News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tommy Williamsen

I hate to say it but some guys are just stupid.
« on: May 18, 2013, 05:45:09 PM »
My buddy and I get to the club about 2:00 and skip the practice tee and go right to the first tee.  Next to the practice green are two 30 year olds.  We walk past the green to the tee.  When we get to the tee the two other guys drive up in their cart.  Since we are both in our 60's and walking we tell them to play on.  For the next six holes we wait on almost every shot.  Finally on the 7th tee they ask us to play through.  I couldn't figure out what they were doing.  They weren't dreadful players but they were never ready to hit when it was their turn.  How hard is it to figure out that when it is your turn to play you just hit the xxxxing ball?  With all the talk about slow play don't people pay attention?

Sorry for the rant but I feel better.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Brent Hutto

Re: I hate to say it but some guys are just stupid.
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2013, 05:57:54 PM »
Tommy,

I'm amazed at all the things people consider part of "playing golf" that have nothing to do with hitting a ball with a club. It may be taking practice swings, telling long shaggy-dog stories between shots, chatting up the beverage-cart attendent, trimming a cigar and going through an elaborate ritual of lighting and puffing on it, fishing for golf balls not your own in every pond you pass.

The common thread in all these is that while you're standing there perplexed and waiting for some idiot to hit the darned ball, he thinks he is "playing golf" even while he does things not even tangentially related. Golf means different things to different folks, apparently.

Bradley Anderson

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2013, 09:24:32 PM »
This can be very frustrating for those of us who are greenkeepers. When you are out trying to get a job done and waiting on people to hit the ball. It always amazes me how much time some people take to play the game. And generally it is the walkers waiting on the cart golfers. Go figure.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2013, 09:26:24 PM »
Tom, did you ask them why they suck at game management? They would certainly have benefited from your lesson.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2013, 09:54:38 PM »
Blessed are those who enjoy their games for those who rush end up at work.  Tommy, ask yourself who had a better day before you proclaim who is the fool.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2013, 10:05:43 PM »
Blessed are those who enjoy their games for those who rush end up at work.  Tommy, ask yourself who had a better day before you proclaim who is the fool.

John, I had the better day.  I was even par. 
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2013, 10:28:28 PM »
Two days ago on the 14th hole we let a twosome through. They didn't remove the pin on the 13th green to make sure they could run up on us as we walked off the tee. We were the 7th group they had gone through that day. I hope they were even par.

I have reached a point in my life where I play golf with good friends at courses that I love. The only thing that improves my experiences are the stories, both good and bad, that we share along the way.

Tommy, think on this for a minute.  When was the one time in the life of Jesus that he rushed? How did that work out for him? Selfishness is the fuel that feeds the flame of impatience.

Paul Gray

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2013, 06:07:51 PM »
.....Selfishness is the fuel that feeds the flame of impatience.

Yes John, in this instance the selfishness of the likes of you that apparently think it's your right to dictate that everyone else should be 'enjoying' a five hour round.

I bet you're a joy to follow around. Next time one flies passed your ear, look a little closer at your own behaviour. 

Tell as many stories as you like, just try playing golf at the same time.
In the places where golf cuts through pretension and elitism, it thrives and will continue to thrive because the simple virtues of the game and its attendant culture are allowed to be most apparent. - Tim Gavrich

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2013, 07:28:48 PM »

Yes John, in this instance the selfishness of the likes of you that apparently think it's your right to dictate that everyone else should be 'enjoying' a five hour round.

I bet you're a joy to follow around. Next time one flies passed your ear, look a little closer at your own behaviour. 

Paul,

Is saying that you will "fly one past my ear" a threat or a figure of speech?  Just what side of stupid are you on?

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2013, 07:32:08 PM »
Two days ago on the 14th hole we let a twosome through. They didn't remove the pin on the 13th green to make sure they could run up on us as we walked off the tee. We were the 7th group they had gone through that day. I hope they were even par.

I have reached a point in my life where I play golf with good friends at courses that I love. The only thing that improves my experiences are the stories, both good and bad, that we share along the way.

Tommy, think on this for a minute.  When was the one time in the life of Jesus that he rushed? How did that work out for him? Selfishness is the fuel that feeds the flame of impatience.

John, I don't feel selfish. We were not rushing. We even took the pin out. We just walked found our ball and hit it. We do have a rule. You can only talk when you are moving. What I find selfish is a group having a discussion on a green while people are waiting to hit. I'm not positive but I don't think Jesus ever played golf.
St. John of the Cross

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2013, 07:41:49 PM »
True, but if Jesus had played he would have asked to join the other twosome while they were on the putting green. Problem solved.

Sam Morrow

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2013, 08:35:26 PM »
Tommy,

Some people are stupid but you brought it on yourself when you offered to let them play through on 1, at that point you doomed yourself.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2013, 09:04:10 PM »
I don't care who you are or how quickly you play, you never pass an occupied putting green and proceed to the first tee without inquiring about who is next up. 90% of slow play issues can be cured before the first ball is struck.

You want stupid, try defending a twosome that plays in a manner to go through 7 groups in 14 holes. They made 28 people miserable for what purpose?  It wasn't golf.

Brett_Morrissy

« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2013, 09:25:51 PM »
Time and place are important in this discussion - if John is on a "quiet" course in the middle of no where, what is the hurry? Enjoy life to its fullest, and I agree that it is one of the best places to share stories, as well as the 19th.

