News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Dan Kelly

One of the great days in American golf
« on: June 03, 2013, 12:07:05 PM »
Today.

U.S. Open Sectional Qualifiers Day -- where dreams die ... or live on!

Is any of you rooting for someone particular today?

My guy is Craig Onsrud of Normal, Ill., playing at Old Warson CC in St. Louis (42 players for 2 spots). He's the longtime swing coach of my daughter Rose's golf team, the Fightin' Titans of Illinois Wesleyan -- and a helluva good guy!

Started off shaky, with a double-bogey at 1 and a bogey at 2 -- but has fought back with a pair of birdies. 1-over through 6, and tied for 10th at the moment.

Live scoring at Old Warson: http://www.usopen.com/en_US/news/qualifying/sectional/r_201304171366227946366.html
« Last Edit: June 03, 2013, 12:22:29 PM by Dan Kelly »
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Chris Roselle

Re: One of the great days in American golf
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2013, 12:12:29 PM »
The Golf Association of Philadelphia has quite a few amateurs that are playing in the sectional down at Woodmont but the one I am following is in Fla where a old friend and former junior golf clubmate, Justin Thompson, is looking to return home to Merion next week...

Andy Treen

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2013, 12:57:24 PM »
Kenny Lewis a club pro from Cape Cod won 1.2 million in Vegas and is taking time to persue professional golf.

http://t.capecodonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20121125/SPORTS/121129862/-1/NEWS&template=tabletart

Pretty neat story.

Hes six over so far.

- Andy
First Assistant Professional
Taconic Golf Club

Howard Riefs

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2013, 02:12:19 PM »
We won't be watching 2-time U.S. Open Champ Lee Janzen anymore. He was DQ'd for wearing metal spikes. Really.
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

mike_beene

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2013, 02:54:05 PM »
We are having qualifying at my club (Lakewood) in Dallas. Jordan Spieth holds the course record and is playing. Unfortunately Tom Kite withdrew yesterday and I had planned to go over and watch him. The course is not set up "over the top" so it will be interesting to see how some of the touring pros score.

Robert Kimball

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2013, 04:40:42 PM »
Amazing that Lee Janzen was DQed for wearing spikes today!  I honestly didn't know metal spikes were still available.

Can the participants wear spikes during the Open? But not during qualifying?

Very odd, indeed. Esxpecially to a 2-time Open Champ.

David_Tepper

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2013, 05:31:10 PM »
Link to the USGA website for the Leaderboards at all the Sectional sites:

http://www.usopen.com/en_US/news/qualifying/sectional.html

Will MacEwen

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2013, 05:32:30 PM »
Amazing that Lee Janzen was DQed for wearing spikes today!  I honestly didn't know metal spikes were still available.

Elkington went through this about 5 years ago in qualifying.  I think each course determines whether the players can wear "nails" or not.

Mac Plumart

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2013, 05:33:35 PM »
Any GCA'ers giving this a go?
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

David Federman

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2013, 06:01:50 PM »
DQ'd for metal spikes - how could that have happened? Wouldn't their sound alert pretty much everyone around that Janzen was wearing them - before he struck his first shot? I used to love that sound!

BHoover

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2013, 08:08:46 PM »
Several of the pros were wearing nails at the sectional qualifier here in Columbus.

Bill McKinley

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2013, 08:24:08 PM »
Any GCA'ers giving this a go?

I missed sectional qualifying by a shot earlier this spring. Only made it to sectionals once, which was the Columbus site. That's pretty much like a tour event with all the big names there.
2016 Highlights:  Streamsong Blue (3/17); Streamsong Red (3/17); Charles River Club (5/16); The Country Club - Brookline (5/17); Myopia Hunt Club (5/17); Fishers Island Club (5/18); Aronomink GC (10/16); Pine Valley GC (10/17); Somerset Hills CC (10/18)

BHoover

« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2013, 08:48:50 PM »
So there's an 11-man playoff for 7 spots in Columbus. But apparently Mike Weir is/was stuck in traffic going from Brookside to the Lakes, so the playoff can't get started. Looks like they'll be playing Tuesday morning.

I don't understand why they don't use a rota of Brookside, Scioto and OSU Scarlet. Much closer than the Lakes.

Mac Plumart

« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2013, 08:53:07 PM »
   Largent, Lawrence (a)   Kingsport, Tenn.   +4   F   +4   72   76   148

This was taken from the GSGA's website regarding the scores at Hawk's Ridge today.  Is this the Lawrence Largent from GCA?
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

BHoover

« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2013, 08:56:17 PM »
So there's an 11-man playoff for 7 spots in Columbus. But apparently Mike Weir is/was stuck in traffic going from Brookside to the Lakes, so the playoff can't get started. Looks like they'll be playing Tuesday morning.

I don't understand why they don't use a rota of Brookside, Scioto and OSU Scarlet. Much closer than the Lakes.

