News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bill Shamleffer

Bellerive
« on: May 24, 2013, 09:15:00 PM »
I have not been on Bellerive CC since 1999.  Watching the course on TV this week I really like the look of this course.  In the past I was one never to compliment Bellerive.  I always considered it a very hard, but unimaginative course.  I would still rather play St. Louis CC, Westwood, or Glen Echo over Bellerive.  However, I also do not have the game for a big course.  For championship golf Bellerive is a good and fair test.  However, I also think that the changes they have made the last few years have made it into a very good championship course.

The bunkers look more interesting and some seem to have more depth.  Next there seems to be more going on with the greens then I remember.  The driving game may still be the simplest (but difficult) part of Bellerive.  Very little strategy is required from the tee shots, just hit it long and straight.

I think this course will be a great test when it hosts the PGA Champtionship a few years from now.

For those who have played this course in the last few years, and also played it before the most recent renovations I would be very interested in your comments.
“The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but that's the way to bet.”  Damon Runyon

David Amarnek

Re: Bellerive
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2013, 09:51:56 PM »
I brought my 8 y.o. son over there today to see his very first golf tournament.  What a perfect day for golf.
The course is looking good, especially considering the strange Spring we've had.  Some hot days (record setting heat recently), some quite cool.  Lots of rain lately also.
Bill nailed Bellerive as a good and fair test of golf.  Lacking strategy off the tees and much easier to play if one can bomb a drive out there.  The greens have recovered nicely from a few years ago when they were stressed and in sad shape.  The new superintendent seems to have things well under control.  I believe he may have come from Southern Hills (?).
The greens tend to be a bit repetitive for my taste: very wide and somewhat shallow, albeit with some decent "greens within a green".
Aesthetically, I believe the prior set-up was nicer.  I, for one, miss that pond on #17, although I do like the tree clearing on #2 quite a bit.
The rough seemed pretty manageable from the play that I saw.
BTW, I saw some list of Gary Player's saying that Bellerive was one of his favorite courses in the world.  It's where he completed his career grand slam.

Tom Walsh

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2013, 01:27:25 PM »
I went on Friday after school, late afternoon. Followed Haas, Cochran, Perry, Forsman, Ozaki, KIte, Jerry Pate, North, local hero Tom Wargo (he won the '93 event as a club pro). The weather was delightful--70, not a cloud in the sky.

Does Joe Ozaki have the worst swing of a world class player? He shot 67 today (What do I know?)

Anyway I agree with the above comments--fairways and greens perfect, light, not deep rough. Plenty of room off the tees. Extra deep bunkers.

I love that the Seniors are in St. Louis, and Bellerive is a lush, large venue. A great club. But it is just not that memorable--a bit repetitive. OTOH being up close to great players is a thrill. These seniors can flat out play--they stripe it.
"vado pro vexillum!"

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2013, 08:25:49 PM »
David - Gary Player says that about every course he plays.  

FWIW, I wasn't impressed by the course.   Seemed too "dark ages" to me.

Jim Franklin

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2013, 10:18:37 AM »
I know they are making changes to the grasses around the bunkers right now and some other changes. Two holes at a time so the membership can still play.
Mr Hurricane

Jason Topp

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2013, 11:11:06 AM »
I did not watch a lot of the coverage but I thought the course generally looked like an exeplar of JTJ design.  I was surprised that the course did not have runway tees.  Did they have them originally?

Terry Lavin

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2013, 11:23:22 AM »
Hard to judge just based on TV, but I'd probably enjoy playing there, if I chose the proper tees, of course.  I watched the last hour or so of the final round and it was hard to watch Perry and Haas, who were puking all over the place, while Idoki played like a machine.  Fun putting stroke, an old-fashioned pop and drop.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Gary Slatter

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2013, 11:37:28 AM »
My wife and I played the course a few years ago, and loved it!  We caught up to two juniors and played 15 holes with them.  Amazingly they knew so much about the course and it's history, often showing us where Gary Player hit a shot from etc.     RTJ doesn't get much support on this site, too bad because many owe him for his keeping golf growing in the so -called dark ages.    To me Bellerive shows RTJ at his finest and is a very enjoyable era golf course.   and we found it memorable !    a great place to raise a family of golfers.
David   Your comment "greens within greens" was right on, and one of the most interesting aspects of it's very large greens , we also enjoy this about the Old Course.
Gary Slatter
gary.slatter@raffles.com

David Amarnek

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2013, 12:28:14 PM »
Gary,
If you loved Bellerive, I wonder what you would think of another RTJ in town, Old Warson CC, which I enjoy much more.
I understand Bellerive is about to undergo a number of additional changes in preparation for the PGA Championship in 2018; not sure exactly what will take place.

Wayne Wiggins, Jr.

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2013, 12:45:44 PM »
Haven't played Bellerive, but was farily impressed w/ Old Warson.  There were a lot of really fun and interesting holes there, while i was expecting a long, slog of a golf course... it wasn't.  And, like many/most places i've encountered it could stand to lose a kazillion trees.  Nonetheless, it was a fun place to play in STL.

Jim Franklin

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2013, 12:46:47 PM »
Their new super, who is doing a remarkable job by the way, came from TPC Las Colinas. The course is much more fun, much firmer and faster than a few years ago.
Mr Hurricane

Matthew Rose

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2013, 04:08:35 PM »
I did not watch a lot of the coverage but I thought the course generally looked like an exeplar of JTJ design.  I was surprised that the course did not have runway tees.  Did they have them originally?

I seem to remember from the '92 PGA that there were a lot of runway tees, most of which are gone now.

I dislike most Reesifications but I actually think Bellerive was improved. I like the look of the bunkers and overall it just seemed more open and wider and some previously hidden hazards were exposed and brought into play.
American-Australian. Trackman Course Guy. Fatalistic sports fan. Drummer. Bass player. Father. Cat lover.

Chris DeToro

« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2013, 06:52:34 PM »
I played the course last November and thought it was a solid track.  Granted it was late November, all of the leaves were down and it was a very windy day so the course didn't quite play how it's meant to I'm sure.  But overall, I thought there were some really good holes out there.  I'd definitely go back in season and give it another shot.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back