News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Goldasich

Re: 115 Major Championship sites
« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2013, 04:14:42 PM »
Quick correction... Shoal Creek has actually hosted two professional majors (1984 and 1990 PGA Championships) as well as the 1986 US Amateur.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2013, 06:06:06 PM »

Fresh Meadow (US Open 1932, PGA 1930) [2]
Inwood (US Open 1923, PGA 1921) [2]

I believe one of these NLE as the club bought new property and the location the the old course is now houses.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Michael Felton

« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2013, 06:08:47 PM »

I believe one of these NLE as the club bought new property and the location the the old course is now houses.

I believe Fresh Meadow is the one you are talking about. As far as I know Inwood is still there as it was.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2013, 08:23:55 PM »
CC Buffalo (US Open 1912) [1] Now Grover Cleveland Park municipal course
Englewood (US Open 1909) [1] NLE
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Garland Bayley

« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2013, 08:24:42 PM »

I believe Fresh Meadow is the one you are talking about. As far as I know Inwood is still there as it was.

That's correct the Fresh Meadow that held the majors is NLE

Tom_Doak

« Reply #30 on: December 18, 2013, 08:26:24 PM »
Yeah, I was definitely not trying to indict any course of the list of those unlikely to see another major--many different reasons in play. Some are comfortable in their current roles (Firestone, PGA Natl), some are better suited to senior or ladies events (Cherry Hills, Shoal Creek, Inverness), etc.

But Inverness was scored on by the seniors in the last senior Open there and was frankly scored on pretty well 20 years ago during the last big boy major it hosted. Hard to see it getting another major. Crooked Stick was similarly beat up by the pros last year during the BMW. The consensus then was that even the BMW might not be likely to return. They've had senior events there in the past, too. Ditto Cherry Hills which is a great venure for women's or senior opens--I suppose if it really steps up and holds its own in next year's BMW it might get considered, but it is just likely too short given the altitude.

Why does low scoring in past majors constitute an indictment against a course?

Scoring is usually more about the playing conditions on the week (firmness, wind, rain) than about how well the players hit the ball.

If the guys who were playing the best won, what does it matter what the winning score was?

Nigel Islam

« Reply #31 on: December 18, 2013, 09:34:19 PM »
It is actually 116 courses that have hosted majors. The PGA National course was played at two different locations. The current course and the course now known as Ballen Isles. Baltrusol is tricky to count so you can look at that as one to two more courses. Plus Shinnecock could theoretically be two as well.

Other trivia:

Ross designed 15 different courses that hosted majors and Tillinghast designed 10. Nobody else is even close to those two.

Valhalla will become the 37th course to host 3 or more majors next year.

26 states have hosted majors

BCowan

« Reply #32 on: December 18, 2013, 09:51:11 PM »
But Inverness was scored on by the seniors in the last senior Open there and was frankly scored on pretty well 20 years ago during the last big boy major it hosted. Hard to see it getting another major. Crooked Stick was similarly beat up by the pros last year during the BMW. The consensus then was that even the BMW might not be likely to return. They've had senior events there in the past, too. Ditto Cherry Hills which is a great venure for women's or senior opens--I suppose if it really steps up and holds its own in next year's BMW it might get considered, but it is just likely too short given the altitude.

The 2011 Senior Open at Inverness had 3-4 inches of rain the week before, look at 2003 scores -7 won.  Look at 86 and 93 PGA, and  79' Open scoring they didn't tear it up.  Also the Senior Open is in July and scoring tends to be lower as David Fay has said in regards to Westchester moving from Aug to June and the scores were drastically lower in Aug.  Look at Congressional Open Rory won and AT&T scoring is different.  

Wouldn't a course identifying the most well rounded and cream of the crop player be more deserving than one that doesn't identify the best player?  Look at the Winners at Inverness Ted Ray, Hal Irwin, Lietzke, Azinger, and Tway!  Pretty good lineup and Norman owned a stake of the 86 and 93 PGA.  I wonder if there isn't enough 5 star hotels in Toledo to support the regular open. ---that is just a hunch, don't burn me at the stake.  

