News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bill_McBride

Cape Breton Article
« on: June 09, 2013, 12:01:56 PM »
Good article by Charles McGrath in this morning's Sunday New York Times travel section on a visit to Cabot and Highland Links on Nova Scotia's Cape Breton Island:

http://travel.nytimes.com/2013/06/09/travel/in-cape-breton-a-rugged-golf-getaway.html?ref=travel&_r=0

I personally plan to skip the poutine, a mixture of French fries, brown gravy and cheese curds with a name that translates to "mess" in French Canadian patois.

It just looks great.   The golf, not the poutine.

Mike Whitaker and I are going there in early August with a small group of eight, and have one slot open.  Send me an email or IM if you're interested, I'll send details.

Ben Malach

Re: Cape Breton Article
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2013, 12:10:48 PM »
Some good advice from a Canadian do not miss Poutine. It is a great lunch for a 36 hole day plus its amazing.
@benmalach on Instagram and Twitter

Bill_McBride

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2013, 12:23:41 PM »
Some good advice from a Canadian do not miss Poutine. It is a great lunch for a 36 hole day plus its amazing.

Well Ben, I tried haggis once, so will give poutine a try too!  Thanks.

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2013, 04:59:06 PM »
They even sell poutine at McDonalds up there! :)

Matt Kardash

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2013, 05:05:47 PM »
Getting Poutine outside of Quebec is a sin.  :P
As a Quebecer I don't really think of Poutine as a Canadian food. It's Quebec food that just so happened to escape into the rest of the country! Only problem is the rest of the country doesn't have the right kind of "squeeky" cheese.
the interviewer asked beck how he felt "being the bob dylan of the 90's" and beck quitely responded "i actually feel more like the bon jovi of the 60's"

Ben Malach

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2013, 07:04:11 PM »
Cape Breton and the rest of the Maritimes has legit cheese curd. Plus the golf is solid as you can see plus also has a very unique culture. If you have time to spend so time in Halifax do it is super awesome. There is also not bad golf by there including Digby Pines, Truro golf club and Lost Creek.But nothing as amazing as in Cape Breton but still good choices.
@benmalach on Instagram and Twitter

Carl Johnson

Re: Cape Breton Article New
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2013, 08:03:53 PM »
Five years, or so, ago, my wife and I spent a week on the island.  No golf.  We did not sample the poutine and are not sorry about that.  However, we had plenty of (other) great food, found the local population amazingly welcoming, and, notwithstanding the NYT article, plenty of nightlife.  The local music scene was superior.  Not to slight other places, but do not miss the Red Shoe Pub in Mabou.  http://www.redshoepub.com/  (20  min. south of Inverness).  Another golf course that looked interesting: http://leportagegolfclub.com/
« Last Edit: June 09, 2013, 08:35:21 PM by Carl Johnson »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back