News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ed Brzezowski

Re: Help: Packing List for 7 days in Scotland in June
« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2013, 06:35:05 PM »
Thanks all.  Very appreciated!

Tim - Crail, Kingsbarns, New & Castle courses, Carnoustie, Trump, Cruden Bay.  Outside chance at the Old Course.

Do courses allow for players in shorts, weather permitting?

Shorts are fine, but some private courses require knee socks.  Not sure about Crail, need to check ahead there. 
Shorts.  Really, do you think you are going to Clayton Park.   Omg.  Long pants are the way to go. Almost every hotel has in room pants presses that can double as a pants dryer.

Underarmor shirts are the way to go. Pick two colors and build around that, Black and Tan.

Buy some shirts over there.

Shorts, Good Lord I am aghast. Two pairs of shoes are required .
We have a pool and a pond, the pond would be good for you.

Sean_A

« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2013, 07:03:36 PM »

My current "Scotland specific" items include:
    A hearty rain suit,
    Bucket rain hat,
    Rain gloves
    TrueLinks golf shoes,
    (3) pairs of Pants,
    pullover & sweater,
    (2) long sleeve golf shirts,
    an external battery source (I chose an Anker Astro),

Any advice or modifications are greatly appreciated, including if I'm packing too much or too little.

I'm NOT taking an umbrella, as I've been told/read the caddies will curse their golfer for bothering with a useless device.

I'm considering a second pair of shoes, just in case rotating is necessary from the previous days rains.

I wear sunglasses because I headaches from too much sun.  Pointless in Scotland?

Thanks again for any & all help.

Nick

-3 pair of trousers is fine unless you have to be smart for some reason - also bring one pair of shorts as they are best to wear under water proofs and you are likely to get a day or two when they work fine in the weather

-if you have space and can wear golf shoes casually, bring an extra pair

-don't bother bringing an umbrella - you can purchase an umbrella on the spot if and when - THEY DO COME IN HANDY so don't listen to any knucklehead caddie

-bring two pair of socks per day

-do bring a wool sweater - mornings can be cool and wool works well in drizzle without having to use rain gear

-if you need a wool/tweed hat of any sort to keep warm - don't bother playing - Scotland isn't Russia

-don't waste too much weight with golf balls - reasonably priced options exist in the UK if you run out

-don't overpack - you will likely buy stuff along the way and that space will be premium going home - rule of thumb, extra shoes, balls and rain gear must fit in golf bag or you over-packed

-bring crappy/old clubhead covers/bag towels/ditty bags - you may decide to ditch them in favour of new stuff

-bring your sunglasses

-make sure rain gear is as breathable as possible - I try to avoid wearing the stuff in summer because the sweat is worse than getting wet

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Nothing

Bill_McBride

« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2013, 08:44:26 PM »
Another thought on shorts - bring black shorts!   My wife and I went to the 2005 Open Championship at St Andrews.  I threw a pair of black shorts in the suitcase at the la st moment.  There was a heat wave of unusual proportions during that week, I wore the shorts every day at the course!  Khaki shorts would have lasted a couple of days at best.  
« Last Edit: June 03, 2013, 10:57:15 PM by Bill_McBride »

Jud_T

« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2013, 09:09:58 PM »
The high in St. Andrews today was 60 degrees.  Leave the shorts at home.  Unless you're one of those guys who insists on showing his legs when its 45 with a 30 mph wind and icy rain, in which case make sure to get some extra scotch at the duty free to help your playing companions numb the pain.  ;)
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Brad Tufts

« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2013, 09:32:41 PM »
One more thing.  i have a number of tweed caps, a favorite being a Donegal tweed a friend purchased for me at Waterville.  The advantage over the American baseball style cap is the wool tends to repel the water and not become water logged as do the cotton hats keeping you warmer.  Certainly a more civilized approach.  And if its that cloudy and rainy, you don't need the sun protection that the larger bill affords.

