News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Connor Dougherty

Re: Resume and Recommendation
« Reply #50 on: May 21, 2013, 09:35:30 PM »
Connor...

Given that I have a burning desire to play Royal Melbourne, what Sandbelt course would you suggest as a good compliment to it?

Oh and besides being a great course, Kingston Heath sits directly next to the commuter airport where you catch Vortex Air to fly back and forth to Barnbougle.

Bart

Aside from what was mentioned, I thought that Yarra Yarra was good, but outside of the par 3's wasn't particularly special. Metropolitan's front 9 was magnificent given it's flat ground, but the back felt like another course. I was glad I saw it, but the only reason I would want to go back is to get revenge on a golf course that tore me apart last time :D.

I really wish I had seen Commonwealth. I hadn't heard much about it before going, but now that I have read up on it, I'm really disappointed I missed it. Kingston Heath, RM East, and Victoria were all closed for various reasons when we were there, so it's on my short list of places to go back to (especially with the work recently completed on Victoria)

So, for 4 rounds when I go back:
RM (Both courses)
Kingston Heath
Commonwealth

Then I'd see Victoria, Yarra Yarra, and then Metropolitan in that order after those 4.

Kingston Heath is a wildly different property compared to RM West, and then the other two courses would cover two different architects on Sandbelt soil

Take the rest of the time to go down to the Mornington Peninsula. It was well worth the hour drive to see St. Andrews Beach (just for the land alone) and I would love to see Norman's work at the National's Moonah course and Barwon Heads.

Connor
"The website is just one great post away from changing the world of golf architecture.  Make it." --Bart Bradley

Scott Warren

« Reply #51 on: May 21, 2013, 11:48:37 PM »
Connor and Mac,

Peninsula (North) gets little talk, but for my money should be included on any Sandbelt itinerary with RM West, Kingston Heath, RM East. I haven't played Commonwealth or Victoria yet.

On the Mornington Peninsula: St Andrews Beach, National (Old) and National (Moonah) are the leading lights.

On the Bellarine Peninsula: Barwon Heads and Thirteenth Beach (Beach).

The Bellarine and Mornington peninsulas are each about 90mins from central Melbourne, and you can get from one to the other by a short ferry ride.

Connor Dougherty

« Reply #52 on: May 22, 2013, 05:05:45 AM »
Connor and Mac,

Peninsula (North) gets little talk, but for my money should be included on any Sandbelt itinerary with RM West, Kingston Heath, RM East. I haven't played Commonwealth or Victoria yet.

On the Mornington Peninsula: St Andrews Beach, National (Old) and National (Moonah) are the leading lights.

On the Bellarine Peninsula: Barwon Heads and Thirteenth Beach (Beach).

The Bellarine and Mornington peninsulas are each about 90mins from central Melbourne, and you can get from one to the other by a short ferry ride.

Scott thanks for the clarification on the location of Barwon Heads. I've heard little about Peninsula's North course but after doing some quick research it looks very interesting. Tack it onto the first 4 courses I listed.

Connor
"The website is just one great post away from changing the world of golf architecture.  Make it." --Bart Bradley

Garland Bayley

« Reply #53 on: May 22, 2013, 02:04:38 PM »
I don't think my resume will be complete until I've played Canyon Springs in Twin Falls.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Mac Plumart

« Reply #54 on: May 22, 2013, 02:07:10 PM »
GJ...

Why?
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #55 on: May 22, 2013, 02:11:25 PM »
Mac,

Because I will get to meet Dave.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Mike Hendren

« Reply #56 on: May 22, 2013, 02:26:04 PM »
NLE Doak courses.

Bogey
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Mac Plumart

« Reply #57 on: May 22, 2013, 02:27:49 PM »
Mac,

Because I will get to meet Dave.

Awesome!
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Dave McCollum

« Reply #58 on: May 24, 2013, 12:43:12 PM »
I’m just checking back in after some days off dealing with all the stuff that happens when you’re stupid enough to be involved in golf as a business instead of a hobby.  Still, despite the thousands of things on the to-do list at any given time, it’s more fun than having a real job.  I don’t get to do it very often, but there is nothing I like more than playing golf and talking about golf courses.  So, it would be my pleasure to welcome any and all of you golf nutcases to Canyon Springs for a bit of both.  My personal delusion is that most folks on this site would enjoy the 1-2 punch of golf in the Snake River Canyon:  Canyon Springs and the Blue Lakes CC on the other side of the river.  The two or three architects I’ve shown around didn’t seem disappointed. 

I’m less certain about my appeal as your host and guide.  If you can put up with me, however, that will be about the only price you’ll pay for the golf.  We can’t offer anything worthy of being a bucket list destination for this discriminating crowd.  That’s not what we are all about.  We’re just into fun golf in a cool place.

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #59 on: May 24, 2013, 02:16:05 PM »
Dave,
Hope you can make it to Wine Valley.

Play Oakhurst. I did it on the way from Gettysburg to Willamsburg. I know.
Otherwise, figure out how to play with old equipment, guttas, feathery replicas, hickories.
This year I'll play sand greens for the first time.

If you are travelling to GB&I get a comprehensive course directory and look for the sub 70 par/SSS. Research and play a couple.

Jud_T

« Reply #60 on: May 24, 2013, 02:38:39 PM »
I’m just checking back in after some days off dealing with all the stuff that happens when you’re stupid enough to be involved in golf as a business instead of a hobby.  Still, despite the thousands of things on the to-do list at any given time, it’s more fun than having a real job.  I don’t get to do it very often, but there is nothing I like more than playing golf and talking about golf courses.  So, it would be my pleasure to welcome any and all of you golf nutcases to Canyon Springs for a bit of both.  My personal delusion is that most folks on this site would enjoy the 1-2 punch of golf in the Snake River Canyon:  Canyon Springs and the Blue Lakes CC on the other side of the river.  The two or three architects I’ve shown around didn’t seem disappointed. 

I’m less certain about my appeal as your host and guide.  If you can put up with me, however, that will be about the only price you’ll pay for the golf.  We can’t offer anything worthy of being a bucket list destination for this discriminating crowd.  That’s not what we are all about.  We’re just into fun golf in a cool place.

Snake River Canyon is worth seeing in its ownself.  Golf is merely a bonus.
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back