News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Lynn_Shackelford

Mike DeVries+Tasmania=King Island Links
« on: June 12, 2013, 04:47:58 PM »
I have just read that Mike DeVries has been announced as the designer of King Island Links in Tasmania.  I hope this is accurate, he has a good site and will be left alone on the design.  No doubt it will be equal to the others, if that is the case.
Congratulations.
It must be kept in mind that the elusive charm of the game suffers as soon as any successful method of standardization is allowed to creep in.  A golf course should never pretend to be, nor is intended to be, an infallible tribunal.
               Tom Simpson

Joel_Stewart

Re: Mike DeVries+Tasmania=King Island Links
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2013, 05:09:35 PM »
Congratulations.   I heard it was another architect but this is good news.  Wonder why they didn't use an Aussie?

I saw this on Wikipedia.

The island is noted for its production of cheese, lobsters, bottled rain water, kelp, and beef. It is a safe harbour for passing yachts and the site of the Huxley Hill Wind Farm operated by Hydro Tasmania.
The island has a football competition, The King Island Football Association with just three teams, Currie, Grassy and North, competes annually in the Stonehaven Cup boat races, the Imperial 20-foot race, Queen's Birthday Weekend Pheasant Season and many other activities.

Mark_F

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2013, 05:10:10 PM »
I have just read that Mike DeVries has been announced as the designer of King Island Links in Tasmania.  I hope this is accurate, he has a good site and will be left alone on the design.  No doubt it will be equal to the others, if that is the case.
Congratulations.

Who is Mike DeVries, and why should anyone in Australia care?

Tyler Kearns

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2013, 05:22:06 PM »
Congratulations.

Mark,

People is Australia should care because Mike builds fun golf courses, and we need more of that.  In case you are not familiar, check out the Kingsley Club in Michigan.

TK

Bill Seitz

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2013, 05:24:53 PM »

Here you go: http://bit.ly/1952GzW

Kingsley and Greywalls ring any bells?  Heck, you can find a 28 page thread on Kingsley sitting on the front page as I type this. 

Niall Hay

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2013, 05:25:31 PM »
Congratulations.

If this is confirmed it is great news and congrats to Mike!

Michael Wharton-Palmer

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2013, 05:29:52 PM »
I jutst emailed Mike to let him know about this thread, so we can expect either a confirmation or otherwise fairly soon.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2013, 06:00:14 PM »
I can confirm that Mike moved his family to Australia a couple of weeks ago to get started on the project.

Joel, there is more than one project on King Island (!) so that may be why you're confused.  In fact there might be three of them, I'm a bit confused myself.  I know that Graeme Grant is working on another [which is still seeking funding I believe].  I had heard another designer's name mentioned with King Island also, but I don't know if that was one of these two projects or a third.

Tim_Weiman

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2013, 06:16:36 PM »
Mark,

I believe Mike grew up playing Crystal Downs. Last time I was there I played with a gentleman from Australia. Will never forget it. After finishing our round this gentleman broke down in tears because he loved it so much and knew he would likely never again return.

Hope Mike can bring some of the Mackenzie influence to the project!
Tim Weiman

Bart Bradley

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2013, 06:35:44 PM »
Since Tom Doak confirmed this, I will say that I have photos and a routing from the site.  I'd love to post them...but only if Mike gives his approval.  I'll send him an email and we shall see.  Mike's work absolutely merits this opportunity.

Bart

Andrew Lewis

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2013, 06:42:11 PM »
Bart --

I have pic's and the routing as well -- incredible site with a ton of shoreline, great dunes and what was at one point the tallest lighthouse in the southern hemisphere.

Hopefully Mike will chime in with an "okay to post" and also feed us additional pic's as things progress!

Cheers, Andrew

David_Elvins

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2013, 07:12:37 PM »
It is a fascinating example of the power of the internet (and to a lesser extent Golfclubatlas) that an architect with a couple of well regarded courses in Michigan can score a job half a world away. 

Site looks "interesting" in all senses of the word.  Will be very interested to see how Mike has come up with a routing that accentuates the highlights whilst overcoming some of the disadvantages.

Tom,

Ross Perrett was originally working on this project, not sure if that was the other name you heard.  There is plenty of dunesland down there if anyone else wants to build a course, although it's not as cheap as it once was!
« Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 07:17:10 PM by David_Elvins »
Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

Daryl David

« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2013, 07:15:01 PM »
I can confirm that Mike moved his family to Australia a couple of weeks ago to get started on the project.

