News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Phil McDade

The U.S. Open finally comes to Augusta National
« on: June 14, 2013, 10:15:32 AM »
Augusta National and Merion East at first glance would seem to have little in common, as pieces of golf architecture.

But check out the course stats from the first round of the U.S. Open: http://www.usopen.com/en_US/scoring/cstats.html

One of Augusta's great attributes is what I'd call the ying and yang of the course -- tough holes followed by birdie opportunities, followed by more tough holes. It was best described and discussed here on GCA in this thread initiated by Tom Doak:

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,47931.0.html

Merion East seems to exemplify a similar kind of routing genius: A relatively benign start, followed by four very hard holes (3-6), then a stretch where players take on 7 of the 9 easiest holes on the course, followed by a brutal finish, with five of the eight hardest holes (and a 17/18 finisher currently playing more than a full stroke over par combined).

Will the U.S. Open at Merion East be similar to the Masters, in which determining the "leaders" of the tournament may be a bit misleading, depending on their position on the course?

BHoover

Re: The U.S. Open finally comes to Augusta National
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2013, 10:30:28 PM »
Zach Johnson, who is going to miss the cut, apparently doesn't like the setup at Merion.

He is quoted as saying about the USGA's setup at Merion:

“It just enhances my disdain for the USGA and how it manipulates golf courses."

I find it odd that he thinks the USGA manipulates golf courses, but what about ANGC? The best part about the Open, to me, is hearing pampered pros bitch. They don't like being embarrassed, so they call out the USGA and the way the course is set up. If they don't like it, no one is forcing them to play.

BHoover

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2013, 10:35:50 PM »
Hearing the pros complain makes me really excited for the Open to move to Chambers Bay and Erin Hills. I also hope that Shinnecock and Oakmont turn into nightmares.

jeffwarne

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2013, 11:01:20 AM »
Zach Johnson, who is going to miss the cut, apparently doesn't like the setup at Merion.

He is quoted as saying about the USGA's setup at Merion:

“It just enhances my disdain for the USGA and how it manipulates golf courses."

I find it odd that he thinks the USGA manipulates golf courses, but what about ANGC? The best part about the Open, to me, is hearing pampered pros bitch. They don't like being embarrassed, so they call out the USGA and the way the course is set up. If they don't like it, no one is forcing them to play.

How exactly does ANGC "manipulate" the golf course?
in comparison to Merion.

Kudos to Johnson for telling it like it is.
No chance of a ball rollback now because Merion "stood up"
2 foot rough has nothing to do with 400 yard drives, especially when you can simply hit a 250 yard 4 iron.
Now if we can just get rid of those funny looking putters.
Heads in the sand, but they've successfully hoodwinked John Q public too

Shinnecock could host the Open next week, and Merion could've hosted it without ANY adjustments.
and somebody would still win
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Jeff Goldman

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2013, 11:13:08 AM »
Jeff

Not sure the USGA agrees with you on Shinnecock. I think Golfweek said that they are adding more than 400 yards.

Jeff
That was one hellacious beaver.

jeffwarne

Re: The U.S. Open finally comes to Augusta National New
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2013, 12:59:22 PM »
Jeff

Not sure the USGA agrees with you on Shinnecock. I think Golfweek said that they are adding more than 400 yards.

Jeff

Of course they don't agree with me-That's why they bastardized it in 2004, and bastardized Merion.
Of course since they refuse to do something about the ball/COR adding LENGTH at least (semi)addresses the issue at hand.
Reducing fairways to ribbons rendering designed hazards mute with choking rough simply allows/forces players to hit irons off tees.
 "which iron should I hit off this par 4 to that ribbon?" is not really an interesting option.

Nothing new as this is The US Open, I just wish they'd stop talking about "architecture" and accept they have made themselves (via the setup) the stars of the show.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2013, 01:09:33 PM by jeffwarne »
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back