News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Matthew Petersen

Re: Us Open at Merion, what to expect?
« Reply #150 on: June 14, 2013, 02:47:32 PM »
What's the over/under on Lefty's round this afternoon?  73?

Love Phil, but I'd go over. 73 would be respectable given everything we've seen this morning.

Jason Thurman

« Reply #151 on: June 14, 2013, 02:56:52 PM »
Jud, that line sounds about right to me. Maybe 72.5. Vegas could stand to make a killing on that one.
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

Andy Hughes

« Reply #152 on: June 14, 2013, 03:16:51 PM »
Having people stand four deep on top of an out bounds Line seems like an idiot move to me... Adam Scott just ricocheted one off someone's shins that ended up a yard OB on 15.

Anthony, are you suggesting he would have been in bounds if not for the spectator, or something else?
"Perhaps I'm incorrect..."--P. Mucci 6/7/2007

mike_malone

« Reply #153 on: June 14, 2013, 03:52:45 PM »
Joe "it's a par 3 course" Ogilvy just came through 7 on his back 9 of his second round at 11 over
AKA Mayday

Phil McDade

« Reply #154 on: June 14, 2013, 05:06:43 PM »
Given the current playing conditions, and general toughness of the course, did Billy Horschel just shoot one of the best rounds (say, top 10)in US Open history? He shot 67, hit all 18 greens, and has the best round of the day so far by three strokes.

I'll concede Miller's 63 at Oakmont, Jack and Weiskopf's  63s at Baltusrol, and.....

It may have been better than Graham's 67 in the last round at Merion in 1981.

Ben Sims

« Reply #155 on: June 14, 2013, 06:05:06 PM »
Given the current playing conditions, and general toughness of the course, did Billy Horschel just shoot one of the best rounds (say, top 10)in US Open history? He shot 67, hit all 18 greens, and has the best round of the day so far by three strokes.

I'll concede Miller's 63 at Oakmont, Jack and Weiskopf's  63s at Baltusrol, and.....

It may have been better than Graham's 67 in the last round at Merion in 1981.

Certainly one of the most impressive ball striking rounds in modern memory.  34 non-putts, 18 GIR's.  But 33 putts really isn't all that impressive from a statistical perspective. But a damn impressive round to be sure. He's two holed putts--out of many close ones--away from the 36-hole lead. Actually, I wouldn't bet against him being the leader come 8pm

Jud_T

« Reply #156 on: June 14, 2013, 06:18:49 PM »
Ben,

He said he was happy with 20-25 feet all day and figured he'd drop a couple so 33 putts on those greens given 18 in reg. isn't so bad.  Looks like his strategy is paying off nicely.
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #157 on: June 14, 2013, 08:52:55 PM »
Mark - how do you think Merion is muzzling players?

Not Merion but Merion's aura. I think they realize they would sound stupid criticizing a course that's stood the test of time and the logistics necessary to get them back there.
Charlotte. Daniel. Olivia. Josephine. Ana. Dylan. Madeleine. Catherine. Chase. Jesse. James. Grace. Emilie. Jack. Noah. Caroline. Jessica. Benjamin. Avielle. Allison.

BHoover

« Reply #158 on: June 14, 2013, 10:16:58 PM »
I know that Merion's flagsticks are metal. Does anyone know what the wicker baskets are made of? Are they metal too?

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #159 on: June 14, 2013, 10:19:17 PM »
I know that Merion's flagsticks are metal. Does anyone know what the wicker baskets are made of? Are they metal too?

As the name implies, they are made of wicker:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wicker

The are woven by the Merion staff.....

Charlie Gallagher

« Reply #160 on: June 15, 2013, 09:10:09 AM »
   Well, well, I am ready to admit that I overvalued the short length of Merion and undervalued the difficulty of solving its greens for the best on the planet.
     It's fun to see touring professionals have as much difficulty with the course as I have had at times. It is giving up the bogeys I thought it would, but fewer pars and birdies than I expected. The finish of round two and the final 36 plus any additional that might need to be played is going to be compeling to watch. I expect everyone is having as much fun as I am watching this unfold.
Love hearing from the GCAers along Ardmore Ave.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back