News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Parker Reeves

OK GCAers, I Need Your Help on our UK Golf Trip
« on: May 20, 2013, 12:20:25 PM »
Hello everyone.  My father and I are going to be heading over to the UK in August.  I have a little work to do over there and luckily, we are going to get to play some golf.  Here is my proposed list of courses.  If anyone has any suggested changes, additions, subtractions, non-golf related activities, etc. I would love to hear them.

When looking at our schedule and time arrangements, here is what we have:

August 14th - AM Work, PM golf near Hoylake

August 15th - AM Work, PM Golf near Hoylake, drive to Scotland afterwards

August 16th - 36 holes - Scotland

August 17th - 36 holes - Scotland

August 18th - 18 or 36 holes - Scotland

Thank you!

-Parker
« Last Edit: May 20, 2013, 02:39:05 PM by Parker Reeves »

Ryan Admussen

Re: OK GCAers, I Need Your Help on our UK Golf Trip
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2013, 12:49:35 PM »
Formby was a very pleasant surprise on my trip last year.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2013, 01:01:17 PM »
Hello everyone.  My father and I are going to be heading over to the UK in August.  I have a little work to do over there and luckily, we are going to get to play some golf.  Here is my proposed list of courses.  If anyone has any suggested changes, additions, subtractions, non-golf related activities, etc. I would love to hear them.

We will play twice in England:

-Royal Birkdale

-Need one more....needs to be within an 1 1/2 hours from Hoylake

5-6 Rounds in Scotland:

-Old Course

-Royal Dornoch

-Turnberry

-Carnoustie

-Need one more (Muirfield, North Berwick, Troon, Cruden Bay, Western Gailes, Nairn, Prestwick, Machrihanish, etc. ??)

Thanks so much for the help!

-Parker

Why not Hoylake (Royal Liverpool)?  Great course.  Wallasey is nearby and is a lot of fun. It was also the second qualifying course when Bobby Jones won the 1930 Open at Hoylake. 

North Berwick and Muirfield before Turnberry in my opinion. Dornoch is a long drive north. 
« Last Edit: May 20, 2013, 01:05:11 PM by Bill_McBride »

Mark Pearce

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2013, 01:27:07 PM »
That's an awful lot of driving.  It's old advice but why not base yourself in one or two areas, rather than driving madly around.  I'd put Prestwick a mile ahead of Turnberry for the experience but would be tempted to base yourself around the East coast.  One thing, though.  Muirfield tends to book up early, the Open is there in July, so no visitor play then.  Before putting it in your plans have you checked to see if there are any tee times available during your visit?
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2013, 01:35:26 PM »
Looks like quite a bit of driving!

Good call by Ryan for Formby when near Birkdale. Formby has on site accommodation too plus another 18th hole course too.

Further up north East coast probably has more opportunities than the West coast. Suggest you don't miss the super-classy Muirfield and the unforgettable Cruden Bay.

Also don't overlook some of the lessor courses sited near to the big names you've already chosen, eg West Lancs, Hillside, S&A near Birkdale. Brora, Golspie, Tain, Fortrose near Dornoch, and between Cruden Bay and Muirfield there's not only TOC and Carnoustie, which you've already got targeted, but also Royal Aberdeen plus the likes of Montrose, Panmuir, Lundin, Levin etc. When at St Andrews don't just play TOC, play some of the others too. Also North Berwick, which isn't far from Muirfield.

Wherever you go, have a great trip, tell us how you got on and post some photos.

All the best.

Mac Plumart

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2013, 01:37:16 PM »
I agree that North Berwick can not be missed.
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Brent Hutto

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2013, 01:44:13 PM »
I'll third or fourth the Formby recommendation. In fact, I'd highly recommend playing 36 holes at Formby, spending the night in their dormy accommodation then playing a round at Birkdale the next morning. Man that's a fun 36 hours.

David_Tepper

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2013, 01:53:28 PM »
Parker R. -

Unless you are traveling by helicopter, you will be doing way too much driving.

In England, after playing Birkdale, play Formby or Hoylake or Lytham-St. Annes or Hillside.

After playing Turnberry, play Prestwick or Western Gailes.

After playing Muirfield (assuming you can get on), play North Berwick or Gullane.

After playing the Old Course (assuming you can get on), play Crail or Kingsbarns.

Think twice about going out of your way to play Carnoustie. ;)

Save Royal Dornoch for your next trip!

DT

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2013, 01:58:31 PM »
Parker - Mark, Thomas and David are correct... your proposed lineup represents a massive amount of ass time in your car driving from one course to the next. That time is better spent in a clubhouse or pub enjoying some of the local "flavor." The biggest mistake most first timers make is trying to squeeze too many "championship" courses into their trip. Listen to the guys on this site and they will help you maximize the enjoyment of your visit.

Formby is a great suggestion for the course to pair with Birkdale. And, staying in a dormy room in the clubhouse is a fantastic experience. Contact the club as they usually have a special "Stay & Play" offer that is a good value.
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2013, 02:07:45 PM »
You are getting great advise. When we went to Dornock, we went for 3 days and played it 5 times. A wonderful way to get to know a great golf course. Concentrate rather than kill yourself. If your dad is young enough, try to play 36 everyday, a 2nd look was always my way to go.
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Dean Stokes

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2013, 02:17:15 PM »
Parker, I would just play Southport and Ainsdale or Hillside, both of which are within 1 mile of Birkdale and both very good. If you are then going to drive to Scotland I would first spend a night in a bed and breakfast in the lake District (maybe Ambleside) to take in some real country flavor and stay up the West Coast of Scotland and do anyone of Turnberry, Troon, Prestwick, Glasgow Gailes or Western Gailes. I can't think of anything much worse than spending too much time in a vehicle on country roads when you have gone that far to play golf!
Living The Dream in The Palm Beaches....golfing, yoga-ing, horsing around and working damn it!!!!!!!

