News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve_ Shaffer

"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Cliff Hamm

Re: Public Transportation for the US Open
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2013, 09:06:06 AM »
Planning on going on Thursday and parking at the Norristown Transportation Center likely around 9.  Anyone have an idea of how crowded this lot gets?  Should I plan on getting there earlier to be sure to get a spot?

Thanks!

Joe Bausch

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2013, 09:24:44 AM »
Planning on going on Thursday and parking at the Norristown Transportation Center likely around 9.  Anyone have an idea of how crowded this lot gets?  Should I plan on getting there earlier to be sure to get a spot?

Thanks!

I'd go earlier Cliff just to be safe.  If full, drive down to the next station on the line with a parking lot.  Rinse and repeat.
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Cliff Hamm

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2013, 09:41:15 AM »
Thanks Joe...I suspect Thursday and Friday will overwhelm the system with commuters and golf fans unless a particular station has much excess parking.

Mike Hendren

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2013, 10:02:28 AM »
I'm concerned.  Hillbillies are afraid of commuter trains.

Bogey
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Michael Blake

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2013, 10:58:24 AM »

Thanks!

It gets pretty crowded--commuters to Philly.  Though it does have a good-sized parking garage so you should be ok.  I forget the rate.
I'm taking the same line to the tournament but I plan to take a much earlier train.  Maybe 6 am or so.

Jim Sherma

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2013, 12:06:48 PM »
If I parked downtown what is the timing to get out to the course via mass transit. I assume the trains can be picked up at Market East or Suburban station.

Michael Blake

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2013, 12:19:28 PM »
If I parked downtown what is the timing to get out to the course via mass transit. I assume the trains can be picked up at Market East or Suburban station.

Two legs to the trip.
Weekday, around 15 minutes from Suburban to 69th st.  Then about 10 minutes to final destination, Ardmore Ave station.

Joe Bausch

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2013, 12:29:39 PM »

Two legs to the trip.
Weekday, around 15 minutes from Suburban to 69th st.  Then about 10 minutes to final destination, Ardmore Ave station.

Jim, Mike's info is if you take the El subway out to 69th street terminal, then the R100 out to the Ardmore stop (right next to the 12th green).  If you get lucky that trip would take about 1h.

Probably a better way for you, since at the Suburban Station or Market East is take the regional rail line to Paoli (it used to be called the R5 Paoli line; I forget the exact name now) out to the Rosemont Station.  There will be free shuttles running all the time from the R5 Rosemont station to Merion (I don't know, maybe 10 minutes top on the shuttle).  Your ride out on the R5 is about 40 min I think.
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back