News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

jeffwarne

Modern punchbowl greens
« on: June 01, 2013, 08:42:02 PM »
What are some examples?
Whats has their acceptance been by
a. GCAers
b. non GCAers

#9 at Ballyneal looks pretty cool
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Mark Saltzman

Re: Modern punchbowl greens
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2013, 08:50:11 PM »
Jeff, there is a very, very cool punchbowl at Soule Park in California. I don't know if it was added as part of the Hanse green renovation or is part of the original design.

I'll try to think of others.

Brad Tufts

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2013, 09:07:35 PM »
#4, the "Green Monster" hole at Black Rock CC in Hingham, MA...profiled on GCA by Ran.

#15 at Waverly Oaks in Plymouth, MA is a punchbowl.

Both by Silva in Raynor-esque style...I would imagine there is one at Black Creek in TN.
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Bill Brightly

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2013, 09:14:14 PM »
18 at Old Macdonald

Daryl David

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2013, 09:14:54 PM »
#18 at Cape Kidnappers. Very cool.

Tim Martin

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2013, 09:22:09 PM »

Bryan Icenhower

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2013, 09:25:15 PM »
Rivermont had one on the redesigned 9th
GCAers liked it more than non GCAers ... but in the end the green was redesigned.

Needless to say, Chris Cupit can weigh in more here.

jeffwarne

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2013, 09:26:36 PM »

That's ok, I just assumed you were really old and/or a member at St. Andrews or Muirfield ;) ;)

Mike Young's Longshadow #17?
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Bill_McBride

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2013, 09:44:01 PM »
#17 at the new Pensacola CC (Jerry Pate, Steve Dana 2005) is 455 tips/419 blue/335 white with a Cape tee shot R-L and deep punch bowl green.  GCAers have enjoyed playing it.

Tim Martin

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2013, 10:11:35 PM »

That's ok, I just assumed you were really old and/or a member at St. Andrews or Muirfield ;) ;)

Mike Young's Longshadow #17?

;D-Boston Golf Club #15 is an adventurous par 5 with plenty of ways to play the hole. The green is considered a semi-punch bowl but I would think this would qualify.

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2013, 10:24:28 PM »
Hanse built a punchbowl at French Creek #9 (http://myphillygolf.com/uploads/bausch/FrenchCreek/pages/page_86.html?)

He also built one at #13 (http://myphillygolf.com/uploads/bausch/FrenchCreek/pages/page_128.html)

They play wonderfully, and the members and GCA folks love it.  And, yes - you can use them as a backboard.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2013, 10:33:20 PM by Dan Herrmann »

Bill_McBride

« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2013, 10:29:57 PM »
#13 at Tobacco Road has a diminutive punchbowl green that's akin to a catcher's mitt.  Must be impossible to get on in two with a fairway wood, the punchbowl shoulders are like ramparts.  Fun hole. 

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2013, 10:32:19 PM »
There's a great one at Highlands Links, but I forget which hole.

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2013, 07:45:32 AM »
Jim Engh's Blackstone, Lakota Canyon and Pradera have Punchbowl greens.
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Dan_Callahan

« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2013, 08:47:15 AM »
The punchbowl has become a standard feature on Silva courses. Red Tail's 14th features one, as does the 10th at Renaissance. Both courses are in Massachusetts.

Brad Isaacs

« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2013, 08:56:12 AM »
Wine Valley #7, a downwind reachable par 5 with punchbowl green, and fun to play as well!

JC Jones

« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2013, 09:14:10 AM »
Kingsley Club has some great ones.  #5 is pure and so is #18.  #'s 1 and 4 are also great though less pure punch bowl.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2013, 11:55:42 AM »
I've built a handful of them.

High Pointe #10 was a natural, true punchbowl ... we just ran a drain up underneath it just in case.  The problem with that is potential ice damage in the winter, but they never lost grass there as long as the course was open.

The left side of Old Macdonald #3 is also a natural punchbowl with a drain underneath ... however with all the water that comes off the hillside, I'm told there have been days where the maintenance crew will come over the hill and find a frozen pond on the left side of the green in the morning!  They have to bust up the ice and sump pump the water before the golfers get there.

#9 at Ballyneal is a punchbowl, although I thought of #15 and #3 before it, when thinking of that course.  The 18th at Old Mac and the 18th at Cape Kidnappers are personal favorites.  Also, St. Andrews Beach #3 and #5, and Barnbougle #4 and #5.  And we've got a couple we've shaped at our new project in N.Z., Tara-iti ... #3 is a great long par-4 with a low green near the beach, and #9 is a really narrow punchbowl up in the dunes by the clubhouse.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2013, 12:00:42 PM by Tom_Doak »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back