David_Tepper

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2013, 02:28:13 PM »
Parker R. -

As a point or two of information, the drive time from the Turnberry area to Dornoch will be 4 1/2 to 5 hours. The drive from Dornoch to St. Andrews is 3+ hours. Dornoch to Muirfield is probably 4 hours.

Instead of making those drives, you could use that time to play another round of golf where you already are.

DT

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2013, 02:33:35 PM »
Hillside is the most overrated course in England.

If you enjoy comedy don't miss the Edinburgh Fringe Festival during the whole of August, it's brilliant and easy to get to by train if you stay in North Berwick. However East Lothian is again too much driving when you can straight line from Turnberry and spend extra time in St Andrews, no extra days there are wasted.

Do not ignore the Dornoch advice, David Tepper is a member and will encourage anyone to play there, so when a member tells you your trip involves too much driving its good advice.
Cave Nil Vino

Parker Reeves

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2013, 02:37:40 PM »
Thanks for the advice everyone.  Let me change up my thought a little bit.  When looking at our schedule and time arrangements, here is what we have:

August 14th - AM Work, PM golf near Hoylake

August 15th - AM Work, PM Golf near Hoylake, drive to Scotland afterwards

August 16th - 36 holes - Scotland

August 17th - 36 holes - Scotland

August 18th - 18 or 36 holes - Scotland

Now let's see what we can drum up :)  I will change the original post to mirror this.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2013, 02:39:36 PM by Parker Reeves »

Brent Hutto

« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2013, 02:47:18 PM »
I would say work, then golf, then driving half the length of the UK, then checking into some accommodation, then two rounds of golf the next day is quite a full 36 hours. The trip you're describing is not remotely like a 150-mile trek on a USA interstate highway, two hours on cruise control. It's a major journey in its own right, even assuming you hit no traffic complications.

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2013, 02:54:41 PM »

I have not played Hillside, but I've heard that comment from several different sources.

If you enjoy comedy don't miss the Edinburgh Fringe Festival during the whole of August, it's brilliant and easy to get to by train if you stay in North Berwick

The Fringe Festival is definitely lots of fun and a great way to experience Edinburgh. Also, take your Dad to the Military Tattoo if you have the opportunity... you might not want to hear another bagpipe as long as you live, but there is nothing like it to give you the Scottish fever!
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

jeffwarne

« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2013, 03:06:53 PM »
I've been accused of a lot of windshield time but...
if you insist on combining Scotland and Hoylake area, stop at Silloth on the way....say on the 16th
 and pick one other area say
west coast near Turnberry (and fly out of Glasgow) or east coast near Muirfield/St. Andrew's and fly out of Edinburgh)
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Parker Reeves

« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2013, 03:09:18 PM »
I've been accused of a lot of windshield time but...
if you insist on combining Scotland and Hoylake area, stop at Silloth on the way....say on the 16th
 and pick one other area say
west coast near Turnberry (and fly out of Glasgow) or east coast near Muirfield/St. Andrew's and fly out of Edinburgh)

Haha I understand.  Yep, Hoylake is a must as that is where I'm going for work, and Scotland is a must as well.  We have a week or so to get in what we can.

Brent Hutto

« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2013, 03:23:01 PM »
Play at Hoylake and Birkdale, then give yourself a travel day before tackling the courses you've looking forward to in Scotland.

Parker Reeves

« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2013, 03:24:03 PM »
Unfortunately, I can't play at Hoylake.  British Boys will be taking place that week.

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2013, 03:44:24 PM »

It might be one of the biggest opportunities missed but it is still worth playing.

Parker,

There is so much good golf around Liverpool, Southport & along that coast I would not look any further.

Hoylake, Wallasey, Formby (Staying in the Dormie is not to be missed and including Formby Ladies if you can get on), Southport & Ainsdale, Hillside, Birkdale, Hesketh, Lytham St. Annes (staying in the Dormie again), ST. Annes Old, Blackpool North Shore, Morcambe (often over looked) are just a few of the good golf destinations to go for all close to your starting point. Your original plan is cramming a lot of miles in the car and too little time on the course.

I would suggest staying around Southport and doing Scotland on a separate trip. If Scotland is a must then base yourself in either Prestwick, Gullane, St. Andrews or Brahan ;D and just do the courses around there.

Jon

Chris Shaida

« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2013, 04:27:29 PM »
Unless you are really convinced this a once-in-a-lifetime thing, take the above advice and concentrate your time in Scotland around one location.  You might even consider a train from Liverpool to Edinburgh -- very civilized way to travel. From Edinburgh you can easily get to Gullane, North Berwick and Muirfield by train or bus.  And the bus or train to St Andrews is also quite pleasant.  Edinburgh is a FANTASTIC city.  Lodging at many price points (although probably pricier during the festival) and lots of good food (not to mention the drink!). 

Mark Pearce

« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2013, 05:17:33 PM »
If driving from Lancashire to Scotland a detour to Silloth is excellent advice.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2013, 06:34:09 PM »
Parker - now you've explained the trip why go to Scotland? You've the makings of a great trip at Lytham, Birkdale, Formby, West Lancs, Alwoodley and Ganton virtually on the doorstep.
Cave Nil Vino

Parker Reeves

« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2013, 07:06:51 PM »
Scotland is a dream my father and I have had for a long time.  We don't have the opportunity to get over there often (this is the first time we've been able to) and we want to go to St. Andrews.  I've walked the grounds but haven't played.  My father has never been there.  We want to do it while we can.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back