News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tim_Weiman

Re: While We're Young!
« Reply #50 on: June 14, 2013, 01:01:10 AM »
Jason:

Actually, you are not correct. It has been quite a few years - maybe back in the TraditionalGolf.com days - that I played in a fivesome at Mid Pines that played in 2:40.

That came after playing Pine Needles, if I recall correctly, and we all walked.

Not a big fish story. It's the real deal.
Tim Weiman

Anthony Butler

« Reply #51 on: June 14, 2013, 09:18:20 AM »
From an advertising standpoint, some of the worst on-camera performances and editing I've seen short of an ad for a local car dealer. Annika Sorenstam's performance is literally painful to watch. Butch Harmon and Paula Creamer makes Butch and Natalie Gulbis' Winn Grips campaign look like a Cannes Gold winner.

Did they let Mike Davis' kid direct these spots?
Next!

BHoover

« Reply #52 on: June 14, 2013, 09:44:53 AM »
Anthony: you're absolutely right.  The commericals are horrible.  And, as an additional matter, they're sending a terrible message - I can't wait to see people at muni's all over the country yelling "while we're young" at the group in front of them.  Yeah, that's for the good of the game...

Jesus, does no one on this site have any sense of humor?

Mac Plumart

« Reply #53 on: June 14, 2013, 09:57:43 AM »
does no one on this site have any sense of humor?

+1,000,000
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

BHoover

« Reply #54 on: June 14, 2013, 10:08:18 AM »
It's not a question of the people on this site having a sense of humor.  After all, I put up with Mucci, don't I? ;)

It's that idiots out there in the real world are going to start yelling "while we're young!" at the groups in front of them, and they're going to think they have USGA approval to do so.

And just when "you da man!" was finally starting to die the death it properly deserved, no less....

I don't know whether or how many people are going to yell "while we're young!" at other groups in front of them.  Not sure I would do that to a group of big boys playing in the group in front of me.  If someone ever yells "while we're young!" at me, he or she will receive a Shooter McGavin response "damn you people, go back to your shanties!"  But hopefully, and I think this is the point of the campaign, these commercials get people thinking about picking up the pace. 

If anything, they don't go far enough.  Why no commercials to get people to replace divots and fix ball marks?  How about proper use of golf carts and how to correctly remove the flagstick and place it on the green or fringe?

Richard Choi

« Reply #55 on: June 14, 2013, 10:41:27 AM »
It is not humorous because it is sad.

Any organization that is hosting a tournament where they are pushing 6 hour per round has very big balls to tell others to hurry their rounds.

Jason Thurman

« Reply #56 on: June 14, 2013, 10:57:40 AM »
Jason:

Actually, you are not correct. It has been quite a few years - maybe back in the TraditionalGolf.com days - that I played in a fivesome at Mid Pines that played in 2:40.

That came after playing Pine Needles, if I recall correctly, and we all walked.

Not a big fish story. It's the real deal.

Yep, and bogey golfers probably actually hit a 300 yard drive every few years too when it's downwind and they get a friendly cartpath bounce. A few of them can even do it regularly. But overall, you'd win a lot of money if you bet $5 that everyone who tells you they hit a ball 300 yards on hole X was wrong, and you'd also win a lot of money if you bet the same $5 against everyone on this site who claims they just played in 2:45.

Keep tabs at the next GCA event with four or more foursomes playing that you attend. I'd gladly bet that the final group doesn’t finish in under four hours, though it’s likely that they all claim to regularly play in under three. Make no mistake - I’ve had a blast at every GCA event I’ve attended. But the pace of play sure as hell isn’t fast.

On a slightly different note, I hope we get 150 responders to this thread whining about pace of play at Merion. It would be great to see them grouped into threesomes, sent off in two waves from the 1st and 11th tees with 9 inch rough and greens stimping at 13, and have them play by the official USGA rules. I have a feeling that few would get around in under 100 and fewer would get around in under 5 1/2 hours. Complaining about the pace of play for pros trying to win the toughest major tournament of the year is pretty self-righteous.
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

Richard Choi

« Reply #57 on: June 14, 2013, 11:07:14 AM »
On a slightly different note, I hope we get 150 responders to this thread whining about pace of play at Merion. It would be great to see them grouped into threesomes, sent off in two waves from the 1st and 11th tees with 9 inch rough and greens stimping at 13, and have them play by the official USGA rules. I have a feeling that few would get around in under 100 and fewer would get around in under 5 1/2 hours. Complaining about the pace of play for pros trying to win the toughest major tournament of the year is pretty self-righteous.

Jason, two thoughts.

