News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ricardo Ramirez Calvo

Clubhouses
« on: May 21, 2013, 04:09:42 PM »
Clubhouses are an integral part of golf. Even though not part of the game itself, we all spend a lot of time at clubhouses. I thought it would be interesting to post photos of clubhouses of our home clubs, aroung our area, clubhouses we like or for whatever reason. I hope it's not a boring thread.

I'll start with some photos of the Clubhouse of the Mar del Plata Golf Club, one of my home clubs in Argentina:

Ricardo

Ricardo Ramirez Calvo

Re: Clubhouses
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2013, 04:42:46 PM »
Marayui Country Club:

Ricardo

Ricardo Ramirez Calvo

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2013, 04:45:24 PM »
San Andrés Golf Club:

Ricardo

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2013, 05:49:39 PM »
This has been discussed numerous times.

Here is one thread.

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,50527.0.html

Ricardo Ramirez Calvo

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2013, 06:41:45 PM »
Sorry, I made a search before starting the thread and couldn't find anything. I'll ask the moderator to close it. Apologies.
Ricardo

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2013, 08:23:27 PM »
Sorry, I made a search before starting the thread and couldn't find anything. I'll ask the moderator to close it. Apologies.

Not a problem, clubhouses from Argentina are probably not included.  Every other golf subject known to man has been discussed on this site, sometimes it just takes some searching.  ;)

Mac Plumart

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2013, 08:49:16 PM »
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Keith Phillips

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2013, 09:31:31 PM »
Those photos look great - I'm adding Argentina to my golf bucket list!

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2013, 11:13:02 PM »
Ricardo,

Great looking clubhouses.

Post more if you have them

David_Tepper

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2013, 07:46:38 AM »
Ricardo -

Can you tell us if these clubs were founded by British people living/working in Argentina or if their heritage is Spanish/Latin? The reason I am asking is that the design of these clubhouses reflects what I believe is a classic "British" clubhouse look.

Of course, I have never been to Spain, so I do not know what the clubhouses there look like.

DT   

Ricardo Ramirez Calvo

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2013, 11:51:26 AM »
David,

All of the golf clubs established at the end of the 19th century in Argentina were founded by British (mainly officers of the railroad companies). For example, the Mar del Plata Golf Club (the first set of photos) was founded by the Agar brothers, John Drysdale, V. Scroggie, Frank Henderson and Robert Paton. The San Andrés Golf Club, to which the third clubhouse posted belongs (which means Saint Andrews in Spanish) was also founded Valentine Scroggie and his friend V.H. Masters. The flag of the Club is the St. Andrews cross. Its course was laid out by Mungo Park, son of Willie Park.

The Hurlingham Club (photos to come) was founded in 1888 by John Ravenscroft. As you see, they were all British. There are many more clubs that were founded by British.

The first truly Argentine golf club (which means founded by Argentines) was the Golf Club Argentino. But the British influence was very strong even in those clubs that were not founded by British and all of them tried to imitate what they saw in Britain.

Ricardo

JMEvensky

« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2013, 12:16:17 PM »
Great pictures and commentary Ricardo.I'm looking forward to more of each.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2013, 12:56:24 PM »
Great pictures and commentary Ricardo.I'm looking forward to more of each.

Me too. Your various recent contributions from Argentina have been most interesting and much appreciated.

All the best

Randy Thompson

« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2013, 12:58:13 PM »
Ricardo,
Do you have one of Martindale, its pretty nice and unique with the copper roof!

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2013, 01:05:22 PM »
Those photos look great - I'm adding Argentina to my golf bucket list!

I'm adding Argentina to my life bucket list... Never mind the golf....

Thomas Dai

« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2013, 01:17:56 PM »
Slightly off-thread, but there were unofficial British and Irish Lions rugby tours to Argentina in 1927 and 1936. A third, this time official, Lions tour combined with some Argentinian golf would be very, very acceptable.

All the best

Niall Hay

« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2013, 01:28:23 PM »

In Ricardo’s defense often times one can search for a thread on a topic and not find it in the search results. Only to later have someone send the link to the exact same topic thread from a previous post.

Ricardo Ramirez Calvo

« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2013, 01:48:35 PM »
Thank you all. I wasn't offended by the remark about this being a topic already discussed. Since I am very new in this blog, I do make mistakes (add to it that English is not my mother language) and my search prior to posting was certainly wrong because I didn't get any past thread.

Anyway, I am happy that some of you like this information. I will post more photos of different clubhouses. I do have pictures from Martindale. That one has a very similar style to the second set of photos already posted. What's more interesting is that both the Marayui Country clubhouse and the Martindale clubhouse were both built as private houses of ranches owned by wealthy families many years ago. A nice reminder of the great country we used to be and a mirror in which we can see our own failure reflected.

Ricardo

Bill Brightly

« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2013, 02:11:37 PM »
Mountain Ridge

Bill Brightly

« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2013, 02:16:45 PM »
Winged Foot

Bill Brightly

« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2013, 02:20:20 PM »
Baltustrol

Alpine (new)

Bill Brightly

« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2013, 02:22:35 PM »
Merion  (Scariest opening ee shot in golf!)

National

Bayonne

« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 02:29:01 PM by Bill Brightly »

Ricardo Ramirez Calvo

« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2013, 02:28:35 PM »
I am planning to play at Winged Foot in October with a friend who's a member. Beautiful images of all the clubhouses.

The following belong to Martindale Country Club, in the suburbs of Buenos Aires.

Ricardo

Mac Plumart

« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2013, 02:29:57 PM »

Chechessee Creek is one of my favorites.

Mac Plumart

« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2013, 02:31:10 PM »
Looking at these photos, got me thinking.

Is there a club you'd travel to, just to spend time in the clubhouse?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back