News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Dan Herrmann

Re: Us Open at Merion, what to expect?
« Reply #50 on: June 02, 2013, 03:03:35 PM »
I sure hope they remove the fencing because it could act like an ice hockey dasher board and cause a ball headed for OB to rebound back into play.

Jeffrey Conners

« Reply #51 on: June 02, 2013, 03:28:49 PM »
I just drove down Golf House Road and Ardmore Avenue.  It would be a travesty if that fencing along 2, 14 and 15 stays.

Bill Brightly

« Reply #52 on: June 03, 2013, 02:49:20 PM »
Mike Davis on the set up, including some great photos.

http://myphillygolf.com/detail.asp?id=13377

Phil McDade

« Reply #53 on: June 03, 2013, 03:09:35 PM »

I, for one, am skeptical when Mr. Davis starts talking about conditions being where he wants them. Fool me once....

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,48635.0.html (see reply #60 for Davis' backtracking re. Congressional in 2011).

mike_beene

« Reply #54 on: June 04, 2013, 12:22:40 AM »
Fencing down 14 and 15 is coming down from what he sais today.

Charlie Gallagher

« Reply #55 on: June 04, 2013, 04:47:30 AM »
Looking at the long range forecast on Accuweather  it could be wet periodically next week with possible rain on Saturday the 8th and intermitent periods of rain  through Open Saturday. It also does not appear that we're likely to get hot weather between now and the Open, 70's and low 80's. Merion drains prety well, though the lowest part of the property, 11th and 12th  holes, can remain soggy after rain. Doesn't look like it's going to get crusty. Could mean we'll see more drivers. Rough is going to be very tough, healthy and very thick, even if they cut the seed heads off.

ChipOat

« Reply #56 on: June 04, 2013, 07:50:58 AM »
Alas, deep wet rough will not completely offset softer greens as the guys that are playing well will hit more fairways and have less problems with their approaches.

Also, softer greens will make the putts from above the hole - even on #'s 12 and 15 - less dangerous.

David Graham's U.S. Open record could be in jeopardy if the weather forecasts are correct - although not by much.  The short par 4's he played are still the same (#'s 1,7,8,10,11), but three of the par 3's (#'s 3,9,17), one par 5 (#4) and the longer par 4's (#'s 5,6,12,14,15,18) are where 95% of the extra yardage has been added.  Only #'s 2 (par 5), 13 (short par 3) and 16 (formerly long par 4) are, essentially, the same distance as 1981 and, hence, will play shorter.

Also, I believe the new fairway bunkers on #'s 2 and 16 will create a challenge.

The players are better, but 10 of the 18 holes have considerably more teeth and the other two have new bunkers that could prove to be problematic.

Finally, damp, wet or (especially) bone dry, all 18 greens are still faster than 1981 and being above the hole will still be highly undesirable.

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #57 on: June 04, 2013, 08:11:49 AM »
Am really looking forward to seeing Merion on TV - I was fortunate to see the course a few years ago and will be interested to see how it plays for the pro's.

Hope they get a bit of wind and rain  - would love to see they handle it...

Charlie Gallagher

« Reply #58 on: June 04, 2013, 09:06:58 AM »
Chip,
     Great points. I do think if it is cooler and wet Mike Davis is likely to double cut and roll to make sure green speeds are 13, as he maintains the USGA wants.  The East course's greens seem to me to handle stress pretty well. Down hill putts at 13 on the stimp will be very challenging on holes  3, 5, 6, 7 and 12, 15, 16, 17, and 18. Merion's greens have lots of subtle little knolls and reading accurately will be vital in addition to controlling speed.

Terry Lavin

« Reply #59 on: June 04, 2013, 02:37:59 PM »
If the greens wind up receptive, the scores will be low, low, low.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #60 on: June 04, 2013, 02:44:31 PM »
Unfortunately, the Friday/Saturday forecast (June 7/8) this week is factoring in the possibility of tropical moisture ahead of a cold front.  In other words, a fair amount of rain.

