News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Nick Church

Help: Packing List for 7 days in Scotland in June
« on: June 03, 2013, 12:53:33 PM »
This is my please for advice on essential goods for a June trip to Scotland.

My current "Scotland specific" items include:
    A hearty rain suit,
    Bucket rain hat,
    Rain gloves
    TrueLinks golf shoes,
    (3) pairs of Pants,
    pullover & sweater,
    (2) long sleeve golf shirts,
    an external battery source (I chose an Anker Astro),

Any advice or modifications are greatly appreciated, including if I'm packing too much or too little.

I'm NOT taking an umbrella, as I've been told/read the caddies will curse their golfer for bothering with a useless device.

I'm considering a second pair of shoes, just in case rotating is necessary from the previous days rains.

I wear sunglasses because I headaches from too much sun.  Pointless in Scotland?

Thanks again for any & all help.

Nick

Brent Hutto

Re: Help: Packing List for 7 days in Scotland in June
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2013, 01:06:37 PM »
I would always carry two pairs of shoes suitable for golf, although sometimes I put one pair of golf shoes in my golf bag and wear waterproof (Goretex) hiking or walking shoes as my "street shoes" everywhere except golf. But you gotta have something that will do in a pinch for a round of golf while the other pair is wet.

Are you going to be somewhere that laundry service or washing your own clothes is practical? And will your schedule allow for it?

If not, you need more than three pairs of slacks for a seven-day trip. If you happen to catch wet or even damp/changeable weather you can easily find that a 14-hour day in a pair of slack renders them too sweaty/stinky to wear again unwashed. I actually always carry as many pairs of slacks as there are days in my trip, including the one I wear on the plane.

I tend to buy souvenir golf shirts when on golf holidays so I will sometimes just pack three or four shirts from home and wear the ones I buy over there on the other days. But I'm not going to buy slacks at the pro shop.

Leave the sweater and/or "pullover" home. Too bulky. Make sure your rain jacket is a light to medium weight one that can serve as outer layer for cool-breezy weather and outright rain or drizzle. Do not carry a "winter weight" Goretex jacket, better to have a lighter weight breathable waterproof shell and on the off chance you encounter an outright cold day, just put on an extra layer underneath.

Don't know what an external battery device is, sorry.

P.S. They are quite expensive by my standards but UnderArmour sells golf-suitable slacks in khaki/grey/black/white that are made of very, very light, foldable and wrinkle-resistant material. Last trip I took five pairs of those and they folded into about the bulk and weight of two pairs of dress slacks. They are breathable and very comfortable IMO.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2013, 01:10:03 PM by Brent Hutto »

Bart Bradley

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2013, 01:18:44 PM »
Nick:

Make sure that you and your companions have your handicap verification.

I recommend 2 pairs of golf shoes.

Take a ziplock in your golfbag so that if it rains you can put your camera in something waterproof.

I love the tight fitting under armour shirts as a base layer if it is cold.

;)  We will talk soon anyway.

Bart

Bart Bradley

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2013, 01:33:27 PM »
Each to their own but don't let those perpetuating the myth that umbrellas are useless destroy your trip - a really good (large and strong) umbrella, well used, can save an otherwise miserable day. Please purchase a top of the range one as a priority. :)

Brian:

An umbrella is only helpful when there is little wind...not saying they are worthless, but if it is windy you are better off with a waterproof hat.  I always keep one of those in my golf bag in the UK as well so I can change it out for the hat I am wearing when it starts raining.

Bart

Bill_McBride

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2013, 01:41:22 PM »
If you pack like that you will virtually guarantee no rain. 

Layering is the key.  Short sleeve shirt and sweater vest topped by a waterproof wind shirt will handle any weather situation without being bulky.  I like to take a pair of shorts to wear under rain pants if its absolutely going to rain.  A second pair of shoes and plenty of socks is also essential. 

I have been rained on and agree an umbrella is worthless, rain in Scotland is almost always accompanied by a brisk wind. 