Joel, there is more than one project on King Island (!) so that may be why you're confused.  In fact there might be three of them, I'm a bit confused myself.  I know that Graeme Grant is working on another [which is still seeking funding I believe].  I had heard another designer's name mentioned with King Island also, but I don't know if that was one of these two projects or a third.

Possibly three courses on King Island?  Is that viable?  Where will the players come from?  Sounds like 2004 all over again.

Joe Hancock

« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2013, 07:19:54 PM »
Mike is having the time of his life!

He has been there several weeks with his family, as TD stated. Mike has indicated that the site is other-worldly.

I keep in touch with him often, so if he is OK with a routing or other on-site photo's being posted, I'll be happy to oblige.

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Tom_Doak

« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2013, 07:31:28 PM »
It is a fascinating example of the power of the internet (and to a lesser extent Golfclubatlas) that an architect with a couple of well regarded courses in Michigan can score a job half a world away.

David:

My guess is that this has little or nothing to do with the power of the internet (or Golf Club Atlas).  It just has to do with making the right contacts and then getting a good reference for an introduction.

Barnbougle didn't happen because of the internet ... it started because Greg Ramsay had read my book(s) and contacted me.  [Well, okay, the power of e-mail WAS an important factor.]  For that matter, many of Australia's best courses happened because the R & A referred Dr. MacKenzie to Royal Melbourne, and everything else snowballed from there.

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2013, 07:48:10 PM »
Great site, fantastic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

David_Elvins

« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2013, 07:49:14 PM »

David:

My guess is that this has little or nothing to do with the power of the internet (or Golf Club Atlas).  It just has to do with making the right contacts and then getting a good reference for an introduction.

Barnbougle didn't happen because of the internet ... it started because Greg Ramsay had read my book(s) and contacted me.  [Well, okay, the power of e-mail WAS an important factor.]  For that matter, many of Australia's best courses happened because the R & A referred Dr. MacKenzie to Royal Melbourne, and everything else snowballed from there.

Tom,

I don't see the comparison to you or MacKenzie as valid.  

With the greatest respect to Mike, I don't think he has anything like the profile that you or Alister MacKenzie had.  Darius Oliver is a very well travelled man but I don't think it is likely that he makes it to Kingsley Club if it wasn't so well regarded on here*.  Mike Devries hasn't written a book, hasn't had any courses achieve significant splash in rankings, and hasn't been appointed as architect to the R&A etc.  

*I could be wrong

« Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 07:57:09 PM by David_Elvins »
Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

Jackson C

« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2013, 09:03:48 PM »
Congratulations Mike!
You are a huge talent.  100% confident you will build a great course.
"The secrets that golf reveals to the game's best are secrets those players must discover for themselves."
Christy O'Connor, Sr. (1998)

Jud_T

« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2013, 09:41:05 PM »

Uh, among the top handful of architects working today, and among a VERY small group of really interesting up and comers once you get past the Big 3 Minimalists.

Congrats Mike, it's long overdue and looks like a fantastic site.  The Devries Cup will be lifted in your honor when the good guys bring it home yet again!
« Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 10:22:10 PM by Jud T »
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Brian Hilko

« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2013, 10:15:18 PM »
Greywalls and Kingsley are incredible designs. I make a trip to play both every year because I am such a big fan. If Mike keeps getting more oppurtunities his work will stand with the likes of the great modern architects. He has already built the best modern public and private in one of the best golf states. Hopefully this will be the start of many oppurtunities for Mike.
Down with the brown

Mark_F

« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2013, 11:21:25 PM »
Mark,

I believe Mike grew up playing Crystal Downs. Last time I was there I played with a gentleman from Australia. Will never forget it. After finishing our round this gentleman broke down in tears because he loved it so much and knew he would likely never again return.

Hope Mike can bring some of the Mackenzie influence to the project!

Thank you Tim, sounds like he has a fine pedigree.  He certainly has an extraordinary canvas with which to create something special.

Are you sure you played with an Australian at Crystal Downs?  The only Australian I can imagine breaking down in tears over a golf course is Matthew Mollica, who is undoubtedly responsible for the 2-3 feet rise in sea levels in Monterey after playing Cypress Point.

Mark,

People is Australia should care because Mike builds fun golf courses, and we need more of that.  In case you are not familiar, check out the Kingsley Club in Michigan.

We just need more good courses Tyler.  Imagine how  National Ocean would be if the developers had said to someone "Make it 6300 yards and good fun", instead of their instruction at the time to "Give us the biggest 7200 yard shithole you are capable of".

Uh, among the top handful of architects working today.