BHoover

« Reply #33 on: December 18, 2013, 09:59:52 PM »
The list of winners at Inverness isn't too shabby. I'd love to see another men's major at Inverness or anywhere else in Ohio. Unfortunately, I think that Ohio's days of hosting majors are over. There always will be senior and women's majors, but I just don't see a men's major returning here for the foreseeable future. It'd be a shame because ohio has had a nice list of courses that have hosted majors--Inverness, Canterbury, Scioto, NCR, Firestone, Moraine, Columbus CC.

I think there was a thread a while back about whether the majors have passed by Ohio.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2013, 10:04:04 PM by Brian Hoover »

BCowan

« Reply #34 on: December 18, 2013, 10:29:45 PM »
Brian

A lot of it also has to do with having  20 corporate tents.  I think Bethpage had 100.  Inverness has farm land around it, i wonder where they are going to put tents for Scioto's Senior Open?  Pool area, bottom of #14 hill?  I bet only Muirfield has a shot at an Open even with it's record with tons of rain and soft conditions.  Jack has pull and he has the space for the tents.  It is too bad more aren't considered for their merits over their ability to have large tents.  The downfall of hosting a major is it is hard to get on that course the year of and soon after.  

Matthew Rose

« Reply #35 on: December 18, 2013, 11:07:18 PM »
Hasn't there been some talk of the PGA returning to Aronomink? I seem to recall hearing that when the club hosted the AT&T National.

I seem to recall the pros loving Aronimink the two years it was there. Seems like a good choice.
American-Australian. Trackman Course Guy. Fatalistic sports fan. Drummer. Bass player. Father. Cat lover.

Joe Bausch

« Reply #36 on: December 19, 2013, 03:19:37 AM »
When does Aronomink get another chance to host a major? It seems that, with Merion being the course in Philly to host an Open, the PGA would be the more likely major for Aronomink.

Is this a possibility?

Yes.  Very much so, IMHO.
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Sean_A

« Reply #37 on: December 19, 2013, 04:12:27 AM »
Okay, two guys (at least) wrote about "identifying the best player".  How exactly does a course do this?  The best score wins so I tend to think players win tournments rather than the course selects winners.  Do folks have a black art formula whereby they can calculate who the best player was regardless of score?  

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield & Alnmouth,

Tim_Cronin

« Reply #38 on: December 20, 2013, 08:23:48 PM »
Crooked Stick was soaked before and during the 2012 BMW. PGA Tour played lift, clean and place all four days. Mucky all around.
The website: www.illinoisgolfer.net
On Twitter: @illinoisgolfer

Philip Caccamise

« Reply #39 on: December 20, 2013, 10:28:56 PM »
Inwood is a damn good golf course and from what I understand the layout hasn't changed much at all, unfortunately it is right in the flight plan of JFK.

Fresh Meadow was originally off the Utopia Parkway, if you look south off the LIE around exit 25 you can still see the trees that were there when the course moved to its current location. It was a Tillinghast...

Bill McKinley

« Reply #40 on: December 21, 2013, 02:05:22 PM »
It is actually 116 courses that have hosted majors. The PGA National course was played at two different locations. The current course and the course now known as Ballen Isles. Baltrusol is tricky to count so you can look at that as one to two more courses. Plus Shinnecock could theoretically be two as well.

Other trivia:

Ross designed 15 different courses that hosted majors and Tillinghast designed 10. Nobody else is even close to those two.

More trivia...

Name the 3 courses that have hosted all 5 of the men's rotating majors (US Open, Sr US Open, PGA, Sr. PGA and US Am).
2016 Highlights:  Streamsong Blue (3/17); Streamsong Red (3/17); Charles River Club (5/16); The Country Club - Brookline (5/17); Myopia Hunt Club (5/17); Fishers Island Club (5/18); Aronomink GC (10/16); Pine Valley GC (10/17); Somerset Hills CC (10/18)

Nigel Islam

« Reply #41 on: December 21, 2013, 03:30:59 PM »

Other trivia:

More trivia...

Name the 3 courses that have hosted all 5 of the men's rotating majors (US Open, Sr US Open, PGA, Sr. PGA and US Am).

Canterbury and Oak Hill. Will need more time to get the third.

Jonathan Mallard

« Reply #42 on: December 21, 2013, 03:35:13 PM »
Two points of order:

• The PGA in 1949 was held at what is Belmont Golf Course now. It's owned by the county.
  • I think the 1987 US Open was at Olympic, no?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back