News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ash Towe

Bill,

Thanks for the wonderful photos and insightful comments.  Looking forward to the remainder of the thread.

Bill McKinley

Well gents, I tried twice to post the back 9 write up and pics only to be logged out by my server. So after much frustration and thought, here's what I'm gonna do: even though I'm quite confident that all of you prefer my prose to my pics  ;D, I'm gonna get the pics of the back 9 at Shinny up for y'all to look at and save my thoughtful and intelligent analysis for a later date  :)

So here we go...

#10. Par 4. 412. Eastward Ho

#11 Par 3. Hill Head. 155 yards

#12 Par 4. Tuckahoe. 470 yards

View from 13 tee...

#13. Par 4. Road Side. 372 yards

#14 Par 4. Thom's Elbow. 447 yards.

#15. Par 4. Sebonac. 402 yards

#16. Par 5. Shinnecock. 520 yards.

#17. Par 3. Eden. 195 yards

#18. Par 4. Home. 426 yards

Hope you've enjoyed these pics. I will do my best to post insight and analysis as soon as I can and answer any questions that may come up.

Up next, a little place with a neat windmill feature. And no I'm not talking about mini golf. Haha!

2016 Highlights:  Streamsong Blue (3/17); Streamsong Red (3/17); Charles River Club (5/16); The Country Club - Brookline (5/17); Myopia Hunt Club (5/17); Fishers Island Club (5/18); Aronomink GC (10/16); Pine Valley GC (10/17); Somerset Hills CC (10/18)

Patrick_Mucci

Bill,

Great photos.

What's amazing is the great job Shinnecock did with tree removal.

The course looks and plays so much better.

Shinnecock is one of the few courses in the world that can provide a serious challenge to the best golfers in the world while still providing an enjoyable challenge to the broad spectrum of golfers who make up the membership and guests, with little in the way of alterations to the course.

Morgan Clawson

What a great trip!

Love how the Shinny #11 green sits right at the peak and rolls down both sides of the hill.

Surprised we don't see that "template" at more courses.

Bill McKinley

Patrick,

Great analysis of how Shinny plays.  Very true that it is a major test for the best players, but still playable and enjoyable for most all other players.  Not a lot of courses can claim that.

Morgan,

Yes i love the 11th hole.  I would call it a reverse short.  It plays uphill instead of downhill and the green is small as opposed to most shorts that have a rather large putting surface.  Love the runoffs on each side too.  Definitely a thrilling one shotter! 
2016 Highlights:  Streamsong Blue (3/17); Streamsong Red (3/17); Charles River Club (5/16); The Country Club - Brookline (5/17); Myopia Hunt Club (5/17); Fishers Island Club (5/18); Aronomink GC (10/16); Pine Valley GC (10/17); Somerset Hills CC (10/18)

Jeff Taylor

The 11th shows no mercy.
One of the best par 3's I have ever played.

JLahrman

The 11th shows no mercy.

Never played it, but just looking at it I'm not sure I could get on in two, let alone one.

Patrick_Mucci

The 11th shows no mercy.

Jeff,

It's certainly presents a unique challenge.

But, I wonder, if the hole was replicated on a new design today, would it enjoy the same status or would it be villified ?

I can't help thinking that the history of the hole, it's location and pedigree are responsible for it's preservation and status.

I have a hard time imagining it on a modern day resort course, public access course, or even some private courses.

Tom_Doak

#15. Par 4. Sebonac. 402 yards

I must remember to write William Flynn a thank you note for naming his 15th hole after our course.  We must have just missed making it possible to see the clubhouse at Sebonack from that 15th tee.

jkinney

......but, Tom, please be a little more forgiving of Mr. Flynn. Those evergreens to the right of #15 ("Sebonac's") back tee hadn't grown to their full- view -blocking-of- Sebonack's-future-clubhouse- level when he laid out the hole.......and he didn't know that the Shinnecock Indian spelling evidently had the letter "K" at the end (as I didn't, and I've been out there over 40 years)....!!!!!

Patrick_Mucci

JKinney,

When you think about how incredible it is that a string of four courses, of such high quality,  Sebonack, NGLA, SHCC and Southampton are connected as they are, it makes you wonder how many other great courses could be sited in that general area.

With your 40 years of experience, where, in particular,  could other great courses be built ?

jkinney

Pat - There's no land left except up in the Noyack hills - and The Bridge took the best of that. Going back 100-120 years, Shinny & National & Maidstone took the best available land. The only place that intrigues me as a "might'a been" is in the Shinnecock Hills proper - S/SW of and closer to Shinnecock Bay than Shinny. This is the land that Chase painted in his impressionist works. What a links that could have had !

