News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Malcolm Mckinnon

Great news!

Our fellow GCA member Tom Doak has been hired to rebuild all the bunkers at Hollywood Golf Club in Deal, NJ. He is also going to be adding another 20+ bunkers to the current mix according to my source on the greens committee. Hollywood is a gem of a renovation by the esteemed Walter Travis.

Hollywood is scheduled to hold the 2014 USGA Women's Senior Amateur and if my source is correct could hold the USGA Men's Amateur in the near future.

I you have never been to Hollywood these are among the best set of greens in NJ.

Some photos from todays round on the famous holes...

3rd green with 4th in the background...

IMG_0388 by macmalc, on Flickr

The wonderful 4th which screams Lahinch!

IMG_0365 by macmalc, on Flickr

The former Heinz 57 hole 12th (bottle)

IMG_0371 by macmalc, on Flickr

Bottle 12th approach

IMG_0375 by macmalc, on Flickr

16th view with the famous volcano bunker...

IMG_0380 by macmalc, on Flickr

More Volcano...

IMG_0384 by macmalc, on Flickr

18th view...

IMG_0394 by macmalc, on Flickr

« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 12:40:54 AM by Malcolm Mckinnon »

Tom_Doak

Malcolm:

Brian Schneider and crew are going to rebuild the bunkers, I'm just collaborating on where to put them.  If I had to rebuild all those bunkers myself, I could retire there!  :)

P.S.  News to me if they are seriously in the running to host the U.S. Amateur.  It seems pretty short for that.

Sam Morrow

Would Hollywood be the main course or the secondary course for the Amateur?

Wade Whitehead

How many bunkers are there on the 12th hole?

WW

Malcolm Mckinnon

Perhaps the US Amateur was more more aspirational than fact. However, I'm usually a pretty good listener and swear that is what was said.

the 12th bunkering is down from 57 to somewhere in the 20's.

Mark McKeever

Do they plan on restoring 57?  That would be sick!

Mark
Best MGA showers - Bayonne

"Dude, he's a total d***"

Patrick_Mucci

Malcolm,

I've never heard anyone refer to the 12th hole as a "Bottle" hole, how did you come about applying that label ?

Hollywood is spectacular as it is, and will be even better if bunkers that were removed are reintroduced.

One can only that the members, upon seeing the improvement, expand the project.

Steve Lapper

As one of the people intimately involved in facilitating this project at HGC, let me add a few things.

1) Tom's team, led by Brian, are going to be doing an extensive job re-working nearly every bunker on the course. The final # of bunkers to-be-added hasn't yet been finalized. They will also assist the club in updating and re-working its Master plan. Clearly, the course is finally in some very solid hands.

2) Hollywood GC has had a proud history of amateur competition and has hosted the US Women's AM in its past. That is but one of the proposed future events they'd like to see return there. The US Men's AM is not feasible for the property. Tom Doak is spot on on his observation that it's probably too short for today's bombers.

3) The 12th isn't a "bottle" hole. Though he may well have been influenced by some of the templates, Travis didn't name or refer to the hole as such.

4) The present leadership of the club has done an excellent job of making long-term commitments to the re-vitalization and preservation of their wonderful club. They are a study in how to deftly navigate a strong-willed membership that doesn't lack for diverse opinions.

5) Lastly, the club has done an equally good job of reserving and maintaining an exhaustive photographic history. They have smartly made and kept aerials and ground-level pix from decades ago.

Hollywood is clearly one of NJ's certain gems. They've wisely focused on insuring that the course remains the primary focus. Their future will only look brighter going forward.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2013, 01:25:21 PM by Steve Lapper »
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

Bill Crane

Malcolm:

Glad you could join us, it really was an excellent day.   Sunburn could be considered the only issue.

Great layout, and just fantastic green systems.  I was talking to my caddie Ben and commented that golfers not accustomed to these old greens with loads of movement, swales, trenches etc could end up putting off greens, and end up with 4 and 5 putts.  He said the few outings they hold can get really slow.

Great club as well, everyone we met were friendly and pleasant and the members seemed pleased to share this gem of a course.

