News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ted Sturges

Midpines (new photos)
« on: May 15, 2013, 01:27:31 PM »
Ran has posted some new photos of the sporty Midpines course, post Kyle Franz's restoration work there.  If you haven't seen the new pics, have a look.  The course has always been a favorite of mine...now it looks better than ever!  Can't wait to play it during my upcoming visit to the area.

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/courses-by-country/usa/mid-pines/

TS

Thomas Dai

Re: Midpines (new photos)
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2013, 01:40:20 PM »
Wow!

All the best.

Mark McKeever

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2013, 01:59:06 PM »
Wow!  The restoration work looks fantastic!

Mark
Best MGA showers - Bayonne

"Dude, he's a total d***"

Michael Wharton-Palmer

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2013, 02:40:47 PM »
Now that could be the best restoration job ever completed, what a tremendous difference.
Dont get me wrong I have always enjoyed playing Mid Pines, but that transformation is breathtaking, fantastic job.
Does anybody know if they added any length to the course during the restoration.
iam sure it is Ran's report but I was just looking at the photgraphs and was compelled to write asap.

David Stewart

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2013, 03:04:48 PM »
Mid-Pines was always really, really fun. Now it looks the part and has brought back some lost strategy. What an unbelievable job. Can't wait to play it again!

Chris DeNigris

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2013, 03:21:45 PM »
Ted- Thanks for the heads up on the completed work...the pictures are terrific!

Unfortunately if you want to experience the "new" Mid Pines you better hurry- I called for info and found out the course is going to be closed for the summer. May 20 might be the last open day until around Sept.

Yuk- I was already mentally planning a Dormie and Mid Pines combo quick trip  :(

Carl Nichols

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2013, 03:28:12 PM »
Looks great.  Would love to see some more before photos.

Tom Fagerli

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2013, 03:46:41 PM »
Maybe a yard or two here and there added. Nothing major that I noticed the other week.The plan is to lengthen 15 as the 14th tee is in the hooked tee shot zone for 15. Taking away my only chance at birdie it appears.  The course will be closed for about two months while MiniVerde is put in and the greens expanded in some places to recapture lost pin positions. I also believe that the ninth green is going to be redone/maybe relocated as it is not an original Ross green. (Diabolical but not Ross!)
I played there ten days ago and the fairways were great. I can only imagine how good they are going to be in mid-August when they reopen!
Visually the golf course is muy bueno! Great job Kyle and MP/PN staff and management/owners.

Matthew Sander

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2013, 03:53:10 PM »

Unfortunately if you want to experience the "new" Mid Pines you better hurry- I called for info and found out the course is going to be closed for the summer. May 20 might be the last open day until around Sept.

Yuk- I was already mentally planning a Dormie and Mid Pines combo quick trip  :(

We'll be there in early August and were told the course would be re-opening right before our visit.

After seeing the before and after I'm even more excited for our trip!

Mike Hendren

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2013, 04:01:59 PM »
In my opinion, it wasn't broken.  

Oh well, perhaps they can take Tobacco Road and turn it into the previous version of Mid Pines. 

Bogey
« Last Edit: May 15, 2013, 04:08:10 PM by Michael_Hendren »
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Sean_A

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2013, 04:26:40 PM »
Okay, Mid-Pines looks prettier.  BUT, how does it play?  Is the course firmer than it was?  IMO, the biggest problem with the course wasn't the bunkering, it was drainage.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Ashridge, Kennemer, de Pan, Eindhoven, Hilversumche, Royal Ostend & Alnmouth

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2013, 05:51:00 PM »
That certainly looks great - does it play firm and fast? 

Tom Fagerli

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2013, 06:43:45 PM »
Certainly headed towards fast and firm. A couple low spots may be beyond that standard but greens firm and we had firmness the other week even though pretty rainy spring.

Jud_T

« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2013, 07:15:34 PM »
The course looks fantastic.  With Dormie opening, the renovations at #2 and MP does Pinehurst get the Most Improved Award over the past few years?
« Last Edit: May 15, 2013, 07:34:09 PM by Jud T »
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2013, 10:18:34 PM »
And I get invited to go with some guys to play the courses at the Pinehurst Resort other than #2 - I politely declined.

Kevin Lynch

« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2013, 10:31:14 PM »

Yuk- I was already mentally planning a Dormie and Mid Pines combo quick trip  :(

Poor guy.  I hope you can find another course to play in the Pinehurst area if you can't get on Mid Pines.  :)

I think you may be able to find another course in the region, especially as the self-proclaimed Stranz-aholic.

Tom Fagerli

« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2013, 08:31:51 AM »
Was in SPines this weekend. Went out to look at them working on MidPines. They are rocking along! The new ninth green looks to be moved to the right and is smaller. I was told they increased the size once already! The big news is- new fairway grass! This was not an original part of the plan-at least the announced plan. Fascinating to see the work. An untrained eye such as mine has no idea how they are going to bring it all together! I will be back in a couple weeks and hope to  stop by again.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back