News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Pete_Pittock

Macan's Meadowbrook to close
« on: May 22, 2013, 02:38:53 PM »
I met Jim Urbina in the parking lot of Meadowbrook in NE Portland a few years ago to assist him into looking at Macan greens. We walked into the clubhouse of Colwood National (it's current name) and saw an original routing map. Jim took a photo. I hope the plan gets saved. We also looked
at Columbia Edgewater and Riverside before Jim had to return to PDX for his flight.

From an article in today's Oregonian http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2013/05/colwood_national_golf_course_p.html
there is a zoning meeting June 12th, with business, residential and environmental interests all lining up on the approval side.
The 48 acres north of the slough gets zoned industrial, with quick access to the airport. The 90 acres south of the slough becomes a park.

I will be sorry to see it go as it is the scene of my only hole-in-one and my only tournament victory, same event, different years. Of all the non-privates in the Portland area before the growth spurt  Colwood Natl was very nearly the top, along with Eastmoreland.

I am keeping Colwood out of the title because of any potential confusion with Royal Colwood in Victoria.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 09:41:30 PM by Pete_Pittock »

Garland Bayley

Re: Macan's Meadowbrook to close
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2013, 03:04:12 PM »
That's sad news for a lot of people that played there regularly. I played it once during the height of the recession, and the guys I played with were very high on it, expressing that it was always busy. You can see why they were high on it, as the width was capable of containing what may be the worst repeatable slice (not mine, it's not repeatable) I have ever seen.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Emile Bonfiglio

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2013, 08:01:49 PM »
That is a major bummer!. We might have to make a GCA Meetup there before it closes.
You can follow me on twitter @luxhomemagpdx or instagram @option720

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2013, 08:10:57 PM »
That is a major bummer!. We might have to make a GCA Meetup there before it closes.

It has been chopped up, rerouted and is no longer a Macan. I played 9 holes there a few years ago with relatives and came away  depressed.

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2013, 01:07:22 AM »
A fleshed out article appeared in today's Oregonian.
http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2013/05/portland_golf_courses_face_cro.html

I almost choked on my banana when my family's ex-newspaper (my great grandfather was owner/publisher of the Daily Oregonian for fifty years) headlined it as Portland private clubs. The writer, editor and headline editor were clueless as usual. They referred to Colwood as a private club, when it is a privately owned daily-fee course. Deep in the article they listed three other private clubs in the area of Colwood-Broadmoor, Columbia Edgewater and Riverside. The last two are private equity clubs, Broadmoor is another privately-owned daily fee course, who's land is much less developable in terrain and geographic positioning.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2013, 01:38:55 PM »
It was my impression that the other day there was news that Broadmoor also was being sold, and that both courses would be closing. Overheard the conversation in the pro shop at my club, so you can judge reliability on that. May be as reliable as your grandfather's old rag. ;D
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back