News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Kavanaugh

Re: I hate to say it but some guys are just stupid.
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2013, 08:41:58 PM »
The twosome that went through us and six other groups did not putt on 13 so they could drive up on us while we were on 14 tee.  We let them hit and sat waiting as they each lost a ball on their approach shots to 14.  They picked up and went to 15 tee without finishing 14 either in an apparent hope to catch the group in front of us.

If they had simply played a regular game they could have entered the lives of fewer people. While I don't have proof I can't see anyone enjoying their presence.

Here is the good news...I have been a huge customer of his in the past...bye, bye.

Jason Walker

« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2013, 08:55:43 PM »

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2013, 09:02:18 PM »

A declaration of faith.

When I rarely play as a twosome we simply skip the occupied holes and come  back to play them later.

Jason Walker

« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2013, 09:30:57 PM »

A declaration of faith.

When I rarely play as a twosome we simply skip the occupied holes and come  back to play them later.

John--

I tempt fate enough as it is.

And I agree.  I go as a single and/or double quite a bit and simply skip around.

J Cabarcos

« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2013, 05:37:34 PM »

A declaration of faith.

John--

I tempt fate enough as it is.

And I agree.  I go as a single and/or double quite a bit and simply skip around.

For those of us that are accustomed to playing in 3 hours or less, skipping around is the only solution when the course is dotted with "golfers" slapping it around.

Paul Gray

« Reply #30 on: May 22, 2013, 06:00:13 PM »
You want stupid, try defending a twosome that plays in a manner to go through 7 groups in 14 holes. They made 28 people miserable for what purpose?  It wasn't golf.

I find it hard to believe they made 28 people miserable.  You would need a pretty big ego to take someone playing through as an insult.  Your club either has the worst membership in the world or you are unfairly extrapolating your own insecurities onto your fellow members. 

I can only speak for myself and playing partners. They bragged about how they had gone through six other groups. Perhaps I was the only golfer not happy for their accomplishment.  I've had the same guy play through us as a single at 10am on a Sunday morning.  This is his sport, it is not golf.

I'm 100% with David.

Please explain to me just what made you, and apparently 27 other people, miserable? Seriously, what is miserable about letting players play through?

I often find myself in both camps. Supposedly I can play to a half decent standard and regularly, when playing with similar players, find myself waiting on groups. However, I do play golf once a fortnight or so with my Dad and he is a terrible golfer. Calling quicker players through gives both he and I a sense of pleasure in that we feel we are doing the right thing. A knowing nod and a gentle ribbing of my Dad as I vocalise to the faster players that I'm ashamed to be on the course with him (all in jest, you understand) and everyone is happy.

John,

I'll ask again: what makes you miserable about allowing faster players play through? Apparently now it upsets you so much you will refuse to buy anything from anyone that dares to do so.

It's there, clear as day, in the rules of golf. You'll find it towards the front under the heading 'Pace of Play.' Do you consider these rules not worthy of your obedience?

Please be so good as to explain.
In the places where golf cuts through pretension and elitism, it thrives and will continue to thrive because the simple virtues of the game and its attendant culture are allowed to be most apparent. - Tim Gavrich

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #31 on: May 22, 2013, 06:15:42 PM »
Paul,

7 groups in 14 holes is not playing golf. I only witnessed two holes and they did not putt on either. I only wish for people to play at the same pace behind me as they do in front.

We have a beautiful practice area and nature walk. The golf course should be reserved for golf.

This thread started because the OP thinks two guys out enjoying themselves in a manner different than him are stupid. I think two guys who believe they can play through 7 groups are rude. I like my position.

You like hitting into people to teach them a lesson. That is criminal.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #32 on: May 22, 2013, 07:18:44 PM »
I'm kinda sorry I started this thread. It was tongue in cheek about an experience I had that I'm sure most here have had.  Some folks seem
Oblivious to those behind them. I don't understand why two guys in Cart have to drive to each ball. I don't understand guys taking practice shots with folks behind them. I don't understand parking the cart 20 yards in front of the green and leaving it there while they putt out.  My problem isn't
a twosome playing slowly. Playing at a decent pace isn't rocket science. It just takes common sense. But as a friend if mi e told me, "you can't teach common sense."
« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 10:53:37 PM by Tommy Williamsen »
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Paul Gray

« Reply #33 on: May 22, 2013, 07:19:16 PM »
John,

Again, as I've already clarified, I do not hit at people to teach them a lesson. I don't hit at people at all. That is, as you said, criminal, not to mention dangerous. I wouldn't be party to it.

