News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Wayne Wiggins, Jr.

White Manor vs. Applebrook
« on: June 03, 2013, 11:55:16 AM »
Friends of mine in the Philly area, who are a bit myopic in their views, don't believe me when i say there are learned people who say the "new" White Manor is really good.  They're remembering the course prior to Weed's redo, and I'm apt to agree w/ them as I haven't played WM in probably 20 years.  So, those who know or have played both, how does it compare to Applebrook, which is of the same "vintage" as the redo and in the same general vicinity?  10 rounds, how would you break them up?

Dan Boerger

Re: White Manor vs. Applebrook
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2013, 12:14:42 PM »
Excellent question - two very different courses. Applebrook wide open, even links-like, whereas White Manor a distinctive parkland feel. But, if pressed for an answer 6 WM, 4 Applebrook. I would, perhaps, give the nod to Applebrook on the par 3's however.

The new White Major IS really good, IMO.
"Man should practice moderation in all things, including moderation."  Mark Twain

Chris Roselle

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2013, 12:15:54 PM »
7 at Applebrook and 3 at White Manor.  Nothing against White Manor, excellent redo imo, I just happen to love Applebrook and find scoring a little bit easier there. 

mike_malone

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2013, 12:56:42 PM »
 Both are fun to play and provide a different feel, so 5/5 is my wimpy answer.
AKA Mayday

Wayne Wiggins, Jr.

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2013, 03:41:05 PM »
thanks everyone for the insight. 

Ed Brzezowski

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2013, 06:40:15 PM »
Spent the day at White Manor.   It's a tough call, it was in beautiful shape. I have played both so 5-5. Unless the feet are hurting. White Manor is a tougher walk.
We have a pool and a pond, the pond would be good for you.

Ian Larson

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2013, 08:38:25 PM »
I can't really compare the two and love them both just as much as the other for different reasons. If I were at gunpoint I'd choose Applebrook. I just spent the winter and spring there finishing up the bunker renovation and building their new short game area for them. It was cool to work with Jim Wagner a couple days shaping and throwing around ideas on incorporating all the different shots on the course before he went down to start Doral.

Mark McKeever

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2013, 10:18:01 AM »
I'd give the edge to Applebrook, the routing is great and they have a SOLID set of par 3's.

6-4 Applebrook

Mark
Best MGA showers - Bayonne

"Dude, he's a total d***"

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2013, 08:54:31 PM »
I have played neither, but The Black Hand told me 7-3 White Manor today....

Joe Bausch

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2013, 09:03:17 PM »

They'd be a 5-5 split for me.  I really like both.
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2013, 09:09:28 PM »

They'd be a 5-5 split for me.  I really like both.

Pine Valley vs Merion ??  ;)

Mike Viscusi

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2013, 09:48:36 AM »
I'm a big fan of both courses and both architects (Hanse and Weed) but I'd lean 7-3 for Applebrook.  Both are fun but Applebrook's routing offers much more directional variety compared to WM's back and forth layout.  I also think WM feels a little cramped in spots.

I'm not a fan of the tee shot at 13 at WM and I don't really care for 9 and 18, which are parallel par 4's of similar length that both run in the same direction.  Both are fine enough holes on their own, but I have an issue with parallel holes that run the same direction over the same exact land.

Overall, I just don't see any real weak spots at Applebrook (aside from some of the perimeter house views).  Heck, I might even go 8-2 for Applebrook because I think it's that good.

Joe Bausch

@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

George Pazin

« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2013, 12:37:30 PM »
When I grow up, I wanna be Joe Bausch.

Thanks for the pix.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Nate Oxman

« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2013, 06:52:55 PM »
I say 7-3 in favor of Applebrook. White Manor's greens are a little on the goofy side and 18 is a pretty mundane finishing hole. They're both fun to play though.

JESII

« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2013, 08:34:51 PM »
I like White Manor...never played it before the renovation but have played it a handful of times since. It's really good...but...I love Applebrook.

8-2 for me.

mike_malone

« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2013, 09:30:56 PM »
Jim
Have you played any good competitive rounds at Applebrook?
AKA Mayday

JESII

« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2013, 08:42:38 AM »
Yes

mike_malone

« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2013, 05:27:33 PM »
Jim
Your response reminds me of a story about Ray Thompson (a very good local amateur in Pa.) who sat next to me in the office. Question from me at about mid morning " where were you yesterday?"; his answer "Pine Valley"; "what did you shoot?" "69"  then he went back to smoking his cigarette  

I believe Jim won a major tournament at Applebrook either a Philly Am or Open or even a state tourney.
AKA Mayday

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back