First, I will gladly take that challenge. I am confident I can finish in 4 hours if my partners were so willing. I may not shoot under 100, but I probably cannot do that taking over 5 hours either.

Second, if USGA believes playing fast is important, perhaps their showcase event should not be set up to invite 5 1/2 hour rounds. It is the height of hypocrisy.

Jason Thurman

« Reply #58 on: June 14, 2013, 11:25:37 AM »
Richard, I have no doubt you can do so in what would be a threesome in a vacuum. The problem is when you throw another 25 groups on the course with you.

The first group cruises along until they hit a ball into a grandstand and need a ruling, or hit a ball into the rough that they have trouble finding. That two minute delay holds every other group on the course up, and then subsequent groups have the same innocuous issues that hold everyone behind them ujp. By the time the final group comes in, it's almost impossible for them to finish under 5 hours. That's why complaining about slow play in the US Open is ridiculous. The course is jammed with guys grinding through the toughest tournament of the year. A single poorly thought out shot could cost them hundreds of thousands of dollars. They can't play through the guys in front of them, and holdups are inevitable. Even for fast players, the only thing they can do is play at a pace appropriate for the day so that they don't get too out of rhythm.
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

Richard Choi

« Reply #59 on: June 14, 2013, 11:36:31 AM »
Then start handing out penalties for falling behind. Once you start doing that, all those waiting around will disappear.

I will start believing USGA cares about pace of play when they start handing out penalties. I am watching the marquee group video. They are one of the earliest tee times this morning and they are WAITING ON EVERY FRIGGIN SHOT!!! This is not rocket science.

Jason Thurman

« Reply #60 on: June 14, 2013, 11:53:21 AM »
Who should receive a penalty today?

Richard Choi

« Reply #61 on: June 14, 2013, 12:16:07 PM »
Anyone who is breaking this rule:

The first group(s) to start will be considered out of position if, at any time during the round, the group is behind the prescribed schedule as detailed on the attached Pace of Play Time Chart.

Any following group will be considered out of position if it (a) is taking more than the allotted time to play and (b) reaches the teeing ground of a par-3 hole and the preceding group has cleared the next tee; reaches the teeing ground of a par-4 hole and the putting green is clear; or reaches the teeing ground of a par-5 hole when the preceding group is on the putting green. Both (a) and (b) must apply for a group to be out of position.

If you believe that 5 1/2 hour rounds happen without the above rule being broken, I would like to sell you a rather large bridge in you area.

And why is it that every other rule is black and white and USGA has no qualm about DQ'ing a player for signing a wrong scorecard by mistake but it is fifty shades of gray when it comes to pace of play rules?
« Last Edit: June 14, 2013, 12:35:16 PM by Richard Choi »

Jason Thurman

« Reply #62 on: June 14, 2013, 12:40:36 PM »
Let's imagine Group A is playing the 12th, and in the proper position as defined by the pace of play policy. One of their players hits a tee shot in the rough, and it takes three minutes to find it. He pitches out and scrambles to make bogey.

During the delay, Group B is in front. They play the short 13th quickly. Group A reaches the tee right as Group B walks off the 14th tee.

Do you really think Group A deserves a penalty? The pace of play policy says they don't. They should maybe receive a warning and be notified that they are being timed. They also, in all likelihood, will play the 13th fairly quickly and get back on schedule. However, their holdup on the 12th affected the group behind them, who had to wait a few minutes, which caused the next group to wait a bit, and the next, and the next.

It's like when a car in front of you on the highway at rush hour slows down, so you tap your brakes. The guy behind you taps his a bit harder, and the next guy a bit harder, and the next. The car in front of you doesn't slow down enough to get noticeably "out of position," and you all pretty quickly get back to being bumper-to-bumper with each other. But as the result of a chain reaction, the last guy in the line a few miles behind you ends up with a really long trip. It's how those batches of slow traffic with no triggering accident at the front of them get started.

Can anyone actually point out a group or player today who is breaking the USGA pace of play policy after being monitored and timed and deserves to be penalized? If not, does the policy need to be rewritten? And how would you write it to make it more effective at addressing slow play without wrecking the integrity of the competition?

Richard Choi

« Reply #63 on: June 14, 2013, 01:00:36 PM »
Show me the video of every group. I will show you who should be penalized.

And I highly doubt that anyone has been even warned. There are other tournaments, including the recent NCAA Championship where the rules were enforced. Only thing lacking is the will of USGA.