And again, whether they had played through one, seven or seventeen groups, how does that effect you? Presumably, given their pace, they weren't long on the tee getting through you. I appreciate that they subsequently lost balls, but we all do that. Even having done so, I can't imagine they suddenly slowed down to PGA Tour pace, therein leaving you waiting for the remainder of your round.

Tell your stories, take six hours, be as adamant as you like that your pace is the right pace. I respect that entirely. Just be courteous enough to not force your pace onto others. In short, move when caught up with. Is that so hard? Is it so unreasonable?
In the places where golf cuts through pretension and elitism, it thrives and will continue to thrive because the simple virtues of the game and its attendant culture are allowed to be most apparent. - Tim Gavrich

archie_struthers

« Reply #34 on: May 22, 2013, 08:02:38 PM »
  ;D :D ;D

At my home club at the Jersey Shore, Greate Bay  (Park 1923-25)  , the  average play time is well under 4 hours . It is a difficult course for the expert  , smallish greens,, only two  par fives, but has  few hazards to lose a lot of golf balls. Our members play very fast as a rule, and it has made 90% of them happy. We almost never get a complaint about fast play and not many about slow play.

Common sense should dictate !  If we run up on a slow group in the evening , we ask politely if we can go around them , and skip a hole. It makes everyone happy .  Anyone who expects to play thru everyone on a busy day needs to chill, and enjoy the day. This being said , our members try hard to move it out , to the happiness of almost everyone that plays here. Hard work by members and staff to integrate this into the program has been a good thing. In the Tommy Williamson case , the two thirty year olds were rude and certainly need a lesson in etiquette from the golf pro!
« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 08:09:41 PM by archie_struthers »

Tim Martin

« Reply #35 on: May 22, 2013, 08:33:52 PM »
 ;D :D ;D

At my home club at the Jersey Shore, Greate Bay  (Park 1923-25)  , the  average play time is well under 4 hours . It is a difficult course for the expert  , smallish greens,, only two  par fives, but has  few hazards to lose a lot of golf balls. Our members play very fast as a rule, and it has made 90% of them happy. We almost never get a complaint about fast play and not many about slow play.

Common sense should dictate !  If we run up on a slow group in the evening , we ask politely if we can go around them , and skip a hole. It makes everyone happy .  Anyone who expects to play thru everyone on a busy day needs to chill, and enjoy the day. This being said , our members try hard to move it out , to the happiness of almost everyone that plays here. Hard work by members and staff to integrate this into the program has been a good thing. In the Tommy Williamson case , the two thirty year olds were rude and certainly need a lesson in etiquette from the golf pro!

Archie- The culture of the club sets the tone and Greate Bay gets it. Much tougher when you are dealing with a public golf course.

Lloyd_Cole

« Reply #36 on: May 22, 2013, 09:44:53 PM »
I'm kinda sorry I started this thread. It was tongue in cheek about an experience I had that I'm sure most here have had.  Some folks seem
iblivious to those behind them. I don't understand why two guys in Carr have to drive to each ball. I don't understand guys taking practice shots with folks behind them. I don't understand parking the cart 20 yards in front of the green and leaving it there while they putt out.  My problem isn't
A twosome playing slowly. Playing at a decent pace isn't rocket science. It just takes common sense. But as a friend if mi e told me, "you can't teach common sense."
Tommy, you're right. Don't worry.
John is being John. That said a twosome getting to the first tee, seeing the course full of 4somes, would IMHO be fairly obnoxious to play as fast as they could and expect all the groups to let them through. Clubs like Walton Heath have it right - 4balls between these hours, 2balls between those. That's not difficult. And if you're in the US on a cart and you're waiting - go and find a clear hole.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #37 on: May 23, 2013, 04:14:45 AM »
I'm kinda sorry I started this thread. It was tongue in cheek about an experience I had that I'm sure most here have had.  Some folks seem
iblivious to those behind them. I don't understand why two guys in Carr have to drive to each ball. I don't understand guys taking practice shots with folks behind them. I don't understand parking the cart 20 yards in front of the green and leaving it there while they putt out.  My problem isn't
A twosome playing slowly. Playing at a decent pace isn't rocket science. It just takes common sense. But as a friend if mi e told me, "you can't teach common sense."
Tommy, you're right. Don't worry.
John is being John. That said a twosome getting to the first tee, seeing the course full of 4somes, would IMHO be fairly obnoxious to play as fast as they could and expect all the groups to let them through. Clubs like Walton Heath have it right - 4balls between these hours, 2balls between those. That's not difficult. And if you're in the US on a cart and you're waiting - go and find a clear hole.

At least if you're riding you've got a place to sit while you're waiting.   ;D

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back