Really Jud?  Who decides such things?

I hope Mr DeVries is talented enough to pull this off.  Australia has had too many good sites wasted in the past 10-15 years, including Lost Farm.

With the greatest respect to Mike, I don't think he has anything like the profile that you or Alister MacKenzie had.  Darius Oliver is a very well travelled man but I don't think it is likely that he makes it to Kingsley Club if it wasn't so well regarded on here*.  Mike Devries hasn't written a book, hasn't had any courses achieve significant splash in rankings, and hasn't been appointed as architect to the R&A etc. 

David, Jud Tigerman thinks he is one of the five best architects in the business.  Clearly the internet had nothing to do with it.

I gather Doak didn't get the chance because he insisted on being paid up front in gold bullion.

Jud_T

« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2013, 11:35:40 PM »
Mark,

Spare us the Xenophobia.  Would you rather have a local architect or the best guy for the job?  Why not reserve judgement until you see the finished product?  I'm willing to wager that you'll like it.  That is if you can get beyond your apparent nationalistic bias.
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Tim_Weiman

« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2013, 11:43:01 PM »
David Elvins,

Not sure you are 100% correct about the power of the Internet and (GolfClubAtlas) in regard to Mike DeVries' commission in Tasmania, though I can't say you are 100% wrong either.

Believe it or not, there was a world before the Internet and GolfClubAtlas. There were also golf architecture junkies before the Internet came into main stream existence and web sites like GCA (or it's predecessor) emerged.

There was a world of books and libraries. My first golf architecture book was published in 1966 and it was Sports Illustrated's 18 Best Golf Holes in America that set me on a life long journey to see the world's best golf courses.

Libraries also had a big influence: it was at the old Ralph Miller Library at Industry Hills in Los Angeles that none other than Tommy Naccarato used to hang out and learn about golf architecture with the help of some wonderful old gals who knew the Miller collection like the back of their hand.

It was also in the Los Angeles area, Long Beach actually, that I first learned about a guy named Tom Doak. It  was probably 1993 when I stumbled upon his "Anatomy" book in a little book store in the Belmont Shore Beach community of Long Beach. Soon thereafter, I would hear Tom's name while visiting Long Island, NY to play Shinnecock. This occurred when I met Bobby Raynum, the superintendent of the Atlantic Golf Club who talked about Tom and his private version of The Confidential Guide.

Around the same time, I visited a golf course very few people ever heard of: Crystal Downs. Believe it or not, twenty years ago it wasn't any better known than Kingsley is today.

A few years later I did meet Tom at a Traditionalgolf.com get together that included a round at CD. So, at that point, I guess you could say the Internet began to have an influence, but that was also before Tom achieved the fame that came from Pacific Downs. But, the foundation of my interest in Tom's career certainly proceeded the Internet.

It was also on the trip - if memory serves me - I met Mike DeVries. Mike had really not achieved any fame, even among hard core golf architecture junkies, but it was over dinner and a discussion about Crystal Downs that you could sense the passion that led to Kingsley. It certainly wasn't the Internet.

Now, I wasn't from Australia, but if I was I'm sure Mike's passion for golf architecture would have also impressed me.

One final point. My greatest love in golf and golf architecture came long before I even heard of the Internet and it wasn't on the same continent I grew up on. I originally made the journey to Ballybunion 25 years ago because of books not anything electronic. Honestly, I kind of miss those days and the opportunity they presented to form more genuine, life long friendships.

Sorry for the ramble!
Tim Weiman

Tim_Weiman

« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2013, 11:51:36 PM »
Mark Ferguson,

I am quite sure it was an Australian, a doctor from Sydney who seemed quite well traveled.

We played a very enjoyable round with his wife who just walked along with us and it was such a pleasant time I would remember it even if what happened after didn't happen. But, I don't recall anyone ever being so moved as this man was by the experience of playing a great golf course, though I will confess to my own tears on several occasions leaving Ballybunion.

That is what makes golf architecture special. To see the world's best, you have to travel and with that can come some wonderful memories.

Tim Weiman

Bill Seitz

« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2013, 12:11:32 AM »
Mark, any time you want to make what I'm sure would be a very long trek to Michigan for some very fine golf, I'm sure there is no shortage of GCAers, myself included, that would be thrilled at the opportunity to host you at Kingsley to see Mike's work for yourself.  Personally, I never thought I'd join a private club until I visited Kingsley.  And while the phenomenal staff and the membership were a big part of that decision, it's the golf course that's the star.  
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 12:28:02 AM by Bill Seitz »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back