I'm off to Southampton today and will report back w/photos. Will be interesting to see Sebonack's set-up for the Women's Open. Will also shoot National's and Shinny's new back tees.

Patrick_Mucci

JKinney,

I don't mean available land, I meant the land absent the homes.

Can't wait to see the photos

M. Shea Sweeney

« Last Edit: June 02, 2013, 01:44:48 PM by M. Shea Sweeney »

Bill McKinley

I was thinking about Shinnecock today and wondering what the best par 4 is on the course??  Hmmmm.  I think the contenders are 9, 10, & 14. I could be swayed of my opinion but I'd lean toward 10. Blind tee shot with options off the tee. Do you want a longer, more level 2nd or do you want a shorter approach but straight uphill to a skyline green that looks like its about 5 feet deep. Great hole. Now gents, tell me why I'm wrong!  ;D

Carl Nichols

Thanks for these pictures.  I had no idea Maidstone had those dunes!

Patrick_Mucci

I was thinking about Shinnecock today and wondering what the best par 4 is on the course?? 

Hmmmm.  I think the contenders are 9, 10, & 14.

I could be swayed of my opinion but I'd lean toward 10. Blind tee shot with options off the tee.

Do you want a longer, more level 2nd or do you want a shorter approach but straight uphill to a skyline green that looks like its about 5 feet deep. Great hole. Now gents, tell me why I'm wrong!  ;D

I'd add # 18 to the mix, especially given it's signficance as a finishing hole.

# 10 ?

Many think it's too gimmickie and not as pure as # 9 or # 18.

I'm partial to # 9 and # 18, although, there's not a bad hole out there.

Jordan Wall

15 at Shinneock is one of my favorite/best holes on the planet.  In my opinion.  Just incredible.

Bill McKinley

Re: My first trip to The Hamptons --- NGLA 1-3 posted!!
« Reply #43 on: June 08, 2013, 07:15:19 PM »
My much anticipated round at NGLA could not have been more enjoyable.  From the time I turned onto Sebonac Inlet Rd to the time I left the gates, it was just amazing.  Of the 4 rounds that we played on our short little jaunt to Long Island, the one at The National was the last to fall into place.  After playing our round at The Bridge, we were driving to Maidstone when my friend get the confirmation email from our member contact that it was all going to work out.  I was as giddy as a 5 year old on Christmas morning!! ;D

So we arrived at The National, wide eyed and full of anticipation.  It's an interesting feeling to have such anticipation that you know you're going to love the golf course even before you play it, but you're so excited to find out why!  The why part was realized right when I walked up the steps onto the first tee. 

This is the view you're greeted with off to the left of the first tee.  18 green, the iconic giant flag pole and the Peconic Bay...

Then when you look straight ahead low and behold we have the glorious clubhouse and famed windmill in the distance, and oh yeah, the 1st fairway.

The first at NGLA is a short par 4 of about 330 yards. You will want to avoid the center fairway bunker at all costs and most players will be left with a blind approach from inside 100 yards.  Here was my view...

The 1st green is an absolute treasure.  Loads of humps, bumps and internal contours.

The advantage of playing National for the first time was I had little to no idea how bad missing the green would be to my score.  Players that know how tough the green surrounds are now have a certain degree of doubt in their minds when hitting their wedge approach.  Here's a view from behind the green near the 2nd tee...

The 2nd hole is another short par 4 with a blind tee shot.  From the tee you see the fairway well to the right of the line of which your caddie tells you to play.  The ideal line is just to the left edge of the bunker in the center of the picture.  A solid strike of the driver can put you on the green with an eagle chance.  As you can see in the picture, they were working on the windmill fans, which was a tiny bit of a buzzkill but no way was I in any position to care!

I would hit driver every time off the 2nd tee and hope it wasn't into the wind because I would not want to have this nervy pitch onto that gigantic putting surface.  Downhill with nothing in front or behind you to help with depth perception.  And the big green makes it more difficult to focus on where you want to land the ball.  Very cool looking shot though...

The word that comes to mind when describing the 2nd hole is FUN.  It may seem obvious to say but I don't know, I just thought that #2 was loads of fun to play, I'm not exactly sure why, but it just is.
Here's a look back up the hole from the back of the green...

And then we have #3.  Alps.  Incredible!  How someone thought of designing a hole like that in Prestwick, Scotland many many moons ago and then how CB MacDonald saw such a hole and laid it out over this terrain in Southampton, NY is hard to fathom.  When you step on the tee you think, oh this is a nice looking hole that bends to the right and up the hill.
Here's your view from the tee...