The other side of the coin, is a full or fullish field on a comp day, where some guys get so worked up if they are held up for 5 mins, that even if they enjoy their golf, their playing partners do not. Staggering that I have played recent rounds in comp with guys going off searching for balls even after the actual stray ball is found, they are the ones who then jog to their own next shot, having fun - I don't think so - playing well - definitely not,
@theflatsticker

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2013, 09:49:22 PM »
It is no different than being behind some unfortunate woman at Walmart as she struggles to pay with an odd combination of food stamps, loose change and sweat. We have all felt the anger and hopefully the remorse for being such a dick. 

David_Elvins

« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2013, 10:56:31 PM »
You want stupid, try defending a twosome that plays in a manner to go through 7 groups in 14 holes. They made 28 people miserable for what purpose?  It wasn't golf.

I find it hard to believe they made 28 people miserable.  You would need a pretty big ego to take someone playing through as an insult.  Your club either has the worst membership in the world or you are unfairly extrapolating your own insecurities onto your fellow members. 
Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2013, 11:17:14 PM »

I find it hard to believe they made 28 people miserable.  You would need a pretty big ego to take someone playing through as an insult.  Your club either has the worst membership in the world or you are unfairly extrapolating your own insecurities onto your fellow members. 

I can only speak for myself and playing partners. They bragged about how they had gone through six other groups. Perhaps I was the only golfer not happy for their accomplishment.  I've had the same guy play through us as a single at 10am on a Sunday morning.  This is his sport, it is not golf.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2013, 12:07:06 AM »
Tommy,

Some people are stupid but you brought it on yourself when you offered to let them play through on 1, at that point you doomed yourself.

How so?  At that point they should be gone. 

Sam Morrow

« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2013, 01:00:10 AM »
Tommy,

How so?  At that point they should be gone. 

Never expect them to be quicker. I expect the worst in people, that way I'm very rarely let down. ;)

Paul Jones

« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2013, 09:32:54 AM »
I will only let someone (two-some at most) go through if a hole is clear in front of me - which is very rare.  Most of the time, if someone is pushing us, I tell them that there is a group in front and no where to go.
Paul Jones
pauljones@live.com

Paul Gray

« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2013, 03:23:25 PM »

Paul,

Is saying that you will "fly one past my ear" a threat or a figure of speech?  Just what side of stupid are you on?

John,

Just to be clear, it was only a figure of speech. We might well disagree on this issue but I'm not seriously planning on tracking you down and aiming golf balls at you.  :)
« Last Edit: May 20, 2013, 03:27:31 PM by Paul Gray »
In the places where golf cuts through pretension and elitism, it thrives and will continue to thrive because the simple virtues of the game and its attendant culture are allowed to be most apparent. - Tim Gavrich

Paul Gray

« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2013, 03:36:38 PM »

I can only speak for myself and playing partners. They bragged about how they had gone through six other groups. Perhaps I was the only golfer not happy for their accomplishment.  I've had the same guy play through us as a single at 10am on a Sunday morning.  This is his sport, it is not golf.

I'm 100% with David.

Please explain to me just what made you, and apparently 27 other people, miserable? Seriously, what is miserable about letting players play through?

I often find myself in both camps. Supposedly I can play to a half decent standard and regularly, when playing with similar players, find myself waiting on groups. However, I do play golf once a fortnight or so with my Dad and he is a terrible golfer. Calling quicker players through gives both he and I a sense of pleasure in that we feel we are doing the right thing. A knowing nod and a gentle ribbing of my Dad as I vocalise to the faster players that I'm ashamed to be on the course with him (all in jest, you understand) and everyone is happy.

Chris Shaida

« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2013, 04:32:49 PM »
It is no different than being behind some unfortunate woman at Walmart as she struggles to pay with an odd combination of food stamps, loose change and sweat. We have all felt the anger and hopefully the remorse for being such a dick. 

Of course Walmart takes food stamps but 'sweat'? Who knew?

Lou_Duran

« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2013, 06:42:59 PM »

John, I had the better day.  I was even par. 

Now, that's impressive.  But still had the need to rant?  Some people occupy a way different space than I do.

The bottom line is that the famous Rodney King's admonition for all of us to get along falls on flat ears.  There appears to be no happy medium.  Neither for the "it is not golf if it takes more than 3 hours" nor the "I worked hard all week and I am on the course for exercise and relaxation".  I do think that slow play is killing golf, but what can be done about it might be as difficult as asking the average person to look beyond his individual self-interest in that exact moment.  Few of us think we play slow- try telling one of your mates he is a slow player.  At the same time, there are a few guys who like to race around the course.  Both need to be more introspective.     

jeffwarne

« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2013, 07:28:23 PM »

I'm 100% with David.

Please explain to me just what made you, and apparently 27 other people, miserable? Seriously, what is miserable about letting players play through?

I often find myself in both camps. Supposedly I can play to a half decent standard and regularly, when playing with similar players, find myself waiting on groups. However, I do play golf once a fortnight or so with my Dad and he is a terrible golfer. Calling quicker players through gives both he and I a sense of pleasure in that we feel we are doing the right thing. A knowing nod and a gentle ribbing of my Dad as I vocalise to the faster players that I'm ashamed to be on the course with him (all in jest, you understand) and everyone is happy.

What if there had been 5 twosomes that wanted to play through the 28?
Ok for any of the 28 to be miserable? (well maybe not miserable ;))
Playing a two ball on a full 4 ball course, and expecting to go through everyone, is the same as playing a 4 ball on a two ball course and letting no one through.
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back