Spoke too soon. Apparently the playoff is well underway, but still ongoing as I write this. Can't be much daylight left on the course.

Dan Byrnes

« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2013, 09:25:00 PM »
Two folks I know played.

http://www.usopen.com/en_US/news/qualifying/sectional/r_201304171366227793154.html

Bryan Bigley was the super's son at one of my past clubs and played with him often while he was young.  Nice kid still chasing the dream missed by 3.

Victor Fox tied 44 +9, another great kid.  High school senior off to Maryland next year to play golf.  Played a lot with him as well as he was growing up, great kid and terrific golfer.  Has a younger brother who is a 7th grader and #3 on the local high school varsity team with Vic.  Way ahead of Vic at this point so will be interesting to see him ove rthe next few years.

Dan

BHoover

« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2013, 09:31:43 PM »
Someone at the Columbus qualifier finished at +22, which included an 89, yes an 89. Something tells me he may be receiving a letter from the USGA.

I also have to share that I was quite disappointed that neither Holly Sonders nor Win McMurry were here in Columbus today.

John Kirk

« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2013, 10:00:39 PM »
Scores were quite high at Tumble Creek in Cle Elum, Washington.  The only two players to break par are in.  It's nice up here in the Pacific Northwest, but it looks as though it was very windy there today.

I am friends with Dustin Schmidt, who played today in Newport Beach, CA and finished T-33 out of 103 players in his sectional.

Daryl David

« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2013, 10:20:17 PM »
Scores were quite high at Tumble Creek in Cle Elum, Washington.  The only two players to break par are in.  It's nice up here in the Pacific Northwest, but it looks as though it was very windy there today.

I am friends with Dustin Schmidt, who played today in Newport Beach, CA and finished T-33 out of 103 players in his sectional.

It was a perfect day at Tumble.  Breezes not more than 10-12 mph during the afternoon round and about 75 degrees.  The issue for the players was figuring out Doak's greens.  I talked with several players during practice rounds that while being very complimentary of the course were really struggling with the firm and fast conditions and putting the tricky greens.  The  greens and surrounds were very firm and fairways were really rolling nice.  Many players had trouble holding long irons unless they landed far enough short for the run up.  It was great to see the course set up as I am sure Tom intended. 

John Kirk

« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2013, 10:23:29 PM »
Thanks, Daryl.  I looked at weather.com this evening, which said it was blowing NW 20 mph right now, so the wind must have picked up, as 20 mph is a significant challenge.  10-12 mph is very manageable.

I'm sure you enjoyed watching the players play the course.  Thanks for checking in.

jeffwarne

« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2013, 10:25:34 PM »
Someone at the Columbus qualifier finished at +22, which included an 89, yes an 89. Something tells me he may be receiving a letter from the USGA.

No letter to a guy who already made it through local.
It happens.
there's golf, and then there's tunamint golf, especially at a site like Columbus loaded with Tour players
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2013, 10:34:44 PM »
Amazing that Lee Janzen was DQed for wearing spikes today!  I honestly didn't know metal spikes were still available.

It is up to the host club. Three of the sites allowed spikes. Janzen's spikes were heard after completion of the first round. Many years ago I heard the clicking after a player had finished 10 holes and the player got DQd. His playing companions were elated because they were out of position and the DQed person hadn't broken 50 on the front.

A Sam Saunders, not the Sam Saunders, missed a 4" putt, ened up in a playoff (3 for 1) and ended up 2d alternate
« Last Edit: June 03, 2013, 10:41:57 PM by Pete_Pittock »

Jim Nelson

« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2013, 10:56:36 PM »
A Sam Saunders, not the Sam Saunders, missed a 4" putt, ened up in a playoff (3 for 1) and ended up 2d alternate
[/quote]
He missed a four inch putt?
I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world.  This makes it hard to plan the day.  E. B. White

Daryl David

« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2013, 11:22:24 PM »
He missed a four inch putt?
[/quote]

They are now saying it was a one footer.  Said he took a stab at it.

Daryl David

« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2013, 11:34:20 PM »
Thanks, Daryl.  I looked at weather.com this evening, which said it was blowing NW 20 mph right now, so the wind must have picked up, as 20 mph is a significant challenge.  10-12 mph is very manageable.

I'm sure you enjoyed watching the players play the course.  Thanks for checking in.

Yes, it did get a little breezy toward 5pm, but nothing like being at Pac Dunes or Ballyneal.  Tumble Creek has extremely wide driving areas so wind was not a big deal off the tee.  The par 3s were a bit tricky as 3 of them play cross wind.  Those greens were tough to hit and hold.  It seemed a lot of shots were lost around the greens with missed judged pitch shots.  Either woefully short or running far past the hole. One exception was eventual qualifier Cheng-Tsung Pan from UofW.  His short game was excellent with pitch-in birdies on 11 and 16 in the second round after ending up with very tough short side lies.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2013, 12:29:49 AM by Daryl David »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back