But not so fast, this hole doesn't go to the right, it goes over this giant mound straightaway.  Completely blind is the 2nd shot save for the Alps flag positioned in the center of the 60 yard wide green.  If you don't like blind 2nd shots on par 4s, my advice to you is play the 3rd hole at NGLA a bunch of times and see how thrilling it is.  If you still don't like it, then just change your mind, because you're wrong.  ;)
Here's your view from the fairway...

And after scaling the hill, the amazingly awesome green complex comes into view.
Wow moment...

Upon completion of play, players are asked to ring the bell, and you also see the Alps flag in the picture...

One more look at half of the 3rd green, and a view of the famed Redan hole in the distance...

More to come soon...

Michael Whitaker

Re: My first trip to The Hamptons --- NGLA 1-3 Posted!!
« Reply #44 on: June 08, 2013, 08:38:43 PM »
Bill - this is fantastic... GREAT job so far!!!

I had the good fortune of playing NGLA last October and, like you, I was giddy about the visit. I decided not to take pictures during my round because I wanted to focus on the course and observe my playing companions. So, your photo tour will be extra meaningful to me. The only thing about playing NGLA once is that it makes you crave the place even worse than before!!!

I'm going to the Walker Cup in September, so that will help scratch my itch... but, I'm afraid it will be like giving a man dying of thirst a wet washcloth to suck... it will help keep you alive, but just.
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #45 on: June 08, 2013, 09:12:24 PM »
I think the photos need to be re-orfered, by course, as it can be a little confusing to those not familiar with the courses
« Last Edit: June 08, 2013, 10:29:25 PM by Patrick_Mucci »

Bill McKinley

« Reply #46 on: June 08, 2013, 09:31:19 PM »
I think the photos need to be re-orfered, by course, as it canbe a little confusing to those not familiar with the courses

I tend to agree with you on that Pat. I was thinking about the best way to do this post. I chose the "Sheehy" method like his Southern Tour thread. I might just post The National in its own thread now that I'm thinking about it

Eric Smith

« Reply #47 on: June 08, 2013, 09:38:17 PM »
Bill,

Do what you like, of course, but 3,000 + views says that your audience likes the tour just fine as you're presenting it. I know I am enjoying it. Cheers

Bill McKinley

Re: My first trip to The Hamptons --- NGLA 1-3, 4-6 Posted!!
« Reply #48 on: June 09, 2013, 09:53:47 AM »
#4. Par 3, Redan.

After the thrilling Alps, you come upon the outstanding Redan hole.  Since the Redan hole is probably the most copied template hole, there are many conversations as to what the best rendition of the original is.  In fact on a blog that I read, readers were polled on what their favorite Redan hole is and the 4th at NGLA was the favorite amongst those who responded.  

This one has it all, the giant slope to the right and the deep cavernous bunkers from front left and back right.  Missing front left gives you a chance, but missing long and right? No way.
Here's the look from the tee...

Approaching the green from the front right.  Even though the picture flattens it out, you can still see the severe slope from front right to back left...

One more look showing the kickboard and the back bunker that is virtually impossible to get up and down from...

#5. Par 4. Hogsback.

The view of the Hogsback fairway off the tee is shielded by some directional bunkers.  You choose your line based off of those bunkers.  The bold play down the left, but its tough to commit to that shot with your look from the tee.  Most players will hit it out to the right a bit leaving a longer approach.  And most likely your ball will bounce towards the ends of the fairway or the rough due to the upside down bowl nature of the fairway.

The approach plays downhill but semi blind due to a big bunker in the left center of the fairway.
Here's the view from the fairway...

As you get closer to the green here is the look.  It looks similar to #2 in that its an open approach and plays downhill.  There's also not too much behind the green to help with your depth perception.
A low running right to left shot coming in from the right is a fine play here...

One more look at the green complex and the left bunker...

#6. Par 3. Short.

I absolutely loved this hole.  Big surprise, I know.  But what a cool green.  Absolutely enormous and wide.  The yardages won't play too much different, depending on the wind, but the shots you need to play into the hole would change a lot depending on hole location.  After one play it's tough to tell but I would imagine the little front right hand hole location would be really tough to get close to.

From the front right part of the green looking back to the back left hole location...

Neat narrow snaking bunker over the green...

One more look at this great green complex...

Michael Whitaker

Re: My first trip to The Hamptons --- NGLA 1-3, 4-6 Posted!!
« Reply #49 on: June 09, 2013, 10:43:19 AM »
Your pin location on #6 is almost exactly the same one I experienced. It was the one hole all day I played like a champ... hit to four feet and made a 2! Great memory!!!
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back