Jud_T

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2013, 01:42:51 PM »
I would also advise two pairs of shoes to alternate days of wear and dryness.  Might want to bring a pair of long underwear.  If you run into 50 degrees, rain and high winds you'll be glad you did.
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Tim Johnson

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2013, 01:44:25 PM »
Most people find this unbelievable but I would pack some sunblock. If it were not for the Vogue magazine the nice lady was reading in the proshop at Donegal in 2004, both my ears would have been toast. I can still remember two comments from her when I asked if they sold sunbock. "You realize this is Ireland" and once I tilted my head forward to show her the tops of my ears "Oh My!"
I was lucky, she remembered seeing an ad for sunblock in the mag and it had a little tester in it. That small little amount let me finish the back nine.
And dont be shy on the shorts, I have done 3 2-week trips in Scotland/Ireland in May and the weather was incredible for the most part. Wear the shorts but have rain pants in the bag if it gets windy/colder during your round.

Enjoy your trip, what courses are you playing?

Nick Church

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2013, 01:46:27 PM »
Thanks all.  Very appreciated!

Tim - Crail, Kingsbarns, New & Castle courses, Carnoustie, Trump, Cruden Bay.  Outside chance at the Old Course.

Do courses allow for players in shorts, weather permitting?
« Last Edit: June 03, 2013, 01:50:59 PM by Nick Church »

Paul Gray

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2013, 01:56:22 PM »
Nick,

Some sort of midge repellent. No one ever warns you about the bloody midges up there!
In the places where golf cuts through pretension and elitism, it thrives and will continue to thrive because the simple virtues of the game and its attendant culture are allowed to be most apparent. - Tim Gavrich

Tim Johnson

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2013, 02:04:57 PM »
Nice course selection. I havent been since 2007 so I am not positive but I am sure the websites will explain per course. I forget which courses I actually wore shorts and I have only played Carnoustie and Cruden bay from your list but I doubt TOC will allow it.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2013, 02:15:05 PM »

Tim - Crail, Kingsbarns, New & Castle courses, Carnoustie, Trump, Cruden Bay.  Outside chance at the Old Course.

Shorts are fine, but some private courses require knee socks.  Not sure about Crail, need to check ahead there. 

David_Tepper

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2013, 02:19:39 PM »
Nick C. -

I am just back from 4 weeks in Dornoch. Shorts are worn at all the golf courses in that area. I cannot speak for the rest of Scotland.

Will you be taking caddies, carrying your own bag or renting a trolley (pull cart)?

At the very least, I would recommend bringing a quality golf umbrella along with you. It rarely rains for an entire round of golf, but you can get caught in a cloudburst that can soak you to your skin in a matter of 20 or 30 seconds, before you even have a chance to get your rain gear out of your golf bag. Having an umbrella handy can save you from getting soaked.

I would also recommend having 2 pairs of shoes you can play golf in. There is noting worse than stepping into a still damp pair of golf shoes in the morning before starting your round.  

Packing several pairs of extra socks (and keeping a pair dry in your golf bag) is not a bad idea either. Should your feet get soaked during a round of golf, it is nice to have a dry pair of socks you can change into once you come off the course.

Have a great trip!

DT  

Ben Malach

« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2013, 02:45:43 PM »
It looks like a nice list. Shorts are ok on all St.Andrews golf courses. Let me know when your in St. Andrews if you want a game.
@benmalach on Instagram and Twitter

Rich Goodale

« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2013, 03:18:11 PM »
Nick,

Some sort of midge repellent. No one ever warns you about the bloody midges up there!

No midgies where you're going, Nick, but if the sun gets out on one of the links courses watch out for the sand flies!

Otherwise, just don't forget to bring a good old american smile.
Life is good.

Any afterlife is unlikely and/or dodgy.

Jean-Paul Parodi

Mark Pearce

« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2013, 03:58:00 PM »

Shorts are fine, but some private courses require knee socks.  Not sure about Crail, need to check ahead there. 
Shorts are fine at Crail.  No sock rule either.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Jim Nelson

« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2013, 03:59:43 PM »
Nothing used to say American golfer more than shorts.  Maybe that has changed.  I would add an adapter to the list if you have any electronic needs such as a phone, computer or tablet.  Or electric toothbrush.
I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world.  This makes it hard to plan the day.  E. B. White

Howard Riefs

« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2013, 04:06:07 PM »
A perfect list courtesy of David Owen of Golf Digest:

