News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Patrick_Mucci

What makes a great club ?
« on: June 08, 2013, 10:27:52 PM »
Great members.

23 members of Merion got together and bought 2 adjacent acres and then donated the use of the land to the club.

It's members like that, who have a keen interest in,  and a passion for their club that makes their club all the better.

At another club the Board voted to NOT purchase adjacent land for land needed for a range.
A member with the same interest and passion as those at Merion bought the land and subsequently offered it to the club at the price he paid for it.
Today it's a vital part of the club's facilities.

What other clubs benefited from independent contributions on the part of concerned and passionate members ?

Mark Chaplin

Re: What makes a great club ?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2013, 02:42:46 AM »
Jack Aisher purchased Royal Cinque Ports and gave the club to the membership. Individual members have purchased new tees assisted with drainage improvement work.

Not sure your examples show what contributes a great club though, maybe the title should be about great benefactors.

Cave Nil Vino

Joe_Tucholski

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2013, 03:28:04 AM »
Agree with Mark.  When reading your question and examples the answer from your perspective seems clear.  A great club needs wealthy members, devoted to golf.

I would say a great club is one where the members are like minded.  A great club for me certainly isn't a great club for everyone.

Bill Brightly

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2013, 07:23:14 AM »
What is the use of the donated land at Merion? Did they expand the golf course or are they using this land for non-golfing activities during the Open?

Joe Sponcia

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2013, 07:53:28 AM »
Where members are differently the same.
Joe

"If the hole is well designed, a fairway can't be too wide".

- Mike Nuzzo

Dan Byrnes

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2013, 08:20:20 AM »
I think it's more of people who view the club as a personal part of their lifestyle and not just a consumer product, These people will make a sacrifice for the betterment of their club.

Certainly members who have the means and are willing to personally fund things that benefit the club is a bonus. 

A local club just redid some significant bunker work here where a few members put up several hundred thousand and the club matched it.

A bit surprised that Merion wouldn't just buy that land themselves I can't imagine there is a lack of capital at the club or an unwillingness to pay an assessment for an improvement.

Dan

Lou_Duran

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2013, 09:58:05 AM »
A golf course designed, maintained, and setup/presented to promote variety, balance, and challenge, with a membership possessing few affectations (a scarcity of high maintenance types), while steeped in common sense, courtesy, and knowledge of golf and its history.

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2013, 12:03:13 PM »
Great members.

What other clubs benefited from independent contributions on the part of concerned and passionate members ?

One that comes to mind is Stan Druckenmiller who built another bridge at Oakmont so the club could host the US Open.  The story is below.

"Walking to the ninth tee one day in 2001, Ford told Druckenmiller that an Open would not return without a new bridge to handle the overflow of spectator traffic. Druckenmiller told Ford to call his secretary and she would write the check. The USGA couldn't make the offer fast enough, for both an Amateur and an Open, cementing Oakmont's spot in the rotation. "To me it just wasn't right that this place, which had such a history and hosted so many Opens, would have all that come to an end because of a crowd logjam," Druckenmiller said. "I've been extremely fortunate in life to make more money than I'll ever need. Oakmont is a special place to me, and its history was going to die. I couldn't afford to let it die.""

Wade Whitehead

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2013, 03:19:43 PM »
One thing that makes a great club is members who stop for a few minutes to fill forgotten divots, fix ball marks, or work a trap.  It costs nothing but means a lot.

WW

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2013, 03:57:25 PM »
Members who greet each other by name and have a genuine interest in other members and their guests.

David Panzarasa

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2013, 08:26:59 PM »
The members that bought Stone Eagle in Palm Springs. Really nice membership/people from those I have met, and no politics...just a men's golf club that's really not looking to make a profit. They want a great course, relaxing, and not deal with B.S. From my understanding at least.

Jim_Coleman

« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2013, 11:32:47 PM »
    Odd that money seems to be a central theme here.  That's the last thing that would come to mind.

Mike_Young

« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2013, 12:24:26 AM »
I don't think it is ever anyone thing...they seem to evolve and you just know one when you see it.... :D
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Sam Morrow

« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2013, 12:58:38 AM »
I think what makes a great club is when they know they are special and they don't feel the need to flaunt it. They don't care what outsiders think, they know they are great.

Joel Zuckerman

« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2013, 03:47:36 AM »
I think a key for me is a sense of permanency - same staff for years - same members you see all the time in the clubhouse - etc etc -

Well said.  I left my old club in WMass 16 years ago to move south, but still have a dozen golf buddies in the area. It never ceases to amaze me how they jumped in and out of membership deals, a real "musical chairs" scenario, depending on the year, the deal being offered, their whims, etc.  A typical guy would join in 2004, forgo the place entirely in 2005, back in the fold in '06 and '07, take a "leave" in '08, etc.
 NOT the way a great club should operate IMO!

Ben Jarvis

« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2013, 05:03:23 AM »
As a 28 year old, I joined a club last October, and intend on being there as long as I shall live.

