News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Rick Shefchik

Re: While We're Young!
« Reply #75 on: June 14, 2013, 04:17:43 PM »
Simple, corny and slightly stupid is the way to reach the masses. These ads might not be effective (I'm sure they won't be), but they'll be memorable.
"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

William_G

« Reply #76 on: June 14, 2013, 04:22:25 PM »
I think many of you are being too cynical.  I think the ads are funny, and that starts conversations.  Everyone thinks they are a marketing person.  But give them credit, they are trying.
Jim-Some of us are marketing people... If you ever attended a creative meeting and someone said they did not like your idea, the absolute worst thing you could say is "But I tried really hard!"

People have been fired for less.

the problem with marketing people is they need content otherwise........................., and at least the USGA is putting the thought out and it is funny as well as tying in the word "young" which is the future of the game we all love
It's all about the golf!

Doug Ralston

« Reply #77 on: June 14, 2013, 04:39:55 PM »
Agreed. I think these ads are being criticized more for their execution than their content.

I would have rather they try to recreate the Caddyshack scene better.

How about Arnie walking up to Clint Eastwood and saying "Hey Whitey, where's your hat?"

Now THAT would have been funny.

Funny, but the correct name was 'Blondie', as I recall.

Doug
Where is everybody? Where is Tommy N? Where is John K? Where is Jay F? What has happened here? Has my absence caused this chaos? I'm sorry. All my rowdy friends have settled down ......... somewhere else!

Mac Plumart

« Reply #78 on: June 14, 2013, 05:50:38 PM »
They just said a group is 'on the clock'
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Richard Choi

« Reply #79 on: June 14, 2013, 05:59:39 PM »
Wake me when they actually hand out penalties. Other groups have been "on the clock" in past opens and PGA tour events. I have still yet to see them get penalty strokes.

Matthew Rose

« Reply #80 on: June 14, 2013, 06:00:15 PM »
Yes, the Colsaerts group and that was before all three of them rinsed their balls on #9. That won't help.
American-Australian. Trackman Course Guy. Fatalistic sports fan. Drummer. Bass player. Father. Cat lover.

Doug Ralston

« Reply #81 on: June 14, 2013, 06:51:36 PM »
Agreed. I think these ads are being criticized more for their execution than their content.

I would have rather they try to recreate the Caddyshack scene better.

How about Arnie walking up to Clint Eastwood and saying "Hey Whitey, where's your hat?"

Now THAT would have been funny.

Funny, but the correct name was 'Blondie', as I recall.

Doug

Dude, give up your career as a Caddyshack afficianado.  It's Whitey.  And he get a free bowl of soup with that hat, thank you very little...

LOL. Sorry, 'Blondie' came from 'The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly". Clint at his Clintiest.

Doug
Where is everybody? Where is Tommy N? Where is John K? Where is Jay F? What has happened here? Has my absence caused this chaos? I'm sorry. All my rowdy friends have settled down ......... somewhere else!

Richard Choi

« Reply #82 on: June 14, 2013, 06:59:36 PM »
Mickelson's group is more than a full hole behind and has already been warned.

Anybody wanna take a bet that they will be penalized? I didn't think so.

Oh, and I see not even a hint that these guys are trying to play faster than usual. They know that USGA does not have the balls too.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2013, 07:07:39 PM by Richard Choi »

Mac Plumart

« Reply #83 on: June 14, 2013, 07:07:34 PM »
Richard, I'm sure you are correct. Sad.

William_G

« Reply #84 on: June 14, 2013, 07:33:17 PM »
?
« Last Edit: June 14, 2013, 07:35:45 PM by William_Grieve »
It's all about the golf!

Mac Plumart

« Reply #85 on: June 14, 2013, 08:26:58 PM »
Correct me if I'm wrong.  But the Colsartes group got around in a bit under 5 hours.

This anti-slow play campaign is already working.   ::)

Jason Thurman

« Reply #86 on: June 15, 2013, 11:03:44 AM »
Mickelson's group is more than a full hole behind and has already been warned.

Anybody wanna take a bet that they will be penalized? I didn't think so.

Oh, and I see not even a hint that these guys are trying to play faster than usual. They know that USGA does not have the balls too.

They wound up hitting into the group in front of them on 18, so I guess they made up that gap.  ::)
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back