I feel fortunate to have snuck away with a win in my Outpost Club match.   Our host was suprer as well, completely cordial.

Thanks for posting the photos - you are truly an opportunistic guy.

Wm Flynnfan

David_Tepper

I spent 4 summers working for the tennis pro at Hollywood (almost 50 years ago! ;)). Sadly, I never got to see much of the golf course.

I am looking forward to seeing the "after" pictures when the work has been completed.

Malcolm Mckinnon

Pat,

As we stood on the tee looking out on the 12th, "bottle" popped into my head as I contemplated what strategy to employ so it is my own original  conceptualization of the hole. I might be somewhat incorrect in my interpretation but I don't want to get into a pissing match with you over it.

By the way, it looks like Chris Christie and Bruce Springsteen have patched things up. I live next door to the Governors Mansion here in Princeton and just enjoyed a free concert right over the fence from the Boss and the E Street Band.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 11:53:18 PM by Malcolm Mckinnon »

Mark Provenzano

By the way, it looks like Chris Christie and Bruce Springsteen have patched things up. I live next door to the Governors Mansion here in Princeton and just enjoyed a free concert right over the fence from the Boss and the E Street Band.

Seriously?

Ross Tuddenham

Quote from: Steve Lapper
The final # of bunkers to-be-added hasn't yet been finalized

Did Mackenzie not say something once along the lines of "some holes would be equally interesting if half the bunkers were turfed over"?

With that in mind, does the course need additional bunkers?

Mike Sweeney

Did Mackenzie not say something once along the lines of "some holes would be equally interesting if half the bunkers were turfed over"?

At Hollywood, the numbers of bunkers is not the question. Placement of the bunkers, specifically the old centerline bunkers from the men's clubhouse aerial, is the big question. In addition, how much will they embrace the "waste area" nature of that aerial?

Reality is, it is a family club today and the challenge for Doak will be striking the right balance between the original course/aerial and the existing membership.

Please, no US Amateur at Hollywood.

Patrick_Mucci

YES

Ross Tuddenham

YES

Maybe I should have asked if the total number of bunkers needs to increase?  So fewer bunkers with any new ones more ideally placed.

From the photos above it looks like an excessive amount of bunkering.

Bill Crane

I must comment that on Sunday I had the least accurate driving round of the year and only ended up in one fairway bunker on a par five.

The greenside bunkers are really in play, and as at most good courses shortsiding yourself pretty much took par out of the question.

Seize every opportunity to play this gem.

Wm Flynnfan

Patrick_Mucci

Maybe I should have asked if the total number of bunkers needs to increase? 

There is no finite number, that's more of a hole by hole determination.

So fewer bunkers with any new ones more ideally placed.

Having played Hollywood for decades, there aren't many, if any, poorly placed bunkers.

From the photos above it looks like an excessive amount of bunkering.

That's why you can't depend upon photos as the sole basis for your analysis of a hole/course.

[/quote]

Stuart Goldstein

Several years ago I played in the NJ State AM at Hollywood.  Today's kids would turn it into a pitch and putt course.

Malcolm Mckinnon

Seriously indeed!

Springsteen and Christie are now buddies post Sandy the hurricane/superstorm. I live in a unique position to spy on the gubernatorial fundraisers. John Corzine was the last free Springsteen fundraising concert I attended while sitting on my deck next door before he went down in flames.

Springsteen was an outspoken Christie opponent despite the governors love of his musical work. Now.it appears. they are shoulder to shoulder.

Patrick_Mucci

Several years ago I played in the NJ State AM at Hollywood.  Today's kids would turn it into a pitch and putt course.

You can probably say that about almost any course today.

But, Hollywood has added a little length on # 9 and # 14, and there's some room for additional length, but for what purpose ?

The wind and green complexes offer an ample challenge for members and guests.

It's a wonderful golf course

Mike Sweeney

They played the 2011 NJ Open at Hollywood:

http://www.nj.com/golf/index.ssf/2011/07/somervilles_kevin_foley_moves.html

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back