Since joining 7 months ago, the President and Captain are always asking after me, ensuring I'm enjoying my club and have assimilated well.

On a Thursday, a weekly competition day, approximately 60 men arrive at the club at midday, have a drink in the clubhouse and then meet at the 1st tee at 12:45. They don't like members playing in the same groups each week and therefore your golf ball is drawn from a hat to determine playing partners. Each and every member I have played with, no matter their age or occupation, have been more than welcoming. We, as members, are different but treated the same by one another.

Twitter: @BennyJarvis
Instagram: @bennyj08

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2013, 11:02:22 AM »
Great members.

23 members of Merion got together and bought 2 adjacent acres and then donated the use of the land to the club.

It's members like that, who have a keen interest in,  and a passion for their club that makes their club all the better.

At another club the Board voted to NOT purchase adjacent land for land needed for a range.
A member with the same interest and passion as those at Merion bought the land and subsequently offered it to the club at the price he paid for it.
Today it's a vital part of the club's facilities.

Early Minikahda members Harvey Brown, Alfred Pillsbury and Robert Webb bought adjoining land and allowed the club to use that land for its golf course, and held the land until the club could afford to buy it. Later, member Frank Steiner paid for a bridge across Excelsior Boulevard to reach the club's 15th, 16th and 17th holes when walking across the busy street proved too dangerous.

At any club you will always find individuals who are wealthier than the club itself. Their willingness to bestow their money on the club is a good indicator of a club's greatness, but certainly not the only indicator -- otherwise, many of us wouldn't have much to contribute.
"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2013, 12:52:49 PM »
Rick,

I don't think it's a matter of any one individual being wealthier than the club, rather, it's a passionate committment on the part of those members to do something positive for the club, when frequently, the club is  bogged down in the politics associated with the issue.

I think it's called being a visionary or a leader or both.

In the situation I'm familiar with, the issue was bogged down at the Board and Membership level and a dynamic member, with vision, knew that his actions would benefit the club in the future, even if the club couldn't see the benefit at the moment.

Without his actions, the club would have the tiniest of ranges today, accomodating six people at the most.
Now, there are three large practice tees at different ends of the range, able to accomodate dozens of golfers at the same time.

George Blunt

« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2013, 05:53:45 PM »
Agree that it is not about the $.
I find the great clubs outside the US typically have an emphasis on two ball and three ball play, with barely any tolerance for four ball stroke play.  They have enough carts for those who are unable to walk 18 holes, but no more.  A great club lets the members do their own thing, their own way - no compulsory caddies or carts, no restaurant minimums, etc.

And all great clubs have a reverence for the history of the game as well as their club, and a vision for the future.

George

Bill Vogeney

« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2013, 05:58:58 PM »
I had a dear friend, Dr.Chris Allen, who passed away a few years ago who was an Oakmont member who also told me this stories. With a few twists...over a round at Oakmont...priceless....

The bridge was estimated to cost $800,000. The member stepped in and offered to pay, because he didn't want the club to assess the general membership.

Once they started work, the contractor said it would need an extra $100,000 to finish it. The member (Chris never used his name) said, "okay, I"ll pay it, just don't tell my wife about it."

Vog

Great members.

One that comes to mind is Stan Druckenmiller who built another bridge at Oakmont so the club could host the US Open.  The story is below.

"Walking to the ninth tee one day in 2001, Ford told Druckenmiller that an Open would not return without a new bridge to handle the overflow of spectator traffic. Druckenmiller told Ford to call his secretary and she would write the check. The USGA couldn't make the offer fast enough, for both an Amateur and an Open, cementing Oakmont's spot in the rotation. "To me it just wasn't right that this place, which had such a history and hosted so many Opens, would have all that come to an end because of a crowd logjam," Druckenmiller said. "I've been extremely fortunate in life to make more money than I'll ever need. Oakmont is a special place to me, and its history was going to die. I couldn't afford to let it die.""

Mac Plumart

« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2013, 09:53:48 PM »
passionate committment
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Jason Walker

« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2013, 10:50:51 PM »
letting my corporate self get in the way here-----but shouldn't this conversation start with 'what is/defines a great club'?

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2013, 11:33:39 PM »
Jason,

The answer's the same........... great members

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2013, 09:09:29 AM »
Well, Pat, great members are nice, but ... all those great members are shining their own shoes, flipping their own burgers, picking their own range and pouring their own drinks (not to mention, driving their own triplexes) without great STAFF!  A great club ain't great without great staff.

And whom do you think hires that staff, directly or indirectly ?

Daryl David

« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2013, 11:20:39 AM »
The members that bought Stone Eagle in Palm Springs. Really nice membership/people from those I have met, and no politics...just a men's golf club that's really not looking to make a profit. They want a great course, relaxing, and not deal with B.S. From my understanding at least.

At the risk being nitpicky, the women members at Stone Eagle I know might not appreciate the "men's golf club" description.  As might the residents from Palm Desert since the club is there and not in Palm Springs.  Just sayin.   ;D

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back