Or even a combo...I have a wool baseball cap that repels water very nicely...has a USGA logo on it.  Looks as Scottish as something with the USGA logo can look.  After my last trip I decided that it was only an overseas golf cap and won't be worn again until the 2015 trip.
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Jeremy Rudock

« Reply #30 on: June 03, 2013, 09:52:06 PM »
I just got back from a 10 day trip over there.

My itinerary:
Both Crail Courses
Castle Course
Carnoustie
Kingsbarns
Old Course x 2 (Was fortunate to play it a 2nd time on the ballot, and even more fortunate to be paired up with a couple members who showed me a great time)
Lundin Links

We had a layover day in Glasgow before our return flight home so we hopped online and booked a 99 pound afternoon tee time at Turnberry Ailsa to round out an amazing trip.

As for packing, here's what I took:
Rain gear (obvious)
4 pairs of pants (dark and light)
2 pairs of Golf shoes - one pair of dryjoys and one pair of Ecco hybrids for playing/walking around St. Andrews in.
4 short sleeve shirts
1 Dressshirt with tie and sportcoat (never know when you'll get an invite into one of the clubs)
1 underarmour long sleeve undershirt
1 sweater
2 pullovers
1 sweater vest
1 pair of underarmour compression shorts (for warmth and comfort when walking 9 days in a row)
Sunscreen
Insect repellant
A couple hats
A couple dozen balls (pro V1's are damn expensive over there)

Overall we were blessed with fantastic weather.  Only got wet one day, and otherwise had 50+ degree temps with relatively little wind every day.  Perfect weather for walking 18.

Mickey Boland

« Reply #31 on: June 03, 2013, 09:52:59 PM »
A couple of bungee cords to strap your golf bag to the trolleys is helpful advice that I was given and took.  

Ken Moum

« Reply #32 on: June 04, 2013, 02:40:33 AM »
They are quite expensive by my standards but UnderArmour sells golf-suitable slacks in khaki/grey/black/white that are made of very, very light, foldable and wrinkle-resistant material. Last trip I took five pairs of those and they folded into about the bulk and weight of two pairs of dress slacks. They are breathable and very comfortable IMO.

Look at your local Target store for the C9 golf pants made by Champion. They are light, stretch-fabric, and almost completely wrinkle free. Best of all, they come in khaki, grey and black for less than $30. http://www.target.com/p/c9-by-champion-men-s-golf-pants-assorted-colors/-/A-14148908.

I can't quite squeeze my fat butt into the 42s which are the largest they make.  But I've lost about 4 inches from my waist since Feb., so I figure I'll make in time for our trip to Scotland in August.

K
Over time, the guy in the ideal position derives an advantage, and delivering him further  advantage is not worth making the rest of the players suffer at the expense of fun, variety, and ultimately cost -- Jeff Warne, 12-08-2010

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #33 on: June 04, 2013, 03:13:47 AM »
34 posts and no one's learned their lesson from Old Tom Morris.

Spare a little room for your swimming trunks. I can personally recommend the beaches at Dornoch, St Andrews and North Berwick. 

Refreshing ;)
Let's make GCA grate again!

Charlie Gallagher

« Reply #34 on: June 04, 2013, 04:59:51 AM »
I would add a 2nd pair of shoes and a water proof wind shirt, half sleave. It works very well in conjunction with the sweater. Keep an eye on the forecast right up to the day you depart as you can customize to the conditions regarding how many long sleave vs short sleave shirts you bring. No cotton. Performance fabric and wool only. That goes for socks as well, Smart wool, Fox River, and EMS all make great wicking socks that offer good padding and are comfortable in a huge range of temperatures.
     And if it's gusting up over 30 and "peltin' down stones" leave the umbrela in the car. Only the best rain gear offers protection in that.

