News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jim Sherma

The Gordons - where do they fit?
« on: May 18, 2013, 07:39:28 PM »
Reading the Gulph Mills thread it always amazes me how many courses either one or both of the Gordons have had their hands on. Growing up in Bethlehem I played as a junior on Bethlehem Municipal and numerous rounds on Saucon Grace, both Gordon courses. I have a few questions about them

1: I always heard William and David referred to as a singularity. Was there a distinction to their combined work as opposed to their work individually.

2: Where do the Gordons fit into the timeline? Are they part of the big and brawny era of RTJ and Dick Wilson, or does their work fall somewhere else?

3: With the William Flynn connection the Gordons clearly have good architectural pedigree. What are their defining traits and what are thought to be their crowning achievement, Saucon Weyhill, Grace or others?

Thanks

Bill Brightly

Re: The Gordons - where do they fit?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2013, 08:17:32 PM »
I would say definitely part of the big, brawny RTJ and Dick Wilson era.

I think SV Weyhill is their best, SUPERB use of natural landforms, followed by SV Grace and Stanwich.

Jim Sherma

Re: The Gordons - where do they fit? New
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2013, 02:55:39 PM »
I would say definitely part of the big, brawny RTJ and Dick Wilson era.

I think SV Weyhill is their best, SUPERB use of natural landforms, followed by SV Grace and Stanwich.

Being quite familiar with both Saucon courses I'm not surprised that they are at the top of the list.

I always thought that the idea that Weyhill was far superior to grace came from the mythical status that Weyhill had back when it was a club within the club. it was almost more myth than fact back then. I laid eyes on it a few times in the early 1980's when my dad and I had reason to stop by Morry Holland's house. There was never anyone on it and it was very rare to even meet anyone who had ever played it. Both are certainly wonderful courses and I always felt that the Grace deserves a little more love.

Found this thread in the search function and might be of interest: http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,145.0.html
« Last Edit: May 20, 2013, 03:03:40 PM by Jim Sherma »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back