In the carry-on bag:
- 1 pair dark polyester microfiber pants (another worn on the plane)
- 1 shirt (another worn on the plane—and one or both of these is a turtleneck)
- 1 sweater (worn or packed, depending on the weather)
- 1 pair of Under Armour-type long johns
- 1 long-sleeve Under Armour-type undershirt
- 1 tee shirt (to sleep in and serve in a pinch as an extra layer)
- 1 pair of sweat pants (for lounging around and for emergency duty under rain pants if the weather turns really foul)
- Lots of cotton handkerchiefs (my new favorite golf accessory)
- Toiletry-type crap
- As many pairs of socks and underpants as I can cram into the remaining space

In the golf-bag travel case (along with my golf clubs):
- 1 pair True Linkswear (or similarly comfortable) waterproof golf shoes (a second pair worn instead of packed—no other shoes are needed)
- 1 rain suit (the jacket of which, in combination with a sweater, shirt, and undershirt, should be plenty, even for December)
- 2 regular golf gloves and 2 pairs of rain gloves
- 1 Seattle Sombrero (or other good rain hat)
- 1 regular golf hat
- As many golf balls as I think I’m going to need, because they’re cheaper over here

http://www.myusualgame.com/2013/01/29/how-to-pack-for-a-golf-trip-to-the-british-isles/

"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Chris_Hufnagel

« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2013, 04:11:18 PM »
One item I have recently discovered and have come to love are wool or synthetic arm warmers - think bicyclers. They are super light, very warm, easy to pack and then carry in your golf bag.  I now wear a polo, sweater vest or fleece vest, and then the arm warmers. Very versatile...

Ben Jarvis

« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2013, 04:17:44 PM »
Each to their own but don't let those perpetuating the myth that umbrellas are useless destroy your trip - a really good (large and strong) umbrella, well used, can save an otherwise miserable day. Please purchase a top of the range one as a priority. :)

If you're playing with Brian Sheehy, bring a spare umbrella too...  ;)
Twitter: @BennyJarvis
Instagram: @bennyj08

Eric Smith

« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2013, 04:52:47 PM »
Each to their own but don't let those perpetuating the myth that umbrellas are useless destroy your trip - a really good (large and strong) umbrella, well used, can save an otherwise miserable day.

:D I do seem to recall being envious of you and your umbrella along about the midway point of our round at Turnberry.

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2013, 04:58:58 PM »
Shorts are good.  If its warm and if its not you can always wear rain trousers over them.  I find a pair of shorts don't look too creased for at least 3 rounds, unlike long trousers.

Another tip if you are wearing proper strides, tuck them into your socks before you put the rain trousers on and they wil not get so wet at the bottom.

Enjoy the trip.
Let's make GCA grate again!

Paul Gray

« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2013, 05:37:59 PM »
Nothing used to say American golfer more than shorts.......

It still does but many Brits will be wearing shorts if the weather is reasonable so not to worry. The biggest skin crawler for the boys in the pro shop would be the use of the term 'cart.'

We have trolleys.

We have buggies.

We do not have carts.   ;D

In the places where golf cuts through pretension and elitism, it thrives and will continue to thrive because the simple virtues of the game and its attendant culture are allowed to be most apparent. - Tim Gavrich

Will MacEwen

« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2013, 05:46:35 PM »
I'm a firm believer that wet legs are more comfortable than wet pants.

Heavy wool socks and a wool toque/cap are the critical elements to staying warm in inclement weather.

Jim Nelson

« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2013, 05:52:03 PM »
One more thing.  i have a number of tweed caps, a favorite being a Donegal tweed a friend purchased for me at Waterville.  The advantage over the American baseball style cap is the wool tends to repel the water and not become water logged as do the cotton hats keeping you warmer.  Certainly a more civilized approach.  And if its that cloudy and rainy, you don't need the sun protection that the larger bill affords.

I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world.  This makes it hard to plan the day.  E. B. White

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2013, 05:58:33 PM »
I do believe every piece of clothing and equipment has been mentioned but there is something about Scottish golf that has not. The Dickie.

Having spent some time in the country I found the quickest way to feel cold is not covering up the neck and throat. Having arrived in St. Andrews without one, I went into the old Woolen Shop and was waited on by a non-Scottish young lady. I asked for a Dickie and she looked askance at me thinking I was some sort of pervert. I explained the garment for which I was looking and she replied : Oh, you mean a Polo Insert."  Somehow I prefer the old name.

Bob

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back