Niall C

« Reply #35 on: June 04, 2013, 07:24:07 AM »
Nick

Speaking as a native let me suggest that you pack for every eventuality. It may be summer but that's no guarantee you'll get beach weather at any point. The shorts are a good idea as contrary to what you may have been told or read, us locals do like to bear our white/blue bits when we get the chance. They are also more comfortable than long trousers when you get hit by a squall furthest point out and decide to put on your waterproof trousers over. Umbrellas - follow Brians advice. Caddies - your choice but if you've never been to Scotland before you'll find that the great majority of courses don't have caddies and those that do only get them in for American tourists. Usually the caddy is a local looking to earn a little extra beer money. If they give you any snash about carrying an umbrella just ask them if they take one with them when they play  ;)

Finally, I've played all the courses you're playing and some of them a number of times, and have yet to be asked for a handicap certificate. Indeed I can only recall once being asked for a handicap certificate. Handy to take one with you but if stuck I'm pretty sure that VISA will do just as nicely.

Niall

Brent Hutto

« Reply #36 on: June 04, 2013, 07:50:50 AM »
When I went to England (Yorkshire and Nottinghamshire) last September I only took lightweight long-sleeved shirts. It was cool but pleasant the first day. Not quite as cool the second. Warm the next three days and flat-out hot the final afternoon. By the third day I was just wearing the souvenir short-sleeve shirts I purchased at Ganton and Notts, two of the long-sleeved ones never came out of my suitcase. The morning of my departure it was cold, windy and spitting rain...if I'd stayed one more day the long sleeves would have come in very handy.

A good general plan is short-sleeved golf shirt and a couple of those thin long-sleeved compression undershirts that Bart mentioned. Short sleeves are fine (for me) down to around 18C. Cooler than that short sleeves under a Goretex jacket. And if it dips below 8-9C you can do the undershirt under a short-sleeved shirt under the Goretex jacket.

Plus short sleeves pack smaller than long.

Sean_A

« Reply #37 on: June 04, 2013, 08:01:15 AM »
Short sleeves are fine (for me) down to around 18C. Cooler than that short sleeves under a Goretex jacket.

Therein is the crux of the matter.  I go short sleeves in much cooler weather if its sunny without too much wind - maybe down to 12ish.  I often use a sleeveless rain top to keep the body warm even if it goes up to 18/20 (I like to keep me back warm).  I used to use wool vests, but stopped because the sleeveless rain gear is more versatile and therefore far better for travel.  I can go in shorts down to 12ish as well.  Much also depends if you are carrying, trolleying or being caddied.  I couldn't wear gortex in anything above 10ish.  It doesn't breath.

Ciao

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #38 on: June 04, 2013, 08:06:53 AM »
Good bandaids (not the cheap one's) to help with the blisters.....

Jud_T

« Reply #39 on: June 04, 2013, 08:31:14 AM »
Bandaids are a must, particularly when playing so many rounds.  You should keep a couple in your bag at all times.  I'd also pack some Nuskin liquid bandaid for any cuts you may get in awkward places.  Personally I never liked playing in a sweater as it feels too constricting to swing in, but that's your call.  A wool cap is great if you run into a really cold morning or very strong winds, but definitely get yourself a proper rain hat.  Layers are the key as you can run into 4 seasons of weather in a single round. 
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

BigEdSC

« Reply #40 on: June 04, 2013, 09:08:01 AM »
Mickey Boland was right on bringing two bungie cords for the trolleys.  A couple of Underarmor type T-shirts ( I prefer loose) help in the cold/wind.  Turtlenecks or something that blocks the cold/wind from around your neck is huge to help keep you from getting sick.

One thing that I use, and probably not many think it's a good idea, is bringing a good size water bottle and a clip that can be fastened to your golf bag, for those that use a trolley.  And one thing our group does is we go the the local grocery store when necessary, and buy bread, peanut butter and jelly, and make sandwiches each day we play.

A lot of good ideas here, but one thing that you will be assured of, you will bring back more stuff than you bring over there.

David_Tepper

« Reply #41 on: June 04, 2013, 09:16:39 AM »
I don't think anyone has yet suggested a knit ski/stocking hat. Having one to cover your ears on a cool, windy day can be a really helpful. I wore mine often last month.

