Carl Nichols

« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2013, 12:44:31 PM »
Wonder how he would like it if he was on the first page of the leader board instead of packing. Can you produce even a handful of negative comments from different players? Sour grapes is unbecoming. ;D

Exactly. Master of the Obvious and Sour Grapes all at once.

Tim Martin

« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2013, 01:19:11 PM »
Ah give the guy a break. Is he not just repeating what 95% of posters have been saying about the setup on this site over the last year? The course looks phenomena - amazing greens, wonderful texture etcl, but I agree that the setup does not appear to be close to ideal. Makes fun viewing for a US Open, for sure, but those fairways need to be widened considerably afterwards and I think most people here wonder what those bunkers are doing mired in rough.

It seems pretty clear that the mowing lines will be adjusted as well as the rough subsequent to the finish. I guess Mike Davis's visionary tag is gone huh? ;)
« Last Edit: June 15, 2013, 01:21:32 PM by Tim Martin »

Terry Lavin

« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2013, 01:41:47 PM »
Ah give the guy a break. Is he not just repeating what 95% of posters have been saying about the setup on this site over the last year? The course looks phenomena - amazing greens, wonderful texture etcl, but I agree that the setup does not appear to be close to ideal. Makes fun viewing for a US Open, for sure, but those fairways need to be widened considerably afterwards and I think most people here wonder what those bunkers are doing mired in rough.

It seems pretty clear that the mowing lines will be adjusted as well as the rough subsequent to the finish. I guess Mike Davis's visionary tag is gone huh? ;)

Call it ironic or hypocritical but Davis talks like he loves gca and he spends all his time compromising its intent.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

ward peyronnin

« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2013, 01:56:04 PM »
I have read so much negativity on our site regarding this Open. Kinda disppointing

may I say that I have really enjoyed watching the last few days; players fairly tested and variety of holes and superb routing.

And after all how can one overlook the leaderboard this set up has produced. Certainly much more distinguished and tighter than last year's( amaxing at least 14 players within two shots). Perhaps that is the ultimate litmus test perhaps not but it is the only objective one I have read
"Golf is happiness. It's intoxication w/o the hangover; stimulation w/o the pills. It's price is high yet its rewards are richer. Some say its a boys pastime but it builds men. It cleanses the mind/rejuvenates the body. It is these things and many more for those of us who truly love it." M.Norman

Ed Brzezowski

« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2013, 02:21:40 PM »
And BTW, #15 at Merion the way it's set up is a STUPID hole.  Just stupid.  If you're going to set it up like that, instead of cutting down the posts, the USGA should have build a low, stone wall (maybe 2.5 feet) so balls could be stopped.  It's asinine that Sergio, one of the best drivers in the game, is hitting 7 off the tee.  He ain't that bad; it's that Mike Davis is that bad.

Worked 15 Thursday Friday and will  Sunday.  The hole is fine. There is room to err right and short. The posts have been there forever so just don't hit it there. Sergio put two into the Blue Cross tent Thursday for Gods sake, maybe a great driver of the ball should aim better.

Saw at least three birdies yesterday from the right rough. Three from the fairway bunkers too. And a lot of others.

Maybe the USGA can build walls around bunkers so the ball won't land in them?

You sound like Garrigus, he went OB yesterday and blew a head gasket when i told him he was OB. He blamed the USGA for having posts and a road there. The OB is listed on the hard card. Understand the course and play it
We have a pool and a pond, the pond would be good for you.

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2013, 02:25:30 PM »
And BTW, #15 at Merion the way it's set up is a STUPID hole.  Just stupid.  If you're going to set it up like that, instead of cutting down the posts, the USGA should have build a low, stone wall (maybe 2.5 feet) so balls could be stopped.  It's asinine that Sergio, one of the best drivers in the game, is hitting 7 off the tee.  He ain't that bad; it's that Mike Davis is that bad.

Agree about 15. I've never seen an O.B. two steps from a fairway on any golf course, anywhere. I've got no bitch about the setup of the golf course in general, but 15 is not a U.S. Open hole.
"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

Ed Brzezowski

« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2013, 02:32:34 PM »
Ummmmm.   Anyone play TOC 18th hole??   Seem to think the OB is fairly tight there, North Berwick, yeah tight there . Ask the Volvo I bounced off.

I guess neither of these courses have hosted an event.
We have a pool and a pond, the pond would be good for you.

Tim Martin

« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2013, 02:35:28 PM »
I have read so much negativity on our site regarding this Open. Kinda disppointing

may I say that I have really enjoyed watching the last few days; players fairly tested and variety of holes and superb routing.

And after all how can one overlook the leaderboard this set up has produced. Certainly much more distinguished and tighter than last year's( amaxing at least 14 players within two shots). Perhaps that is the ultimate litmus test perhaps not but it is the only objective one I have read

I'm with Ward as I think the tournament so far has been great. I guess it's trendy to hate the USGA and everything they do for the game and that's a shame.

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2013, 02:41:53 PM »
Ummmmm.   Anyone play TOC 18th hole??   Seem to think the OB is fairly tight there, North Berwick, yeah tight there . Ask the Volvo I bounced off.

I guess neither of these courses have hosted an event.

I stand corrected about the 18th at TOC -- although there's so much bail-out room to the left that even Ian Baker-Finch at his worst couldn't have gotten in trouble in that direction. That certainly doesn't hold true for going right right on 15 at Merion.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2013, 02:50:08 PM by Rick Shefchik »
"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

Terry Lavin

« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2013, 02:42:03 PM »
Tim,

I don't hate what they're doing; it's in their DNA to defend par, regardless of how they do it. It's their championship and the Merion members are thrilled, I'm sure. I just find it laughable that Mike Davis talks like Merion is an old school shrine, but he's content to transmogrify it in his own fashion. Talks like a purist but is quite the opposite.

William_G

« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2013, 03:05:56 PM »
Tim,

I don't hate what they're doing; it's in their DNA to defend par, regardless of how they do it. It's their championship and the Merion members are thrilled, I'm sure. I just find it laughable that Mike Davis talks like Merion is an old school shrine, but he's content to transmogrify it in his own fashion. Talks like a purist but is quite the opposite.

he clearly wants it both ways

he added a (temporary) bunker in the fairway on 17 at Olympic just for the US Open last year, nuf said
It's all about the golf!

Phil McDade

« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2013, 03:14:49 PM »
Oh good lord -- Davis has a 98-yard par 3 today (13th). That's just......silly.

Wade Whitehead

« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2013, 03:18:30 PM »
Phil:

How long should the 13th play?

WW

Tim Martin

« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2013, 03:19:18 PM »
Tim,

Judge-I was not referring to your comments as I certainly respect your right to voice your opinion and I understand your view. Some of the bashing for a myriad of issues of which some are related to the US Open and some not seem to be piling on at least to me. This sentiment seems to have permeated the board since the anchoring decision. In essence the USGA is responsible for global warming, the financial crisis and childhood obesity.  ;D

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back