News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

jonathan_becker

Barnbougle Lost Farm - C&C - PHOTOS New
« on: May 22, 2013, 12:15:20 PM »
Barnbougle Lost Farm and its 20 holes, as we all know, was done by Bill Coore and sits just east of the original Barnbougle Dunes course with both courses being divided by the inlet that cuts back by #15 tee at BD.  

Variety is a great word at the Barnbougle complex because you’ve got these two world-class golf courses and they couldn’t be more different.  BD essentially has an out-and-back routing for both nines, meanwhile, LF’s routing goes along the coast, inland, back along the coast again, then slightly inland for the remaining couple holes.  Many of the holes at LF run perpendicular to the coast which adds to the variety in trying to club the wind.  Both have great greens with a lot of variety, but they seemed to feel very different on each course, which is a great thing.  BD, the “dunes” part in the name is very true, but the dunes are actually much bigger at LF.  Furthermore, BD has the marram grasses everywhere and LF has the same grass, but it also features a gorse-like junk that is literally impenetrable in a few spots. Maybe someone else can name the exact wording.   You’ll see in the photos, but on holes like #13, the stuff frames the hole like stadium seating.  I thought it was a cool look.  

This Australia trip was my first golf trip outside of the USA, and after playing so many world-class courses in a matter of less than two weeks, LF is a course I really want to play again.  It’s not that I can’t decipher what I saw during my trip, but after only playing 29 holes at LF then having to sprint to the airport in Launceston, I keep thinking about the routing on the last 10 holes.  I’m not going to say it’s odd, but I just can’t really make up my mind about the flatter hole stretch in holes 10, 11, 12, and 16.  Are they a good use of the flatter part of the site, or are they connector holes to the rest of the round?  Also, the 20 hole layout might have confused my internal clock about the routing in that by the time I reached the 15th green by the restaurant/clubhouse, I felt like the round should have been over.  I’ve played other courses like Canterbury and The Valley Club where you go back to the clubhouse late in the round, then out for a couple more holes, but I didn’t feel finished at those places like I did at LF.  Maybe fatigue played a part, too. Who can say?

Having said all that though, I thought the front was awesome, and the interest starts right at the first tee.  Being aggressive and challenging the left fw bunkering gives the player an opportunity for a clean look at hitting the green in two, while playing safely out to the right the player must consider covering the right greenside bunker in an attempt to hit the green.  I thought that the knob in front of #3 green reminded me a bit of the knob in front of #5 green at Friar’s Head.  It’s funny how one bump can dictate so much in regards to trying to drive a green.  The par 3 4th open up to the huge water views and the interesting 5th takes the players drive over an absolutely huge dune on the right.  Taking the drive over the dune serves as a kickboard to extra distance, meanwhile, too far right and you’re in the inlet that separates the two courses.  #7 is relatively flat in parts with it’s 100 yard wide fw, but that bump/ridge in the middle of the fw really added at lot of interest.  Being right is safe but you might have a blocked view, but going left gives the player a clear look.  On the back, like previously stated, I really enjoyed the 13th with it’s stadium framing junk around the hole, the driveable 14th going back towards the ocean gives a bail-out left, but the green sits high above the bailout for a tough second, and the 15th is a beautiful par 3 where the tee shot sits up on a seaside dune and plays down towards the green near the restaurant.  18 was a good closing hole that hugged the beach dunes that gives the player one last test before coming up on the little betting hole in 18A.
I’ll put up a couple shots of each hole now and I think that LF is a really good course with huge fws and huge expansive greens, it’s worthy of a world top 100 designation, it’s completely different that BD, but I need another look at it to make up my mind about the flatter holes in 10, 11, 12, and 16.  Right now, I’ll give BD the nod as the better of the two courses.

To everyone, feel free to correct me or comment as you please, but without further ado, enjoy these photos of the stunningly beautiful Barnbougle Lost Farm!

Opening tee shot

Left of green

Big FW bunker in on 2

Huge green from the right

The drivable 3rd

Looking back with that knob in front

The beautiful 4th tee

Zoomed from the morning round

The inlet back by 4 green

5 tee over the dune

Looking back….5 also featured a huge green with a lot of variety

Short of the par 3 6th

Looking back towards the huge green en route to the 7th tee

The knob/rise in the 7th fw

7 green

Over the rise on the par 5 8th

Greensite

9th back towards the clubhouse

Split fw

Par 5 10th tee that bends left

Looking back

11 tee – go over the bunkers

Greensite

Par 5 12th tee

Third shot

13 tee – the stadium type hole

Approach

Looking back

Looking back from up by 13A

Par 3 13A tee

The shitter and rain shelter

14 tee – Boom!

A miss left of the green

Walk to 15

Par 3 15th

Green

Pretty cool shots over by the beach

16 tee

Greensite

Par 3 17th tee up the hill

Greensite

18 tee

Approach

18A – short par 3

Looking back

« Last Edit: May 25, 2013, 10:22:47 AM by jonathan_becker »

Greg Tallman

Re: Barnbougle Lost Farm - C&C - PHOTOS
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2013, 12:24:28 PM »
Was the hole location on #1 as crazy as it looks in the photo?

jonathan_becker

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2013, 12:27:23 PM »
Was the hole location on #1 as crazy as it looks in the photo?