Charlie Gallagher

« Reply #61 on: June 05, 2013, 07:35:05 AM »
Looking at Accuweather again today shows a prediction for slightly drier conditions than the previous forecast. Also looks hot for Open Sunday. If that holds up, that will take us more towards crusty. Merion will need to be nice and firm to defend its self. That, and deep rough.

mike_malone

« Reply #62 on: June 05, 2013, 09:19:34 PM »
 Tropical storm Andrea looks to make Merion soft. There seems to be no way that the present lush conditions here in Delaware County will change in the next week.
AKA Mayday

jeffwarne

« Reply #63 on: June 06, 2013, 12:13:50 AM »

Can Merion's greens accomodate actual 13 on the stimp?
At least he's not quoting a target of 14 and 15 on the stimp as he has the last couple years.......(even though they never sniffed that)
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Mark Buzminski

« Reply #64 on: June 06, 2013, 07:14:44 AM »
Justin Rose is on Morning Drive on Golf Channel this morning.  On Merion, he says the local caddies call "the first six a drama, the middle six a comedy, the final six a tragedy".   ;D

Terry Lavin

« Reply #65 on: June 06, 2013, 07:56:50 AM »
I expect forty players to break par next Thursday.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Howard Riefs

« Reply #66 on: June 06, 2013, 11:47:13 AM »
Justin Rose is on Morning Drive on Golf Channel this morning.  On Merion, he says the local caddies call "the first six a drama, the middle six a comedy, the final six a tragedy".   ;D

Graeme McDowell wasn't as dramatic with his tweet yesterday:

"...First 6 holes are tricky, middle 7 you can score from the fairway, last 5 are brutal."

https://twitter.com/Graeme_McDowell/status/342369323999952896
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #67 on: June 06, 2013, 01:31:02 PM »
Could be good info from the National Weather Service's technical discussion:
THE TROPICS ARE ALIVE AND WELL AS THE FIRST NAMED STORM OF THE VERY
YOUNG HURRICANE SEASON HAS OFFICIALLY FORMED. THE GOOD THING FOR OUR
REGION IS THAT THE FORWARD SPEED LOOKS TO BE RELATIVELY FAST. THE
CURRENT NHC FORECAST SHOWS THE REMNANTS OF THE STORM ACROSS THE
DELMARVA BY LATE FRIDAY NIGHT AND THEN OVER NOVA SCOTIA BY SATURDAY
NIGHT...A MERE 700 MILES IN LESS THAN 24 HOURS. THIS HOWEVER IS ALL
PREFACED ON A CONSENSUS TIMING AGREEMENT BY THE OPERATIONAL MODELS
AND SOME OF THE ENSEMBLE DATA AVAILABLE TONIGHT.

Terry Lavin

« Reply #68 on: June 06, 2013, 02:26:40 PM »
Can anybody post a live, streaming camera shot from Merion that would keep us advised on an hourly basis, at least, of what the weather is?

Bryan Icenhower

« Reply #69 on: June 06, 2013, 02:44:57 PM »
Can anybody post a live, streaming camera shot from Merion that would keep us advised on an hourly basis, at least, of what the weather is?

http://weather.weatherbug.com/PA/Haverford-weather/weather-cams/local-cams.html?zcode=z6286

2 miles away

Dan Boerger

« Reply #70 on: June 06, 2013, 02:54:19 PM »
Here's an insider hint ... perhaps the best brewpub I've ever been to is in Ardmore, PA. Extremely passionate about their beers. Small, rustic, but HIGHLY recommended. It's called "Tired Hands" and quite near the IHOP on Route 30.

For the record, I have absolutely no affiliation with the place. Just enjoy their product from time-to-time.

I can't wait to see how the 12th green will now play.
"Man should practice moderation in all things, including moderation."  Mark Twain

Mark McKeever

« Reply #71 on: June 06, 2013, 03:03:20 PM »
Dan,

A buddy of mine also told me a lot of good things about Tired Hands.  Ill have to go check it out on Friday after the GCA meetup.

Mark
Best MGA showers - Bayonne

"Dude, he's a total d***"

Joe Bausch

« Reply #72 on: June 06, 2013, 05:15:40 PM »
Here's an insider hint ... perhaps the best brewpub I've ever been to is in Ardmore, PA. Extremely passionate about their beers. Small, rustic, but HIGHLY recommended. It's called "Tired Hands" and quite near the IHOP on Route 30.

Dear Dan,

Thanks for the rec.

How close is that IHOP?

Sincerely,
E. Woods
---------------------
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Dean Stokes

« Reply #73 on: June 06, 2013, 05:35:20 PM »
I just spoke to a friend who knows many tour caddies and players....he said the report is that the course is amazing - condition/set up/architecture...... the logistics are bad. The course is hard to get to and the caddies are having to stay 10+ miles from the course which is taking 45 minutes plus to get to the course.....and the rooms that are in motel 6 type hotels are not a bargain this week ;)
Living The Dream in The Palm Beaches....golfing, yoga-ing, horsing around and working damn it!!!!!!!

Mike Hendren

« Reply #74 on: June 06, 2013, 06:15:40 PM »
Prime viewing spots appear to be the stands behind the 2nd, 4th and 14th greens and between the 10th green and 11th tee.  Thoughts?

Bogey
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back