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #42 on: June 04, 2013, 09:44:18 AM »
Is this a trip to Siberia or east Scotland?

If it rains wear light waterproof trousers with no trousers underneath, you'll roast otherwise. Two pair of golf trousers, two shorts and a decent pair of trousers to wear with a jacket is plenty. Unless you really feel the cold long sleeve tops are a waste. I wear a s/s golf shirt, sweater and waterproof rain jacket all the way through the WINTER and never freeze. Proper golf umbrella is very useful.

Trousers with combat pockets are frowned upon at better clubs.

Paul - midges are on the west coast not the east.
Cave Nil Vino

John Handley

« Reply #43 on: June 04, 2013, 10:41:58 AM »
Cannot believe you people have forgotten the most important thing....

vaseline or something to protect against chaffing. I'd guess you may not be used to walking seven rounds or so in a week. IN Bandon, they call it "Caddy Ass: and I can assure you, you want no part of it. You'll only learn that le ;Dsson once.

2 pairs of shoes are mandatory and comfortable ones. You probably cant take enough socks plus figure you'll purchase some golf shirts or headwear along the way.  Enjoy.
2024 Line Up: Spanish Oaks GC, Cal Club, Cherokee Plantation, Huntercombe, West Sussex, Hankley Common, Royal St. Georges, Sunningdale New & Old, CC of the Rockies, Royal Lytham, Royal Birkdale, Formby, Royal Liverpool, Swinley Forest, St. George's Hill, Berkshire Red, Walton Heath Old, Austin GC,

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #44 on: June 04, 2013, 11:05:27 AM »
Nick,

Ziplock bags for your golf gloves, cell phone, etc., etc.

Nick Church

« Reply #45 on: June 04, 2013, 11:23:33 AM »
Thank you all very much!  I love this community.

One additional question --- any advice on a good digital camera?  Something "mid-range" ideally.

Again, I am very thankful for all your suggestions & tips.

Sean_A

« Reply #46 on: June 04, 2013, 12:13:34 PM »
Is this a trip to Siberia or east Scotland?

If it rains wear light waterproof trousers with no trousers underneath, you'll roast otherwise. Two pair of golf trousers, two shorts and a decent pair of trousers to wear with a jacket is plenty. Unless you really feel the cold long sleeve tops are a waste. I wear a s/s golf shirt, sweater and waterproof rain jacket all the way through the WINTER and never freeze. Proper golf umbrella is very useful.

Trousers with combat pockets are frowned upon at better clubs.

Paul - midges are on the west coast not the east.

I too wondered which Scotland folks were referring to.  I have been over the wall loads of times in June and never encountered the freezing temps folks on this thread gear up for.  Mind you, pros at the Dunhill wear woolie caps when the weather isn't near calling for it.

The one problem with wearing undershirts in the summer is when it does get too warm, how do you take it off?  I say stick with the woolie jumper and strip when need be or change to short sleeve rain top.

Ciao

John Mayhugh

« Reply #47 on: June 04, 2013, 12:35:12 PM »
I do believe every piece of clothing and equipment has been mentioned but there is something about Scottish golf that has not. The Dickie.

Having spent some time in the country I found the quickest way to feel cold is not covering up the neck and throat. Having arrived in St. Andrews without one, I went into the old Woolen Shop and was waited on by a non-Scottish young lady. I asked for a Dickie and she looked askance at me thinking I was some sort of pervert. I explained the garment for which I was looking and she replied : Oh, you mean a Polo Insert."  Somehow I prefer the old name.

Bob

This story made my day. Thanks!

Jud_T

« Reply #48 on: June 04, 2013, 01:29:53 PM »

One additional question --- any advice on a good digital camera?  Something "mid-range" ideally.

Nick,

I'd recommend a Panasonic Lumix point and shoot.  Fits easily in your golf bag, has a very good lens made by Leica and won't break the bank.

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #49 on: June 04, 2013, 01:50:28 PM »
Shoes and socks, lots of each
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back