No.  Here it is again from another angle

Thomas Dai

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2013, 12:53:28 PM »
Great photos Jonathan, thanks for posting. Looks a terrific place, hope you didn't bump into any snakes while you were there!

All the best

jonathan_becker

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2013, 12:55:40 PM »
Thanks, Thomas.

I didn't see any snakes at LF, but they were definitely around.  I ran into a Tiger snake on #5 at BD!

Thomas Dai

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2013, 01:08:05 PM »
"I ran into a Tiger snake on #5 at BD!"........I take it you didn't hang around long enough to ask its name?! I've seen a few Aussie snakes myself, no like at all! Seen loads of dead ones on the roads as well, I guess they slither out to eat any roadkill and then get run-over themselves.

All the best

Michael Wharton-Palmer

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2013, 03:31:59 PM »
Holy s#%@...that looks absolutely amazing.
I am headed that way next March now even more excited than ever....thank you so much for the wonderful photographs.

jonathan_becker

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2013, 06:38:36 PM »
Holy s#%@...that looks absolutely amazing.

That's pretty much what I said in person.

Scott Warren

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2013, 07:52:37 PM »
Some nice pics, Jono. Small clarification: BLF is Coore alone, not Crenshaw involvement.

I agree about the routing, walking under the clubhouse at 15 feels weird, perhaps because you have covered more ground than usual to get there.

Building 20 holes was a mistake and if most other architects had done what Coore did at Bridport, they'd have been pilloried. 18a is a nothing golf hole, and while 13a is probably the best three on the back nine ("back 11"!), it does mess with the balance a bit.

That said, I really like the course and think it has some incredible holes, especially on the front nine.

Were I the owner, I'd lose the 9th, build a new hole from near the 8th green to the existing 10th green (would be much the same distance as the current 10th), bring 13a into the permanent rotation and bulldoze 18a (or turn it into a chipping green).

On a property with so many fantastic short fours (3, 4, 12, 15 at BD, 2, 3, 14 at BLF) the 9th at Lost Farm is all the more conspicuous as a disappointment.

jonathan_becker

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2013, 09:20:57 PM »
Scott,  thanks for the correction about Crenshaw.  I forgot about that!

You're not the first person that's mentioned to me about 9 just being a way to get back to the clubhouse and I'll agree it's lackluster.  As for the 20 holes, on the drive back to Launceston I kept thinking about what the course would've been like with just one less hole.  After a while on the back i didn't know what hole was what and had to keep glancing at the card.  Maybe that's my fault though.  18a is throwaway but would still be cool to have as a tiebreaker.  So, where does that one hole get removed or where does  the routing detour for the 18 holes?  Hmmmmmm.

I think we all can agree though that LF is full of great vistas and is still an incredible day of golf and i would put it in my top 25 courses played.  It's just that the neighbor course is so good that it's tough to top.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 09:58:38 PM by jonathan_becker »

Eric Smith

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2013, 10:04:29 AM »
JB - If you had another 36 hole day here would you spend it at Barnbougle Dunes exclusively or split time between the two courses?

Scott Warren

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2013, 10:26:42 AM »
Jono,

I guess I just dont see the need for some poxy little "tiebreaker hole". If you're that desperate to break a tie play 1 again. Or 16-18 given walking off 18 green you're right next to 16. Or if you really must break a tie, just toss a coin.

This is kinda what I mean about Coore getting a pass - all of your reasoned debate amounts to something not being right, but then you surmise that it's a cool thing anyway.

The back nine at BLF confuses and grates a little for me, maybe because:

1. You begin it having just played the 9th.
2. 13 is flat and boring with little that is memorable.
3. 15 is like 16 over the river and the complex didnt need two of that hole.
4. Being at the house after playing 16 holes, the last of which leaves you flat,  you kinda feel finished but have 3-4 holes to go.

Despite that, BLF is comfortably among the top handful in Aus and I am being a bit blunt/harsh in an effort to make my point that there is something that doesnt work about the back nine/eleven as it stands.

jonathan_becker

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2013, 10:42:36 AM »
JB - If you had another 36 hole day here would you spend it at Barnbougle Dunes exclusively or split time between the two courses?

I played 27 at BD the first day, then 29 at LF the next day, so if I could play them both in a day I would definitely do it since I haven't done it yet.

Right now though, as I see it, in the long run, I would probably play BD 7 times out of every 10 opportunities.

jonathan_becker

« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2013, 10:53:56 AM »
Jono,

I guess I just dont see the need for some poxy little "tiebreaker hole". If you're that desperate to break a tie play 1 again. Or 16-18 given walking off 18 green you're right next to 16. Or if you really must break a tie, just toss a coin.

That's fine and I totally get that.

This is kinda what I mean about Coore getting a pass - all of your reasoned debate amounts to something not being right, but then you surmise that it's a cool thing anyway.

