News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bill Shamleffer

Merion 1971 US Open
« on: May 22, 2013, 06:58:33 AM »
Next Tuesday (5/28/2013) at 8:00 pm, The Golf Channel will air as part of their Greatest Rounds Ever series the 1971 US Open.
“The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but that's the way to bet.”  Damon Runyon

Thomas Dai

Re: Merion 1971 US Open
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2013, 08:11:34 AM »
Was 1971 the year Lee Trevino threw a rubber snake at Jack Nicklaus on the 1st tee of the playoff or was that on some other occasion/championship?

Also, slightly off thread, but when did Merion switch from being Merion Cricket Club to Merion Golf Club and is cricket still played at the Club in some capacity? Just curious.

All the best

Joe Bausch

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2013, 10:22:31 AM »
Was 1971 the year Lee Trevino threw a rubber snake at Jack Nicklaus on the 1st tee of the playoff or was that on some other occasion/championship?

Also, slightly off thread, but when did Merion switch from being Merion Cricket Club to Merion Golf Club and is cricket still played at the Club in some capacity? Just curious.

All the best

Answers to your three questions:

1.  Yes.
2.  I think this was December 7, 1941.
3.  Yes, cricket is still played at the Merion Cricket Club.  Not at the Merion Golf Club.
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Mark Buzminski

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2013, 11:26:01 AM »
Good show.  Last night I watched the 2006 Winged Foot "U.S. Open.....disaster" (as Monty called it).   It was still a compelling spectacle to behold.

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2013, 01:52:38 PM »
I went to this tournament as a 14 year old.   I spent the summer in Washington DC and somehow talked my mother into driving up for the Sunday round.

It was really hot and I had no idea what to look for.   Jim Simons was an amateur and was leading after 54 holes by 2 shots.

We ended up sitting between the clubhouse and the 18th green to watch the final groups play in.   My little claim to shame is that when Nicklaus putted out on the 18th, (he missed his birdie to win) I rushed the green and was the first person to shake his hand.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2013, 04:27:10 PM »
My little claim to shame is that when Nicklaus putted out on the 18th, (he missed his birdie to win) I rushed the green and was the first person to shake his hand.

At least you are not the kid who fell out of the tree while Trevino was standing over HIS birdie putt to win.

Mike_Clayton

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2013, 05:25:22 PM »
Mark.

Every shot makes somebody happy - it wasn't a disaster for Geoff Ogilvy, who happened to be the only bloke who managed to keep his head under the pressure.

Mark Buzminski

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2013, 07:04:15 PM »
Mark.

Every shot makes somebody happy - it wasn't a disaster for Geoff Ogilvy, who happened to be the only bloke who managed to keep his head under the pressure.

No question.   I just thought Monty's quote was darkly humorous in a way.   I'm paraphrasing, but it was something in the vein of "I can't wait to come back next year for another U.S. Open.....(pause)......disaster".      I had forgotten how many camera shots there were of Ogilvy in the WF clubhouse, really showing utter shock as the rest of the contenders all folded under the pressure, one by one.   

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back