News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ben Sims

I really like Augusta National, so my yard has the best looking ryegrass in town.

I really like Pac Dunes, so my house is compact with a high density of cool features.

I really like Friars Head, so the shower heads are worth more than the shower itself.

I think there's something to this thread.

Brad Klein

Yup, we live in a modest, self-styled arts & crafts cottage house with all sorts of cheap antiques culled from all over the place. There's no lawn, we have a three-acre wood lot with perennial plant gardens, tall unkempt wild flower grasses and woods, and I've been slowly hacking away some open areas , a trail, and some new garden bed areas for sloppily-kept perennials. The place is a barely-controlled mess. A perfect reflection of my tastes in golf course design. We live nowhere near a golf course, have wacko neighbors with a a kennel, goats, bird sanctuary and 7 cows on both sides of us and state park land across the street and are the next to last house in town.  Only obvious anomaly is the asphalt paved driveway, but stone would not hold the slope.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2013, 06:59:35 PM by Brad Klein »

cary lichtenstein

My house is old world, early 1800's, very Ronald McDonald
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

John Crowley

My MN golf club, Windsong Farm Golf Club, is a modern open “prairie style” course with green complexes somewhat reminiscent of RDGC (overseas member).

Our primary residence is a low profile Frank Lloyd Wright inspired modern home that we built into a slope and surrounded with .5 acre of mass plantings of perennials and various “theme” gardens. Virtually no lawn. My indoor "golf room" has a six hole putting green (11 ft. Stimp) and  a full-swing driving net. 

In the Winter we enjoy the Mid-century modern architecture of Palm Springs, CA.
I also take in the sea air at Torrey Pines.

Michael Wharton-Palmer

House was built in traditional Southern Style during golf golden age...so yes..internally pictures of classic courses hang on the walls and my sun porch is a museum of gold clubs...damn my first wife was correct....I am obsessed.

Brent Hutto

I play at a suburban golf course built in 1960 with a solid but not particularly "exclusive" membership. It's in very good shape having seen extensive renovation about a decade ago. I consider the cost of belonging to my club fairly steep but still within my budget (there are cheaper options around) but worth it due to how much I like the golf course.

I live in a suburban brick home built in 1969 in a solid but not at all trendy neighborhood. It's in very good shape having had an addition and some fairly major structural renovations over the past decade. We thought it was a fairly expensive house when we bought it but now that we've lived there for 15 years it was more than worth the price.

So yeah, I'd say my home and my golf course are cut from very similar cloth quality wise and "place in the pecking order" wise.

Tony_Muldoon

It's an interesting question, but one I prefer to ruminate on rather than go public with.

It has served to remind me that lady luck was very kind in finding my house and the places where I play golf. I don't think there's a disconnect in the choices either.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 12:45:04 PM by Tony_Muldoon »
Let's make GCA grate again!

William_G

It's all about the golf!

Mark McKeever

My house is very much like a classic golf course.

-A classic and historic farm house, built in 1880 close to the center of town
-As land became more expensive and desirable, the excess land was sold off for development
-Meticulously restored in 2004
-All the old world charm with tasteful upgrades

Mark
Best MGA showers - Bayonne

"Dude, he's a total d***"

Michael Huber

I'm considering my first home purchase as we speak.  It would be a pre-1900 4 bedroom home with about 100 feet of river frontage. What that says about my taste in golf architecture, I'm not sure, but it says something.

Howard Riefs

Built in 1929. Similar template to neighboring houses.

Yes, I like Raynor courses.
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Ross Harmon

1950s ranch in a metro setting. Getting ready to begin a remodel/ addition project later this year. The architect I hired (from the local university) wanted to go more modern with the house, but I asked for him to look at the project through the eyes of the original architect (unknown). Have added lots of trees over the years I've lived here for more privacy, guess that's quite a bit different than the wide open links-style courses I prefer.

Art around the house is golf-themed, with paintings/ drawings/ prints from several top courses sprinkled throughout the house. I will be building a golf-themed office in the addition area.

Nigel Islam

I like these features about my house:

I live in on a hilly property with an expansive yard.
No high native grasses.
Ranch house where the ground game can be employed.
Minimalistic in nature on the outside, with lots of substance when you get inside.

I am not fond of the following:

Too many trees in need of removal
Built in the 1980s, a dark period of architecture
Annual fees are on the high side for my area.
Access is poor

Nigel Islam

Built in 1929. Similar template to neighboring houses.

Yes, I like Raynor courses.

That is priceless!

Jason Topp

I have thought about this more than I want to. 

A house is a place to live.  A golf course a journey.  I think of them differently.

I am happy trees were removed from my lot to improve the views.  I am struggling to grow grass in the shade.  My dogs chase away geese.  My house is designed to take maximum advantage of some nice views and is a bit unconventional as a result.  I like similar things in a golf course.

Matthew Mollica

I'm going for the ANGC mix of plants. I have five of the ANGC named hole plants growing in the yard: Azelea,white dogwood, Juniper, Holly, and Magnolia. Additionally we have Oaks, Pines, Crepe Myrtles, Leland Cypress, Red Maple, Cedar, English Boxwoods, Rose bush, a Dandelion or two, and some nice looking plants that I don't know the names. A seasonal stream cuts the front yard with a mix of fescue and common bermuda. The driveway is old school with pea gravel.

Bill, I once toyed with this idea. You need a lot of space if golden bells, pampas, and holly are to look good together, among the thirteen other specimens...

To answer the original question of this thread, my home does not reflect my GCA tastes, but in future my holiday home will, and my garden does. It is full of species indigenous to the Melbourne sandbelt, and my lawn is a firm and fast legend couch, as played upon at Royal Melbourne. If finances allow, the holiday home will be of natural materials, very close to the shore, understated, and hopefully blend well with Nature.

Matthew

"The truth about golf courses has a slightly different expression for every golfer. Which of them, one might ask, is without the most definitive convictions concerning the merits or deficiencies of the links he plays over? Freedom of criticism is one of the last privileges he is likely to forgo."

Scott Sander

I live on a course first built in 1955 by Bill Diddel and radically rebuilt in the 2000's by Pete Dye.
I live in a house first built in 1955 and radically rebuilt in the 2000's.

I'm told the earlier versions of each were low-profile, very solid and unanimously inoffensive.
The latter versions of each are higher-profile, higher-maintenance, and considerably more polarizing.  

I never experienced the earlier versions of either (though I happened to grow up 500 yards from both), and that makes me sad.  I think I would have loved them both.

The latter versions diverge in this regard, I constantly change the house, but I constantly worry that someone will try to change the course.

In conclusion:   My wife picked the house.  Everything above is just a coincidence.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2013, 09:58:46 AM by Scott Sander »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back