News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Dan Moore

Where the Challenge is Fun
« on: June 20, 2013, 02:15:55 PM »
Most agree that the set-up at Merion was destined to remove the element of fun and that got me thinking that golf that is challenging can still be fun.  Creative shotmaking to recover from a wayward shot was completely eliminated last week and the greenside rough took away that fun element of the game as well.. 

Does a golf course that challenges your ability and is still fun is the epitome of great architecture.  Augusta seems to meet that criteria.  Will Pinehurst meet that challenge next year?  What about Sebonack for next week's Women's Open?

Do you agree that great architecture should combine challenge and fun?  Does the future of golf depend on golf being fun to play?

My three favorite courses that combine challenge with fun follow.  What are your three favorites that combine challenge and fun? 

Royal Cinque Ports Golf Club (site of the British Am this week)

Ballyneal GC

Lawsonia
"Is there any other game which produces in the human mind such enviable insanity."  Bernard Darwin

Tommy Williamsen

Re: Where the Challenge is Fun
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2013, 02:18:50 PM »
« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 10:06:50 PM by Tommy Williamsen »
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Garland Bayley

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2013, 02:39:58 PM »
Well duh! ;D

Old MacDonald
Bandon Trails
Pacific Dunes

Chambers Bay would have made the list if it had been left as it was when it was created.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Bill_McBride

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2013, 03:35:49 PM »
Most agree that the set-up at Merion was destined to remove the element of fun and that got me thinking that golf that is challenging can still be fun.  Creative shotmaking to recover from a wayward shot was completely eliminated last week and the greenside rough took away that fun element of the game as well.. 

Does a golf course that challenges your ability and is still fun is the epitome of great architecture.  Augusta seems to meet that criteria.  Will Pinehurst meet that challenge next year?  What about Sebonack for next week's Women's Open?

Do you agree that great architecture should combine challenge and fun?  Does the future of golf depend on golf being fun to play?

My three favorite courses that combine challenge with fun follow.  What are your three favorites that combine challenge and fun? 

Royal Cinque Ports Golf Club (site of the British Am this week)

Ballyneal GC

Lawsonia

I haven't played Lawsonia but I certainly agree with the first two.  Throw in the Old Course and I'm a happy guy, fun and challenged.

Carl Rogers

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2013, 12:09:14 PM »
Royal New Kent & Tobacco Road ... if you play from the correct tees and hit it just fairly straight, they are real fun
Ballyhack .... you just have to realize your score is going to higher and there is nothing you can do about it.
I decline to accept the end of man. ... William Faulkner

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2013, 12:19:33 PM »
The Old Course
Pacific Dunes
Sagebrush

The wicks
Prestwick
Painswick
West North Berwick

Wildhorse
Wine Valley

Charlie Gallagher

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2013, 01:02:41 PM »
Wolf Point,
Boston Golf Club
County Louth

Width, high strategic interest, greens that require thoughtful driving and approaching, lots of recovery options. Hard to lose a ball.
 To quote a friend, "High Joy Factor". You earn a score and have great funn doing it.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2013, 02:59:18 PM »
Dan,

Absolutely dead on when you say that "Creative shotmaking to recover from a wayward shot was completely eliminated last week (at the US Open) and the greenside rough took away that fun element of the game as well".

That someone with the short game skills of Like Donald was unable to hit a 15 yd pitch from right of the 18th green in the third round and keep it on the green is not how courses, even ones holding Majors, should be set-up IMO. Okay, maybe he shouldn't have hit his second shot there, but let's allow skilful shotmaking not just 'hack-n-hope' to prevail.

All the best.

Eric_Terhorst

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2013, 11:59:32 PM »
To those already mentioned I would Holston Hills, Brora, and North Berwick

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back