Anthony Butler

« Reply #64 on: June 14, 2013, 01:47:16 PM »
Anthony: you're absolutely right.  The commericals are horrible.  And, as an additional matter, they're sending a terrible message - I can't wait to see people at muni's all over the country yelling "while we're young" at the group in front of them.  Yeah, that's for the good of the game...

Jesus, does no one on this site have any sense of humor?
Yes..  Most people here have a sense of humor... Which was offended by the lameness of these commercials. I could take the concept of "while we're young" and my iPhone over to the local country club and come back with something better than this by 5pm... and I'm no Ridley Scott.

For starters the thing that made it funny in Caddyshack is watching Ted Knight screw around on the tee intercut with shots of Rodney Dangerfield looking increasingly agitated. Why not simply follow that formula instead the incredibly awkward 'practice' the ladies have to put in before speaking up (yet another sign of dopey white male involvement in the whole sad enterprise). The Tiger Woods  spot would have been infinitely improved simply by having Tiger interact with Joe La Cava giving the idea that he was playing a tournament then having the kid yell out from off camera "while we're young" then a pull back to reveal they were on a putt putt course. Which makes the joke work better and pushes the point that many average players take tour-like preparation over shots that simply don't warrant it. Of course that would have required Tiger and the kids being on the same set at the same time, which I highly doubt happened (definitely a body double doing the putting).

If you ever see acknowledged comic geniuses like Larry David, Mel Brooks or the like interviewed, you see that the concept is but a part of the joke... Execution is paramount.
Next!

BHoover

« Reply #65 on: June 14, 2013, 01:51:04 PM »
For starters the thing that made it funny in Caddyshack is watching Ted Knight screw around on the tee intercut with shots of Rodney If you ever see acknowledged comic geniuses like Larry David, Mel Brooks or the like interviewed, you see that the concept is but a part of the joke... Execution is paramount.

I never claimed these commercials are the second coming of Blazing Saddles.

Matthew Rose

« Reply #66 on: June 14, 2013, 01:52:44 PM »
Agreed. I think these ads are being criticized more for their execution than their content.

I would have rather they try to recreate the Caddyshack scene better.

How about Arnie walking up to Clint Eastwood and saying "Hey Whitey, where's your hat?"
American-Australian. Trackman Course Guy. Fatalistic sports fan. Drummer. Bass player. Father. Cat lover.

BHoover

« Reply #67 on: June 14, 2013, 01:55:36 PM »
Agreed. I think these ads are being criticized more for their execution than their content.

I would have rather they try to recreate the Caddyshack scene better.

How about Arnie walking up to Clint Eastwood and saying "Hey Whitey, where's your hat?"

Now THAT would have been funny.

Anthony Butler

« Reply #68 on: June 14, 2013, 02:06:51 PM »
I never claimed these commercials are the second coming of Blazing Saddles.

Brian, that is the leader in the clubhouse for Understatement of the Year.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2013, 03:41:49 AM by Anthony Butler »
Next!

Jim Hoak

« Reply #69 on: June 14, 2013, 02:07:49 PM »
I think many of you are being too cynical.  I think the ads are funny, and that starts conversations.  Everyone thinks they are a marketing person.  But give them credit, they are trying.

Anthony Butler

« Reply #70 on: June 14, 2013, 02:16:47 PM »
I think many of you are being too cynical.  I think the ads are funny, and that starts conversations.  Everyone thinks they are a marketing person.  But give them credit, they are trying.
Jim-Some of us are marketing people... If you ever attended a creative meeting and someone said they did not like your idea, the absolute worst thing you could say is "But I tried really hard!"

People have been fired for less.
Next!

BHoover

« Reply #71 on: June 14, 2013, 02:23:08 PM »
The Arnold Palmer - Clint Eastwood version isn't that bad.  I think Annika's version is so bad that it's funny.

Anthony Butler

« Reply #72 on: June 14, 2013, 02:26:01 PM »
The Arnold Palmer - Clint Eastwood version isn't that bad.  I think Annika's version is so bad that it's funny.

I do appreciate that someone finally interrupted Clint while he was having a conversation with an imaginary person...
Next!

Tony Ristola

« Reply #73 on: June 14, 2013, 03:48:45 PM »
Perhaps we should start a petition that would assist the USGA with their campaign (if they're half serious): Before we die... Roll the ball back.

PCCraig

« Reply #74 on: June 14, 2013, 04:01:22 PM »
I actually don't think the commercials are half bad. If it increases awareness of fast play I'm all for it. If I was forced to play 5 hours rounds, I'd quit the game....so I can understand the USGA's reasoning behind speeding up the game...time, especially recreational, is scarce and long rounds keep people from the game.
H.P.S.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back