News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Chris Shaida

Re: US Open/Merion/Philly Tips
« Reply #50 on: June 12, 2013, 08:56:51 PM »
Very helpful info on this thread.  Thanks to the locals!

Will be coming across the turnpike from the east and then afterwards will be continuing on the turnpike WEST.  So it seems like the Norristown train is the way to go.  Anybody have a sense of which station closest to the tpke will have best chance of parking?  Should I get off and just go to Norristown? Or can I stay on a bit further and park at Dekalb or Hughes street stations (not clear on the Septa site though it is otherwise very helpful).  Thanks in advance.

mike_beene

« Reply #51 on: June 12, 2013, 09:21:50 PM »
Did the practice round today and the Septa from 30th street station to Rosemont  and then to the shuttle worked perfectly. By the way the 11 th hole crosswalk is closed due to the wet conditions so you have to go around 12 to get to 11 green. In the afternoon I wish I had just walked to the Ardmore station as the shuttle to Rosemont was a 25 minute deal.

Howard Riefs

« Reply #52 on: June 16, 2013, 09:03:35 PM »
Josh, others,

How was your trip to Merion? Philly?
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Josh Tarble

« Reply #53 on: June 16, 2013, 09:24:59 PM »
Thanks for bringing this topic back up Howard.

The trip to Philly was great! It is a great, historical city. We all said the city made us feel quite patriotic (very fitting for the Open).  Cheesesteaks were great as usual and found maybe a too good of spot for beer. We may have been slightly overserved, which made the early morning a bit rough. We took the train from Norristown because we were driving out after leaving and that was perfect. Made the entire day so easy.

Merion itself was fantastic, as good as course as I've ever seen. It just looked so fun and was such an old school course. We watched in the 17 grandstands for several hours - saw more triple bogies than birdies! It was great watching the pros struggle like us regular guys  :o Also watched several groups from the hillside on 9 which made for a great day.

Thanks all, for the advice and suggestions! Now just to get back to Merion to play!  ;D

mike_beene

« Reply #54 on: June 16, 2013, 10:22:45 PM »
My trip was great.Took the train up from DC Wednesday with a ticket curtesy of a friend on the USGa executive committee. Everything worked smoothly and people were helpful and courteous. I had never seen Merion so walked it and studied it from every angle I could find;probably walked 12 miles.Having been to several US Opens,an Open Championship and a number of tour events,I have never seen the buy in from the club and membership and in particular neighborhoods. My day at Merion goes in a short file of great sports days that include the Night at the Atlanta Olympics that Michael Johnson won the 200 ,and perhaps my 36 hole days at Muirfield and Gullane and a beautiful day playing Oakmont. Pretty high praise for a practice round and a compliment to Philadelphia, the USGA and Merion and its neighbors.Well done.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back