You're right, I did, but I should have explained further in that I don't mind an extra little hole as long as it's not a part of the real golf course.  Places like Sebonack and Stone Eagle have a 19th hole, but it's not a part of the main routing.  I guess though, there really isn't another place to put 18A other than right in front of the clubhouse!  So the next time I play LF, I'll just skip it  ;)

The back nine at BLF confuses and grates a little for me, maybe because:

1. You begin it having just played the 9th.
2. 13 is flat and boring with little that is memorable.
3. 15 is like 16 over the river and the complex didnt need two of that hole.
4. Being at the house after playing 16 holes, the last of which leaves you flat,  you kinda feel finished but have 3-4 holes to go.

I agree with your points except I did like the look of the junk surrounding the 13th.  You really have to hit a poor shot to find it, but I thought it framed the hole in a cool way like a crowd of sorts watching.  That's why I referred to it as a stadium type of setting.  

Despite that, BLF is comfortably among the top handful in Aus and I am being a bit blunt/harsh in an effort to make my point that there is something that doesnt work about the back nine/eleven as it stands.

LF is really good, but when compared to the other greats in Australia, you have pick it apart somewhere.  It's still an excellent day outdoors and I would never skip playing it on a return trip to the resort.  I would always play it at least once

« Last Edit: May 23, 2013, 10:56:55 AM by jonathan_becker »

Bill Brightly

« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2013, 07:15:43 PM »
Does Lost Farm still have that crazy crow who steals golf balls?

Scott Warren

« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2013, 08:21:18 PM »
Bill,

Australia is full of golf ball-stealing crows. I assumed that happened everywhere. Not in the US?

Bill Brightly

« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2013, 09:38:48 PM »
I dont know of any crows in US that steal balls. Michael Taylor said the crows in Melbourne steal, but not in Sydney... True?

Scott Warren

« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2013, 10:40:19 PM »
Nah,

Growing up in western Sydney it was a common annoyance.

My wife once wrote a story for her newspaper about a blole who cut down a big palm in his front yard and it had literally hundreds of golf balls in it.

We get the occasional crow at Bonnie Doon that goes for your ball.

Brett_Morrissy

« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2013, 09:45:05 AM »
Lost Farm continues to improve in my eyes every time I go down there. ( as does StAB for that matter)

I find the extra holes a disappointment.

I do love short holes, but the mix for me on the front nine is too bundled, or should I say I would prefer them spread out a little more thru the routing...I see 4 short(er) holes to start, followed by 4 long(er) holes

I really wish the p3 # 4 was longer - too many short ones in a row. I know it is toward the prevailing, but I don't see it much.
We had a northerly down there the other week - man #6 was tough into a pin tucked in behind the bunker, but exciting.

I don't hate 9 like Scottie, again, the hardest pin I've ever seen at LF on the back left corner, difficult par.

One of my favourite holes in a great 3 hole finish is #16. Love it's subtlety and I play it well for some reason.

I described the two courses the other week ~ as BD is the spectacular/awesome course, and will always be the majority golfers favourite, and for me LF is cool/interesting - it. Will grow on many visitors over time, but for the 1-2 visitor, I don't think it will ever beat BD. more the pity. I think both could do with a little 'editing' over the next few years. LF more than BD.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2013, 09:47:28 AM by Brett Morrissy »
@theflatsticker

Jason Thurman

« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2013, 10:13:09 AM »
How do you proceed under the rules if a crow steals your ball? Do you drop a new one, or does it count as a lost ball? Any penalty strokes?

I've never been there. The pics look very cool. It's a little odd to hear complaints about "bonus" holes. Are you guys factoring them into your overall assessment of the course? That seems a bit like taking a good album down a few notches because it has a crappy hidden track 5 minutes after the last song ends.
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

Brett_Morrissy

« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2013, 10:18:41 AM »
Jason, it is weird, especially with 13a, some groups play it, some don't, it kind of sits across the shortest route to the 14th tee, walk back to tee, walk back from green to next tee.
So, for me, it really blocks the flow for me, I'd rather it wasn't there. So, whether I play it or not(rarely putt out), it breaks the routing, so it is a negative for me.

Outside influence, reload your ball, the problem can be that you don't know your ball is gone until you get over a hump in the fairway and can't find your ball, but if you see crows flying around, it is a bad sign. I didn't see any down there two weeks ago.
@theflatsticker

Brett_Morrissy

« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2013, 10:20:29 AM »
Crappy hidden tracks - you wonder, why did they put that on there, but these holes aren't buried 5 minutes after the last track, they are front and centre and on the score card, so gotta take all the tracks as listed, right?
@theflatsticker

jonathan_becker

« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2013, 10:57:35 AM »
Crappy hidden tracks - you wonder, why did they put that on there, but these holes aren't buried 5 minutes after the last track, they are front and centre and on the score card, so gotta take all the tracks as listed, right?

That's very true.  One other thing to note that threw me off, if there are two holes, like 13 and 13A, in my mind, they should have been labeled 13A and 13B.  "A" seems like the logical label for the first of the two 13s.  That's why I kept glancing at the card to make sure I knew what hole I was on.

But, I've been told I'm an idiot at times so who can say?  :)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back