News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bob_Huntley

Re: Damn you J.K. Wadley
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2013, 03:07:48 PM »

I woul be reluctant to pony up a bet against Brent's numbers, they seem pretty conclusive to me.

Bob

Garland Bayley

« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2013, 08:34:20 PM »
Golf carts help grow the game ...

So how come there were periods of growth in the game before carts that far outstripped growth after carts. There are lots of people that wouldn't even consider golf because of the predominance of carts.

My slogan says

Golf carts kill the game.

See, I can sloganize as well as you.  :P
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Tim_Cronin

« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2013, 10:20:30 PM »
Wadley was also an early sponsor and fan of one J. Byron Nelson, and beginning before that, a director of the Western Golf Association, and donor of the trophy bearing his name that signifies the winner of the Western Open / BMW Championship. He donated it twice. The first one was stolen soon after it arrived c. 1923. Lord Byron won the Western, and hoisted the trophy donated by his friend, in 1939.
The website: www.illinoisgolfer.net
On Twitter: @illinoisgolfer

M. Shea Sweeney

« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2013, 07:51:30 AM »

So how come there were periods of growth in the game before carts that far outstripped growth after carts. There are lots of people that wouldn't even consider golf because of the predominance of carts.

GJBAILEY-

Is it your position that golf carts do not help grow the game?

MS

M. Shea Sweeney

« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2013, 07:58:55 AM »

[/quote]

Interesting points you make, but I believe some of this is debatable.  I believe golf is "grown" by introducing the game to children...which has nothing to do with golf carts.  You and I agree that we think golf is best when played while walking.  If the health benefits of walking result in golfers living longer, your last point becomes iffy for me.  Walking while we play keep golfers alive...wouldn't that be better for the game?

TS
[/quote]

I agree the best way to improve the future of golf is by getting junior golfers interested in golf the right way.

It is stupid to not grow the game in other demographics. ie people who like to ride

I agree that walking helps people live longer. I agree that walking and playing golf helps people live longer.

I also believe that playing golf helps people live longer, and a golf cart can aid that person in doing so.

This is a big game--so big that it can sustain a huge business world wide. Part of the sustainability comes from the fact that golf is played in many different forms.

You and I are on this forum because we enjoy golf in a certain form. I would bet you and I enjoy golf in a similar way.

However our form of golf is not for everyone....
« Last Edit: June 15, 2013, 08:02:39 AM by M. Shea Sweeney »

Garland Bayley

« Reply #30 on: June 16, 2013, 01:57:30 AM »

GJBAILEY-

MS

Yep! Do you think the generation that brought us the X games are remotely interested in a game where you drive cushy carts on lawns?
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Tim Leahy

« Reply #31 on: June 16, 2013, 02:24:28 AM »
Golf carts are not to blame for slow play, greedy course owners are. If they hired marshalls to police the pace of play and didn't pack the t-times so close together we could all get along.
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

M. Shea Sweeney

« Reply #32 on: June 16, 2013, 08:50:23 AM »

GJBAILEY-

MS

Yep! Do you think the generation that brought us the X games are remotely interested in a game where you drive cushy carts on lawns?

What generation are you talking about that brought us the X-Games? (Birth dates, etc)

So someone with bad knees who has played tennis for 35 years can no longer play and decides to take up golf. They choose golf because they can ride in a cart and take the pressure off the knees.

Just to be on the same page---you think in this case the golf cart is not helping to grow the game?

Thanks,

Garland Bayley

« Reply #33 on: June 16, 2013, 09:46:27 AM »

GJBAILEY-

MS

What generation are you talking about that brought us the X-Games? (Birth dates, etc)

So someone with bad knees who has played tennis for 35 years can no longer play and decides to take up golf. They choose golf because they can ride in a cart and take the pressure off the knees.

Just to be on the same page---you think in this case the golf cart is not helping to grow the game?

Thanks,

You don't grow the game with old people. That's called stagnation.

I'm talking about the generation that was born in the 80s.

Randy Thompson

« Reply #34 on: June 16, 2013, 11:17:29 AM »
Its funny Kelly started a thread about a week or ten days ago on walking and the general theme of the thread was so positive I felt it was inappropriate to call him on these numbers. But now seems to be a better moment. I will start by sharing what my doctor recently said to me. The internet has some excellent correct information, it also has some iffy information and it also has some BS information. So be careful when you investigate ANYTHING, especially medical because you donīt have the expertise to categorize what is the BS and what is valid! The topography of the course, the speed you walk, overall distances, weight of your clubs and so many factors come into play in the final number of calories you burn that any conclusion in total calorie count will be a generalization and man you can get rimmed on this site using any kind of generalization. I am no expert or doctor BUT, I do run 8k minimum four times a week and it takes me an hour’s and the jogging machine says I burn 600 calories. My shirt is soaked following the run and I lose three to four pounds during this hour most attributed to water weight, I imagine. So if I were to run for four hours, for a total of 32k, I would burn 2400 calories. Compared to walking eighteen holes 8k and burrning 1500 calories???? Sorry but you would have a better chance of selling me, 2 plus 2 equals five!

Randy Thompson

« Reply #35 on: June 16, 2013, 11:32:12 AM »
Randy,

I don't think estimating calories is a bad thing even if there are many variables and it is only an estimate. It is not like having to count carbs every time you put something in your mouth because you have type 1 diabetes...that is a little more critical.

Agreed and like so many have stated, who cares,,,Walking while playing golf produces a boat load of positve health effects and nobody can argue with that. Happy fatherīs day my friend!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back