News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

V. Kmetz

Mr. Meteorology Says...
« on: June 13, 2013, 02:10:22 AM »
This storm is going to blitz the Philly area about 8:30 am if not sooner....

It's 2:00am EDT right now; the first tee times are in five hours; the leading edge of the storm is hitting the N/S line from Cleveland to Columbus in a few minutes; two advance pockets, north and south, are already in western PA. 

Between what is on the ground in Ardmore already, and the size of the storm behind the leading edge, plus its speed, I have a suspicion that tomorrow may end up being a scrub altogether.

Craziest Spring ever here in the Northeast...what am I saying..?.. there has been no spring...about 20-25 seasonally fair days total since March 21.

EXAMPLE: Sunday, May 26...temps in lo 50s , wind chill 38 degrees...ski caps...
               Thursday, Friday May 30, 31...HIs of 91 in Central Park, ice towels and bottled water ferried out to players

cheers

vk
"The tee shot must first be hit straight and long between a vast bunker on the left which whispers 'slice' in the player's ear, and a wilderness on the right which induces a hurried hook." -

Bryan Izatt

Re: Mr. Meteorology Says...
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2013, 02:35:15 AM »
This is a really interesting looking storm.  If Thursday got washed out, wouldn't they extend to Monday, or play 36 on Sunday.  The day is quite long at this time of year.

JESII

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2013, 06:18:56 AM »
They would play 36 Sunday if today were a wash and no other problems...let's hope for no other problems. This storm sounds like a nightmare if you have 20,000 stadium seats constructed out of scaffolding and vinyl sitting on the golf course.

JESII

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2013, 07:06:05 AM »
Correct.

In truth, the way Merion is set laid out with several tees and greens really close to each other, I suspect getting the full field of 156 around in a single day will prove challenging.

Josh Tarble

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2013, 08:32:52 AM »
Holding out hope for Merion, but here in Indy, the storm was like pretty much everything these days: overhyped and under delivered.  Only lasted maybe 30 minutes - now, that was pretty intense rain, wind and lightning.  But it passed through without much issue.

Jud_T

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2013, 08:56:29 AM »
Josh,

We had a similar experience.  The question is how long it will take them to prep the course again and get everyone back out there.
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Josh Tarble

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2013, 09:19:37 AM »
Jud, that's probably the biggest issue.  Let's hope not too many downed limbs and they can just blow off some of the debris and go once it passes through.

BHoover

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2013, 09:23:27 AM »
When this storm rolled through Columbus last night and early this morning, it didn't seem like much in my neck of the woods.  But that of course didn't stop the local NBC affiliate from interrupting Game 1 of the Stanley Cup finals for about 7 hours of weather coverage.

That said, I heard that the storm caused some damage farther north of Columbus.

Bryan Icenhower

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2013, 10:30:00 AM »
The storm whipped through ardmore quickly and is gone, brought lots of rain but it was quick.  Currently not raining just one town over.

Mark McKeever

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2013, 10:34:32 AM »
The storm whipped through ardmore quickly and is gone, brought lots of rain but it was quick.  Currently not raining just one town over.

Get them back out there!

;D
Best MGA showers - Bayonne

"Dude, he's a total d***"

V. Kmetz

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2013, 10:46:37 AM »
Mr Meteorology was within 6 minutes of predicting the actual stop time (8:36)...

I'm not so sure they can just..."get them back out there"...

A. Must be "some" greens/maintenance work to be conducted.
B. The players are to be brought back over from the West course and re-positioned
C.  I don't like the looks of these follow-up cells WSW of Philly; some are breaking up, but some are growing in strength
D.  I think biblical rains are coming by 3:30-4:00

cheers

vk
"The tee shot must first be hit straight and long between a vast bunker on the left which whispers 'slice' in the player's ear, and a wilderness on the right which induces a hurried hook." -

Bryan Icenhower

« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2013, 10:56:50 AM »
If they don't get 4 hours of play in today the USGA will be in an interesting spot with providing refunds or tickets to another day - tough to get more people on that course as they have sold to capacity each day.

V. Kmetz

« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2013, 11:19:05 AM »
It's going to be right on the line with regards to actual amount of play they get in today.

Hopefully they are using this current pause in the weather as judiciously and expeditiously as they can.

Even in that hope, I fear that the variation in conditions across a now-backed up tee slate and "next day" finishes are going to overwhelm the memory of this championship.  I mean the little bit of action I watched so far was like lawn darts...that Back left pin on #11 should be ultra dangerous and it's fairly ultra-soft from the snippet I've observed.

cheers

vk

Dan_Callahan

« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2013, 11:34:47 AM »
Play to resume at 12:10.

Dan Kelly

« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2013, 11:42:48 AM »
Play to resume at 12:10.

While We're Young?
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Matthew Essig

« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2013, 04:05:10 AM »
Friday Forecast:

Wind in Morning = 15 mph
Wind in Afternoon = 10 mph

Chance of rain in Morning = 0%
Chance of rain in Afternoon = 30%***

***Isolated Thunderstorms***
"Good GCA should offer an interesting golfing challenge to the golfer not a difficult golfing challenge." Jon Wiggett

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back